Gransnet forums

News & politics

Chris Huhne

(81 Posts)
POGS Mon 04-Feb-13 10:34:02

So after all the denials he has now pleaded guilty to Perverting The Course Of Justice. That must be his political career practically over do you think?. Having said that he is so sure of himself he is the sort to come out of it smelling like roses.

BAnanas Mon 04-Feb-13 18:04:23

It seems Chris Huhne and Vicki Price's son's texts have been read out in court and they must have made very uncomfortable reading for him, as they don't paint him in a very good light. It will be interesting to see what kind of sentence he will receive.

bluebell Mon 04-Feb-13 19:25:42

How can parents do this to their children? Aitkin got his 18 year old daughter to lie in court for him - now this. Lying yourself is bad enough but to drag your children into it like this. Both of them must take responsibility - if they'd come clean and pled guilty years ago, their children would have been spared all the gory details of a trial. Now we've got a real media fest- what role models our leaders are!!

POGS Mon 04-Feb-13 20:46:36

gillybob, As I said to Barrow, great minds think alike. wine

I think he will recieve a prison sentence and I think that will be the correct thing to do. He has been adamant he was not guilty and has been taking his friends and the country for fools. He has cost the country a small fortune no doubt.

When I say he is the sort to come out of this smelling like roses I am thinking his political career as an MP may be well and truly over but he is cocky enough to get guest spots on programmes such as Newsnight in the not too distant future. Watch this space he will not be quiet.

It will be interesting to watch the bun fight in his Eastleigh constituancy won't it.

Ariadne Mon 04-Feb-13 20:53:58

Like that other dreadful couple...the name of whom completely escapes me, but hey carried on a fairly successful media career. Oh, WHO do I mean? She was all hairsprayed and jolly. #timetogotobed

Butty Mon 04-Feb-13 20:56:11

Ariadne - Are you thinking of the Hamiltons?

Ana Mon 04-Feb-13 20:56:44

Neil and Christine Hamilton?

POGS Mon 04-Feb-13 21:02:50

Ana

True, cash for questions wasn't it.

JessM Tue 05-Feb-13 17:33:22

There must be a lot of people who are very annoyed with him. Lib dems are because he was one of their cabinet members and has embarrassed them. Tories probably are because they are going to have to throw everything into fighting a byelection in a marginal seat against their coalition partners. Lib dems ditto.
People in energy world are annoyed because he was potentially an excellent minister in this area. Rare to get a politician who had run something in the real world and understood the area he was assigned to.
And probably all politicians annoyed too, because he had lied and done his bit to damage the reputation of all politicians, just as the expenses scandal was fading into the background.
Have to say that marital coercion has a dickensian ring to it. But I guess if faced with a prison sentence you'd let your lawyers do what they could.
His wife a fool to leak the story to the press. The perils of exacting revenge in a public arena.
I can't help gawping at the name Carina Trimingham. Sounds like a fictional character from one of those Posy cartoons the Guardian used to run.

susieb755 Tue 05-Feb-13 19:17:59

Jolly silly woman to have done it in the first place, and even sillier to own up to it and be hoisted by her own petard, and a selfish,shallow, stupid man who should have had the courage to admit his speeding, which I abhor, and faced the consequences....

bluebell Tue 05-Feb-13 19:44:09

I wonder how she would have felt if , after her illegal act, he had killed or injured anyone whilst speeding again - he did get caught using a mobile phone some years later. And I hope she's proud of what she's helped to do to her son - marital coercion - good grief and it only applies to wives ! I hope she has a prison term as well quite frankly

Ana Tue 05-Feb-13 20:12:55

Hell hath no fury..etc. At the time she probably thought she was protecting his career, with an element of self-preservation involved as well. I do feel you're being a bit hard on her, bluebell, although I, too, think she should definitely be found guilty and sentenced accordingly.

petallus Tue 05-Feb-13 20:23:03

It's probably quite common for a person with no or few points to take the points of someone who already has enough to be banned from driving.

A friend of mine moved to Australia and said it's quite common there.

Not all people who get points are speeding maniacs. I have had two fines for speeding, both times doing about 36 in a 30 mile limit but late at night with no-one around. In one case, the limit was later changed to 40.

Deedaa Tue 05-Feb-13 20:26:34

The thing that is so predictable is the multimillionaire going to those lengths to avoid losing his licence, when it would cause him no hardship at all! A typical case of being above the law and "Don't you know who I am?" Hope his lawyers hit him with a humungus bill as well!

annodomini Tue 05-Feb-13 20:34:17

The brazen Hamiltons were booked for speeding in roadworks on the M62, They got off because the managed to convince the court that they sincerely couldn't remember who was driving. The solicitor they used was the famous one who often gets celebrities off when they're charged with driving offences. Can't remember his name.

bluebell Tue 05-Feb-13 20:34:45

You're right - I am being hard on her. I suppose I have a problem with incredibly privileged people who think they can play by their own rules - I suppose that's most of them!! Most people don't have anything like their advantages and they've just chucked them away.

Ana Tue 05-Feb-13 20:36:05

Nick Freeman (aka Mr Loophole).

trendygran Tue 05-Feb-13 21:01:39

Yet another member of Government (until now ,anyway,) who believe themselves above the Law,as many others have said. I'm not surprised that his son won't have anything to do with him, but strongly object to him referring to his father as AUTISTIC. He clearly has no knowledge of Autism,and this reference is an insult to all those who are on the spectrum. I just hope he gets a realistic punishment ,but that his ex wife is treated more leniently,in spite of being sucked into his devious plan.

annemac101 Tue 05-Feb-13 23:33:48

A woman scorned is a dangerous one. And her husband has just found that out,silly man.

petallus Tue 05-Feb-13 23:47:07

Not as dangerous as men who are scorned though.

Greatnan Wed 06-Feb-13 00:05:03

Very true - on the whole women don't murder the men who reject them - or their children.

absent Wed 06-Feb-13 08:37:24

I reckon he has just hammered home the final nail in the coffin of public trust in MPs and she hasn't done much for feminism. I think that they are a loathsome, corrupt couple with nothing to choose between them.

bluebell Wed 06-Feb-13 08:40:33

Absent - perfect summation!

Riverwalk Wed 06-Feb-13 17:00:27

I'm surprised at my own reaction to this story ...... on the one hand I think he's a creep and am expecting him to go to prison for perverting the course of justice by lying; on the other am assuming that Mrs H will get a fine or something lighter because .... well I don't why!!

At the time, they were married and presumably happy and she was willing to lie a little to the police ... but she hardly seems a meek dutiful wife.

So both equally guilty?

Eloethan Wed 06-Feb-13 17:13:15

I agree with Riverwalk. For whatever reason, she decided to go along with this scheme, and, having done so, is hardly an "innocent" in all this. I can quite understand Mrs H's fury on finding out about her husband's affair but she agreed to go along with his plan at the time and her "outing" of it (and her willingness to publicly expose her family to all the ensuing publicity and muck raking) says a lot about her.

MrsJamJam Wed 06-Feb-13 17:13:18

I feel I must be terribly naive to feel so horrified that those in public life, with so many more advantages than most, feel perfectly comfortable with telling lies and putting all their efforts into not being found out.

Don't they feel any sense of personal responsibility?

As for what these two have put their children through ... don't know whether to feel sad or angry.