Gransnet forums

News & politics

Pope on the side of environment

(24 Posts)
whitewave Tue 16-Jun-15 15:45:09

I see the Pope has commissioned a report (it isn't called that) that says that man is responsible for global warming.

He is also the most left wing Pope they have ever had - apparently - so won't go down well with the Republicans. They have already suggested that he butt out.

Hope he comes out with more good reports - like how the poor are getting poorer. How the rich are grabbing everything etc.

durhamjen Tue 16-Jun-15 17:25:52

This is included in the report, whitewave. He talks about how the world's poorest are caught up in a web of environmental. human, financial and ethical degradation that puts the entire planet at risk.

He also mentions that rich countries are looting the world.

Unfortunately the encyclical has been leaked, and there is as much discussion about who leaked it as about the letter itself.

Mishap Tue 16-Jun-15 17:36:08

Does he mention the need for population control I wonder?!

durhamjen Tue 16-Jun-15 17:42:57

192 pages long, so he might.

Ana Tue 16-Jun-15 17:55:58

I bet he doesn't!

whitewave Tue 16-Jun-15 17:57:55

This is a case where the messenger is almost as important as the message. I am not a Christian, but can appreciate that someone with such a wide congregation can have something of an impact in his message.

It must be worth saying if the Republican Evangelical Movement is unhappy about his politics.

Soutra Tue 16-Jun-15 18:01:58

Republican Presidential candidate Rick Santorum challenged Pope Francis to " leave science to the scientists".
Oops, Pope Francis only has a Master's in Chemistry from the University of Buenos Aires blush blush

whitewave Tue 16-Jun-15 18:12:35

Foot and mouth springs to mind grin The republicans are past masters at that.

Soutra Tue 16-Jun-15 18:24:42

And now Donald Trump has announced he is seeking the Republican nomination. Trump AND Jeb Bush -

<Be still my beating heart>

Ana Tue 16-Jun-15 18:40:10

Interesting, Soutra, but what it's got to do with the Pope and his environmental message I'm not quite sure...confused

Soutra Tue 16-Jun-15 18:47:20

Rick Santorum's comment was in response to Pope Francis's environmental stance which has angered Republicans and leading deniers. There is a link to an article in The Guardian, but I couldn't get it to work sad

Ana Tue 16-Jun-15 18:51:21

I meant about Donald Trump...confused

Soutra Tue 16-Jun-15 20:39:31

Ah, that followed on from Whitewave's comment about Republicans. That's all.

durhamjen Thu 18-Jun-15 21:25:48

act.350.org/go/7764?t=3&akid=6961.2200035.VUDiap

A bit too religious for me, but I have signed. We need as many religious people as possible to prevent Armageddon, even though some of them will be looking forward to it.

durhamjen Thu 18-Jun-15 21:30:56

t.co/QFb1fPN5su

The US has gone ahead with TPP on the day that the Pope calls for action on climate change.

whitewave Fri 19-Jun-15 10:29:17

It seems that the encyclical is being well received. - Well by all but far right. Hopefully this will go towards making a difference and a recognition that the poor world and it's billions of poor are creaking.

Pamish Fri 19-Jun-15 11:00:38

Until he reverses the ban on contraception, this is hypocrisy.

Mishap Fri 19-Jun-15 12:28:48

It's the billions of people that are the problem - and the pope is instrumental in making sure that those billions increase! Hypocrisy indeed!

whitewave Fri 19-Jun-15 19:48:21

Oh! and how are these billions of poor complicit in global warming?

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 19-Jun-15 20:03:09

It was good, what he said. And he did talk about the rich fleecing the poor.

We're all guilty of planet destruction. We are greedy.

durhamjen Fri 19-Jun-15 23:29:02

In which case we should all try to stop being so greedy and not take more than our fair share of things.
I agree with you, whitewave, it's far too easy to blame the billions of poor. It's well known that education results in smaller families. It's also easy to blame religion. Catholics do use contraception, whatever the Pope says.

durhamjen Fri 19-Jun-15 23:30:22

Anyway, most people know how babies are made. If you do not want them, do not have sex. Easy.

durhamjen Fri 19-Jun-15 23:32:32

www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jun/18/uk-reject-eu-plans-combat-multinational-tax-avoidance

These are not thinking of stopping the rich fleecing the poor.

thatbags Sat 20-Jun-15 07:52:32

The penultimate comment is silly. History shows not having sex is not an easy option.

As for the pope: he's just bandwaggoning – trying to say the popular thing. Saw a comment somewhere (not GN) yesterday that made me laugh: papal encyclicals are not renowned for being on message scientifically – Galileo is laughing. Or words to that effect.