Gransnet forums

News & politics

So, a terrorist suspect has had his tag removed

(13 Posts)
jinglbellsfrocks Sat 20-Jun-15 10:47:48

Because he was finding it so upsetting. And it was causing him anxiety. And disturbing his peace of mind.

And does anyone still not agree that we need our own UK Bill of Human Rights?

Nonnie Sat 20-Jun-15 10:55:59

Poor thng, it clearly upset him dreadfully confused

Anniebach Sat 20-Jun-15 10:56:39

The man has serious mental health problems , if a UK Bill of Rights means less protection for the vulnerable then no thanks

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 20-Jun-15 10:59:24

The vulnerable are his possible victims.

Anniebach Sat 20-Jun-15 11:06:02

True Jingle, but I think the coverage of this is so wrong, just heard on the news yet again the man has had the tag removed because of his human rights, this is not what the judge said , neither was it said it upset him . It was said the man had serious mental health problems and the human rights act protected him for this reason not because it upset him

Riverwalk Sat 20-Jun-15 11:24:10

If we accept that he has serious mental health problems and the tag is causing him to be suicidal then it's right for it to be removed.

GN's are usually so supportive of those with MH issues.

It's a tough call this one - if he's so unstable and has terrorist sympathies should he be out on the streets? hmm

Ana Sat 20-Jun-15 11:32:10

He apparently believes the tag contains a camera and a bomb which could be detonated if his appeal is granted.

durhamjen Sat 20-Jun-15 11:57:24

It's only the tag that has been removed. He still has the Tpim in place so is being monitored.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 20-Jun-15 12:04:14

Don't forget, it's people like him who are causing people to leave their homelands and risk their lives at sea.

Riverwalk Sat 20-Jun-15 12:20:00

He's a 39-year old Somalian refugee - it's entirely possible that he grew up in a war-torn situation and could have been a boy soldier - who knows how mentally damaged he is.

No compassion for him jings?

After all he is a only 'suspect' - not like the young man in Charleston who has killed nine but you have shown some feelings of compassion towards him.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here, BTW, also questioning my own feelings.

durhamjen Sat 20-Jun-15 12:28:10

I do not follow you, jingl. How is he causing people to leave their homelands?

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 20-Jun-15 16:09:33

He belonged to Al shabab in Somalia.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 20-Jun-15 16:14:10

He was "providing important support for them".