Gransnet forums

News & politics

Jeremy Clarkson

(688 Posts)
merlotgran Wed 11-Mar-15 13:35:59

Quite rightly he's being suspended but should the BBC be cancelling episodes of Top Gear?

If a man working in a factory punches a colleague he would probably be sacked but I doubt they'd remove the product he was making from the shelves.

MiniMouse Wed 11-Mar-15 13:43:21

I thought it was odd that they cancelled completely and didn't just leave Clarkson out. Seems unfair on the rest of the presenters and crew - and the viewers.

Anne58 Wed 11-Mar-15 13:50:21

Clarkson has got away with too much for too long. He thinks he's invincible and indispensable.

MiniMouse Wed 11-Mar-15 13:54:44

You're so right phoenix and of course it's nothing to do with the £££££ he brings to the Beeb hmm

loopylou Wed 11-Mar-15 14:01:34

Can't stand the man, he's insufferably arrogant, a misogynist and this time hopefully hasn't got away with it.
MiniMouse is right, sadly, they're gutless if he's reinstated.

Ana Wed 11-Mar-15 14:05:10

And a petition calling for JC's reinstatement already has more than 350,000 signatures! Ridiculous when we don't even know the full details of the 'fracas' yet.

loopylou Wed 11-Mar-15 14:07:06

Pathetic IMO

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 11-Mar-15 14:10:43

He makes a fantastic programme with the other two. The Beeb will be cutting of their nose to spite their face if they get rid of him. We need some bad boys. Life would be dull without.

soontobe Wed 11-Mar-15 14:16:33

He is a person that has got too big. But that does not mean that he can get away with things that others cant.
He has got to go.

tanith Wed 11-Mar-15 14:17:38

He's had enough chances and does he never learn..

loopylou Wed 11-Mar-15 14:20:33

Need a petition not to have him back!

merlotgran Wed 11-Mar-15 14:28:08

I agree his antics have become tiresome but I wouldn't like to see a namby pamby Top Gear.

loopylou Wed 11-Mar-15 14:29:06

Sorry, not a TG fan either..............

FlicketyB Wed 11-Mar-15 15:02:43

Remember Jimmy Saville got away with what he did because he was such a hot property and earned so much for the BBC that they decided to act like the three wise monkeys and ignore all the stories about him.

Jeremy Clarkson is obviously a violent man with no control over his temper. he thinks he is such a hot property that he is indispensable and can do what he likes. The BBC should not make the same mistake again.

grannyactivist Wed 11-Mar-15 15:08:04

loopylou, I had the same thought. smile

granjura Wed 11-Mar-15 15:15:05

Loopylou- was just thinking that- I'll sign.

Cagsy Wed 11-Mar-15 15:17:08

I'll sign too loopylou

ninathenana Wed 11-Mar-15 15:20:08

Love the programme but as far as I'm concerned they can replace all three presenters. They would need to find three that could bounce of each other in the same way though.

J.C. has had far to many chances.

absam1 Wed 11-Mar-15 15:29:06

The programme probably should still be aired but I think Clarkson's ego has just got too big and what sort of example does it set! If he's so talented - why does he need to resort to some of the other things he's got upto to get attention? He seems to think he's funny. We set up a petition to try and save lives from carbon monoxide poisoning and barely got 5K but here Clarkson gets 350K. I really think there are more important things in the world to be debating.

sunseeker Wed 11-Mar-15 16:47:36

We can't make judgments until we know the facts about what happened. However, I think he is a bully who uses his size to intimidate people, this isn't the first time he has hit out at someone (I believe he once attacked Piers Morgan).

The programmes which BBC are not showing have already been filmed and I presume the feeling is that as he is suspended they can't very well use them. I actually used to enjoy Top Gear but it is now just a platform for a bunch of overgrown schoolboys to race around in high powered cars, trashing them if possible.

Igranma Wed 11-Mar-15 16:48:57

I'm with loopylou,can't stand the man.
GS think he's great though.

PRINTMISS Wed 11-Mar-15 16:55:25

I do not think I am the only one who considers the 'antics' performed by the Top Gear team are responsible for the really bad driving by some young people. It has always seemed to me that Top Gear just goes right over the top in some of the things they do, and get away with - "Don't try this on the road" should be their slogan on some occasions, and as for Jeremy Clarkson I agree with those who dislike him; this is his third and final warning I believe, and I do not think it is asking too much of a man who is obviously extremely clever and inventive, to act sensibly and give some thought to what he might be encouraging other people to try in their cars. I am not sure if he did punch someone or not, but it seems he has a reputation.

vegasmags Wed 11-Mar-15 16:56:50

I can see the appeal of Jeremy Clarkson in that he takes things to the limit in a way that many regard as funny. I used to like Top Gear but found as time went on it became more like Last of the Summer Wine - three old blokes messing about. In recent years he seems to have developed into a parody of himself and to have behaved as if he can do and say as he pleases. I would guess that in real life he is a thoroughly unpleasant character.

Of course, he is a massive cash cow for the BBC, so we'll see they can reconcile this with a need to get him to toe the line.

Mishap Wed 11-Mar-15 17:21:45

Can't stand the programme - it treats cars as toys and not the lethal weapons that they really are.

Can't stand the man - he embodies everything that is loathsome in my eyes.

BEEB must get rid of him.

Where is this petition to get shot of him? - I'll be the first to sign!

JessM Wed 11-Mar-15 17:32:10

I don't like the way he campaigns against speed cameras and pours derision on "health and safety". People still die in the workplace and health and while this is happening, caution is important. And everyone knows that excess speed kills pedestrians.
In a week when 5 young people and an older woman were killed in two horrendous crashes, why do people idolise JC?
If it is shown on investigation that he has assaulted a member of BBC staff the BBC surely would have no terminate their relationship with him. Imagine if hitting people in the workplace was acceptable.
If it is shown he has assaulted a colleague I would also think the BBC should inform the police about the assault.