Gransnet forums

News & politics

Pope resigning

(140 Posts)
absent Mon 11-Feb-13 11:03:00

It is apparently breaking news that Pope Benedict is about to resign. This is certainly unusual. Is it unprecedented?

Bags Wed 13-Feb-13 08:30:21

But, "marriage, the act itself" (which could have more than one interpretation) is not mentioned in the passage you highlight. Only a wedding is mentioned. To my tortuous mind "wedding" is not exactly the same as "marriage, the act itself". In any case, the act of wedding/marrying the couple is not mentioned, only referred to. The wedding feast is what is spoken about.

#nitpickingforthehellofit! wink

Ariadne Wed 13-Feb-13 08:51:40

susie I agree totally!

absent Wed 13-Feb-13 09:07:50

I can nitpick too – depends on the translation. The authorised version calls it a marriage.

Bags Wed 13-Feb-13 11:27:13

That's the version I was reading. It says "There was a marriage at...." It does not describe the actual "marriage act". "Marriage act" is what bookdreamer wrote, not "marriage".

#pickierthanyou wink

"Marriage act" could be interpreted as what the minister of marriages does to the couple getting married, or it could refer to what the couple do in the marriage bed. What is mentioned in KHV John 2 1-11 is neither of those, as I read it.

Bags Wed 13-Feb-13 11:45:23

KJV, that should be hmm

bookdreamer Wed 13-Feb-13 16:25:58

I agree bags. What I can remember is that it's mentions about husbands and wives but not how to go about getting married. The actual "act", ceremony or what ever you like to call it.

JessM Wed 13-Feb-13 16:39:10

In the old testament polygamy was quite normal.
What about about the biblical prohibition on spilling your seed? Used as justification for prohibiting a number of activities.
It was in the Bible to do with a complicated rule about someone marrying their widowed sister in law and any firstborn of the union being considered legally the son of the dead man, not his brother who was the biological father. Onan used coitus interruptus to avoid this responsibility and was in such trouble with god that he died - pretty severe punishment.
But this has been used as reason to prohibit not only coitus interruptus, but all contraception and masturbation as well.

Lilygran Wed 13-Feb-13 17:29:54

Prohibition doesn't work, does it?

JessM Wed 13-Feb-13 17:49:35

Well prohibiting contraception seems to have worked at least amongst the poorer members of the popes flock. Of course italy has one of the lowest birth rates in the world - so it does not work these days with everyone.

Lilygran Wed 13-Feb-13 18:21:13

Birth rate has fallen wherever girls can go to school.

j08 Wed 13-Feb-13 22:40:06

sweet

soop Thu 14-Feb-13 13:45:03

Jings If those who fancy the figurine, donate the cash to Save the Children [instead] I would most certainly smile

j08 Thu 14-Feb-13 13:49:32

Oh I wasn't advertising it. Just thought it was quite funny. smile

soop Thu 14-Feb-13 14:03:23

Yep...it is humourous. Like the suitcase. smile