Gransnet forums

News & politics

Helping terror suspects

(8 Posts)
soontobe Sat 13-Jun-15 08:20:05

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/11668999/Twitter-and-other-firms-could-tip-off-terror-suspects-that-they-are-under-watch-by-spies-report-reveals.html

I dont think that Twitter and other companies should do this. Am I missing something?

vampirequeen Sat 13-Jun-15 10:23:22

I agree. Nothing to do with them. In fact, couldn't it be seen as an illegal act under the terrorism laws?

sunseeker Sat 13-Jun-15 11:05:42

Why don't all Twitter users contact the company and say they will stop using the site if the go ahead with this? Anyway, as I understand it Twitter is becoming less used now as other forms of social media take over.

soontobe Sat 13-Jun-15 12:04:10

Ah. I think my op is misleading.

I meant that I dont think that Twitter should tip off the terror suspects.

Shouldnt Twitter be on the side of safety of the general public? Shouldnt they be helping society?

soontobe Sun 14-Jun-15 19:14:46

If we had a suspected terror suspect living with us, we would report it, wouldnt we?
But we dont want Twitter to do it.

But if there was a bomb going off in Britain, and it was found that Twitter knew it was going to happen and did nothing, what would we think?

absent Sun 14-Jun-15 23:37:26

If the police or security services want to access data from Twitter or an ISP, they have the power to prevent the relevant body from informing the person under surveillance. If they are simply following what is being tweeted or said on internet sites, the providers would not necessarily know in the first place. Various governments around the world – UK, USA and New Zealand to name but three – seem to feel that they have the right to investigate the electronic activities of their own and other nation's citizens and, in my opinion, this is an extremely worrying trend. Also, collecting masses of data is of no use in itself; it's what's done in the light of the information that has value.

soontobe Sun 28-Jun-15 14:09:23

I still say that Twitter should not be helping terror suspects.

Telling potential bombers that they are being watched, is not on.

soontobe Sun 12-Jul-15 07:45:41

What is happening now, is that much of what IS writes on the internet is encrypted.
So the US Government is only able to read 20% of messages.
US citizens, through the internet on their phones, are being told either join the celiphate. Or else behead a US citizen. One senator[I think it was a senator] said it was like having someone on your shoulder, daily , telling them to kill kill kill.

Twitter, Facebook, Google, Microsoft and Yahoo apparentlytake down suspicious activity, but do not tell the Government.