Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

A pop-up owl bar?

(7 Posts)
Elegran Fri 27-Feb-15 11:19:56

A company have organised a pop-up owl cocktail bar in Soho, London, where for £20 customers can have two drinks and interact for two hours with live owls - six of them working shifts. Places will be allocated by a ballot, as it is expected to be very popular. It will be open for a week (8.30pm and 2am)

A start-up app company Locappy (its logo is an owl) is funding it and are working with The Barn Owl Centre in Gloucestershire to run it — all profits will also go to this owl charity.

Organisers have defended the project amid concern over the birds’ welfare. They say that the birds are accustomed to being around the public and expert handlers will be on hand.

However, owls have very sensitive hearing as they use sound to hunt, and a noisy bar with drink being taken does not seem a very comfortable environment for them.

A petition calling for Westminster Council to stop the owl bar from opening in Soho next month has attracted more than 2,000 signatures.

tanith Fri 27-Feb-15 11:23:55

Sounds like a hideous idea to me... Owls in a bar for goodness sake whatever next.. what happens if one of these often large birds decides to take off and flap around as seems to frequently happen when they are in the open air... either the bird or patrons could be hurt...

I'd sign the petition..

Elegran Fri 27-Feb-15 11:42:43

I am all for the public to meet real animals and see what they are really like, but a crowded bar could be very claustrophobic for them. They say that it will be a seated event and all participants who win the ballot will receive instructions, and I imagine that they will be taken round the tables by a handler.

I can't say I like it. They could have organised an event in a park, letting people near the birds for the same £20, and demonstrating their wonderful flight too by letting them go from one handler to another and get treats of little scraps of meat.

Why is it that promotional events always seem to involve alcohol?

MiniMouse Fri 27-Feb-15 11:55:03

Owls and alcohol? Disaster waiting to happen angry Can't imagine this is going to attract the 'right' sort of people. There will almost certainly be some idiot who's overindulged, or is just a Smart Alec (apologies to other Alecs), and does not follow the handler's instructions. Wrong on so many levels.

There must be a better way to raise funds. Elegran's idea of a park setting sounds far more sensible.

Elegran Fri 27-Feb-15 12:08:09

They only get two drinks in the actual venue - but nothing to stop them getting tanked up first.

MiniMouse Fri 27-Feb-15 12:12:18

Exactly my thoughts Elegran. It seems a bizarre mix - owls and alcohol. Of course, anyone could go to an owl sanctuary/reserve etc having had a few drinks, but a) that would probably only be the odd individual and b) it would be unusual I should think, as most people would be going out of interest, not just for entertainment.

I've signed the petition.

Tegan Fri 27-Feb-15 12:42:57

Christmas markets often have displays of birds of prey [at least they do round here] which are a good way of educating people about these beautiful birds. The don't fly; just sit on their perches. I doubt if the Barn Owl centre would agree to it if they felt the birds would be distressed; owls are, or so I've been told, pretty dumb compared to other birds of prey. The S.O. has a nephew who works with hawks and owls; I'm wondering if he could get in touch with him and ask what he thinks about it.