Gransnet forums

News & politics

a la carte Europe

(99 Posts)
TerriBull Sat 27-Jun-15 10:10:44

"Britain can't have an a la carte Europe" according to French Minister Emmanuel Macron. Should this not also apply to Eastern bloc countries such as Poland, Hungary and others who are signed up to the Schengen Agreement and who flatly refuse to take any of the migrants. Both these countries have significantly smaller populations than Great Britain. Is wishing to remain a mono culture a good enough reason to reject Italian Premier Matteo Renzi's proposal that the migrants that have been given shelter in Italy should be distributed around the EU. Is he not justified in his comments of "is this your idea of being European?" directed towards Eastern Europe or, is acceptable for them to only expect migration to go one way?

durhamjen Sat 27-Jun-15 11:16:57

If you look at the UNHCR website you will find that last year Hungary took 43,000 refugees, more than any other country in the EU except for Sweden.
This year 23,000 have applied for asylum there.
Last year Poland took over 29,000.
I do not see the fact that Poland only has half the population of Britain and Hungary only one sixth to be of significance.
The UK annual income per capita is 7 times that of Poland and 5 times that of Hungary. We can afford it.
What about, "Is this your idea of being European?" directed at Cameron?

Jane10 Sat 27-Jun-15 11:25:07

Its easy to say we can afford it but we actually simply cannot. Its not just a matter of money. Our way of life, NHS, housing, employment, culture and even safety is at risk. We already seem to be some sort of magnet for the dispossessed for whatever reason. Where would we draw the line? We'd be absolutely swamped by the African male economic migrants that we see on the news every day. (Syrian refugees are a different problem and should be helped.)
Yes that's harsh. Life is harsh. They should be helped to see how to improve their own original homes rather than just try to move here. I'm braced for a whole series of links from DJ but its what I really think and I don't think I'm the only one.

durhamjen Sat 27-Jun-15 11:33:34

Because we are the sixth richest country in the world?

soontobe Sat 27-Jun-15 11:34:57

People are always saying how awful it is on benefits.
Most of the people coming here will presumably be on benefits.

durhamjen Sat 27-Jun-15 11:40:31

Cameron wants to stop them claiming benefits until they have lived here for four years. The ECHR says it is against EU policies.
That's one reason Cameron wants to change the EU.

durhamjen Sat 27-Jun-15 12:05:52

Jane10, here is a link that you asked for. It supports what you say about Eastern European countries not wanting migrants.

theconversation.com/anti-immigrant-walls-and-racist-tweets-the-refugee-crisis-in-central-europe-43665

However, all I can think is, how is that different from the UK? We do not need to build a wall as we have a sea and channel in between. However, Cameron is wanting to send border police to France to stop anyone wanting to come here.
We're the sixth richest nation in the world but we only want rich people to come here. It's not right. This should be a moral issue, not a financial one.

soontobe Sat 27-Jun-15 12:14:28

durhamjen. Serious question.
You post negative stuff after negative post about Britain.
Yet you want others to come here.

So you are complaining a huge amount about life in Britain today, whcih as you rightly point out, is the sixth richest country on the planet.
Can you not see the irony in that?

durhamjen Sat 27-Jun-15 12:24:35

No. The irony is that we are the sixth richest country in the world yet we have people using food banks, and losing their homes because they have lost jobs or cannot afford the rent or mortgage.
We are the sixth richest country in the world because those at the top have so much more than those at the bottom.
We need to share, not just in this country, but in the EU and worldwide.

I have just opened my mail, which included a letter from Shelter. 443,000 people in England at risk of losing their homes. It absolutely sickens me. Next month Osborne will give the wealthiest people in this country a bribe in the form of lower taxes.

I want everyone in this country to realise the plight of those trying to escape from Africa and Syria. In the 70s I taught Vietnamese boatpeople. They had nothing when they arrived in this country. We did not tell them to go back where they came from.

soontobe Sat 27-Jun-15 12:27:37

So if it so bad here, why do you want others to come and share that misery?

durhamjen Sat 27-Jun-15 12:34:42

Can you not read, soon? We need to share. Not the misery, but the wealth. We should be wanting to help our fellow humans, not telling them there's nothing for them here.

Thatcher's idea of there being no such thing as society appears to have really rubbed off on you.

Jane10 Sat 27-Jun-15 12:36:57

It's 2 different issues. If we let anyone who wants to to come here the numbers of homeless people will increase at least a hundredfold. Taxation of the super rich won't help. They'll just leave. We'll all be left looking for another country to migrate to. 2 wrongs don't make a right!

soontobe Sat 27-Jun-15 12:40:07

But according to you, there is not wealth for those that will be coming here.
They will go straight onto benefits. Right now. Today or whatever. They are not suddenly going to be able to get a job as a postman. Or even a job on minimum wage are they?
And a life on benefits is all doom and gloom. According to you.
Which may well be true.

soontobe Sat 27-Jun-15 12:40:55

post to durhamjen

soontobe Sat 27-Jun-15 12:42:09

durhamjec. You are looking into the future. But migrants today have to experience what is on offer in Britain today.

durhamjen Sat 27-Jun-15 12:44:58

It would still be better than the life they are living now.

Juliette Sat 27-Jun-15 12:51:38

durhamjen we had the Vietnamese people here too, in fact I think they were distributed all over the UK. Many settled in the area and are still here but others were given the opportunity to go to Canada and Australia. It seemed to be a global problem back then. The world has moved on and I don't think you can compare it to how life was in the seventies, our attitude has changed both to our fellow citizens and those from overseas. Sad.

durhamjen Sat 27-Jun-15 12:53:10

Despite all Cameron's posturing, Jane, net immigration is the highest it's ever been. The more he wants to keep people out, the more determined they seem to be to come here. Perhaps he should just keep immigration out of the news for a bit.

petallus Sat 27-Jun-15 12:55:07

It would be useful if those who feel strongly that disadvantaged people should be let into this country could participate in some sort of scheme to make this happen, say paying into a fund or opening up spare rooms in their houses.

The problem, otherwise, is that if the UK allows large numbers into our country to share in resources which are already in scant supply (benefits, low skilled work, subsidised housing) the burden will fall disproportionately on the already poor and struggling of this country.

durhamjen Sat 27-Jun-15 13:00:03

Resources are not in short supply, petallus, they are just not shared.
I am sure that many of us do pay into funds such as charities to help refugees. However, it's not enough.

petra Sat 27-Jun-15 13:01:21

Soon. Very good. Never looked a Durhamjens posts in that light. It would be lovely if we could help everyone, but we can't. My objections ( to immigration) has never been about colour: it's numbers and some cultures.

Good posts, Jane10.

soontobe Sat 27-Jun-15 13:02:15

Mental health appointments will be virtually impossible to get.
Doctors appointments, special needs appointments.
Yes petallus. The poor and struggling will fail some more. Bound to.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 27-Jun-15 13:17:11

There is a lot of wealth in this country. Maybe it should be shared more fairly.

durhamjen Sat 27-Jun-15 13:19:03

Exactly my point, jingl.

A bit of myth busting, if you can bear to read the link ( not directed at you, jingl).

www.refugeecouncil.org.uk/policy_research/the_truth_about_asylum/facts_about_asylum_-_page_1

durhamjen Sat 27-Jun-15 13:39:27

Jane10, you should look at the Amazon thread. Super rich want to pay more tax.