Gransnet forums

News & politics

Chris Huhne

(80 Posts)
POGS Mon 04-Feb-13 10:34:02

So after all the denials he has now pleaded guilty to Perverting The Course Of Justice. That must be his political career practically over do you think?. Having said that he is so sure of himself he is the sort to come out of it smelling like roses.

Barrow Mon 04-Feb-13 10:36:34

Looks like I posted a minute after you!!

POGS Mon 04-Feb-13 11:05:54

Barrow

Great minds think alike smile

bluebell Mon 04-Feb-13 11:37:40

What do you make of his wife's defence - seems to me it puts back the cause of marital equality somewhat

Ana Mon 04-Feb-13 11:41:11

It serves her purpose, though!

bluebell Mon 04-Feb-13 11:46:20

But does it? She's an internationally reknowned economist who is now putting herself forward as someone easily manipulated. Wouldn't it have been better to have a) not done it all b) having done it kept quiet about it 0r c) pleaded guilty and just said that at the time she was so worried about the impact it would have on him (millionaires can't afford taxis as we know) that she did it out of love and wifely concern

Marelli Mon 04-Feb-13 12:08:35

And, having resigned his position, he'll retain his salary as an MP and full pension rights. Anyone else would have faced imprisonment. hmm

bluebell Mon 04-Feb-13 12:09:50

Just been reading up on 'marital coercion' - 1925 Criminal Justice Act - Law Commission recommended it went as far back as 1977 as 'not suitable for modern conditions'. Apparently, the duress has to include threats of violence - so Huhne the wife beater now? What a mess!

absent Mon 04-Feb-13 12:11:00

Being caught out doesn't necessarily mean the end of a political career these days, does it?

bluebell Mon 04-Feb-13 12:15:16

I think for perverting the course of justice it will as he will almost certainly be going to prison and quite rightly so. Happened to both Archer and Jonathan Atkins (son?). Our justice system is predicated upon people telling the truth - I know some people won't - but if they are found to have lied, it HAS to be taken seriously.

bluebell Mon 04-Feb-13 12:20:06

Sorry - got it wrong about duress - not the same as marital coercion. Will be interesting to see how that is argued out in court. I don't want to get flippant but I can't help but wonder what my husband could threaten me with so that I would break the law for him..........

bluebell Mon 04-Feb-13 12:24:02

Just seen he's resigned his seat.

gracesmum Mon 04-Feb-13 12:52:51

Jonathan Aiken, I think you meant.

gracesmum Mon 04-Feb-13 12:54:36

BTW do we need three threads on Chris Huhne?
Why can't the other 2 be subsumed into this one (or vice versa or whatever?)

gillybob Mon 04-Feb-13 13:09:28

I think you will notice Gracesmum that the threads started by me, POGS and Barrow were started one minute apart so obviously crossed. I have apologised to POGS and the "spare" threads will eventually drop off the page.

smile

gillybob Mon 04-Feb-13 13:12:50

I am await the sentence with baited breath!

Agree with you Bluebell Once he knew he had been "outed" why could he not admit what he had done and take the consequences at the time. This fiasco has now cost a small fortune in lawyers, police time, court time etc.

Movedalot Mon 04-Feb-13 13:20:40

It seems to me that a crime is not a crime unless you are caught! Yet again one of them has denied it until they found out there was no escape.

Just heard that the maximum penalty is life imprisnoment!

gracesmum Mon 04-Feb-13 13:32:05

Tempting............hmm
So true, movedalot - the 11 the Commandment and all that.

bluebell Mon 04-Feb-13 13:39:28

I have really mixed feelings about her behaviour. Whilst I can understand at one level why she took the points for him, they both would have had plenty of time to think it through before agreeing to it and to reflect on potential consequences. I certainly couldn't have done it for professional if not moral reasons and I remain amazed that they both took the chance. But having done it, she dubbed him in when he left her for another woman.....now, you see there I have a lot of sympathy (no I haven't been left for a younger model!!) But the defence she's using??? We part company there - no wonder I'm confused. He'll deffo go to prison - as for her, I think she should at the moment but let's see how the defence plays out...

Ana Mon 04-Feb-13 13:42:16

She'll have been advised to use that defence, though, bluebell, as she doesn't really have any other defence which would stand up. Her lawyers have to do the best they can!

bluebell Mon 04-Feb-13 13:51:07

But Ana she could have gone for the 'wifely love and care' mitigation which could have got her some sympathy, especially considering the manner in which he dumped her. Also courts like guilty pleas don't they? As Gillybob says, look at the public money spent by the police, courts etc. As for advice from lawyers - bit like doctors really, approach with caution. And certainly a 'not guilty' plea means more daily fees for the lawyers, doesn't it? I just feel she's really risking her professional reputation with the coercion argument more that would have done with the wifely love bit etc. Anyway, all very interesting.....

bluebell Mon 04-Feb-13 13:52:22

(I'm at home with a terrible cold BTW which is why I am getting so interested - not up to anything else)

Ana Mon 04-Feb-13 13:54:47

As you say, bluebell, it will be very interesting to see how her defence is presented! Hope you feel better soon smile

Stansgran Mon 04-Feb-13 14:00:13

I do hope that they get fined as well enough to cover the waste of public money

gillybob Mon 04-Feb-13 14:04:03

Me too Stansgran but bearing in mind he is a multi millionaire lets hope that the fine is appropriate to his wealth.