Gransnet forums

News & politics

Interesting idea I read today

(39 Posts)
Jane10 Tue 30-Jun-15 20:42:34

I saw in a readers letter to a national newspaper an interesting suggestion: as we are plainly involved in a new kind of war -against terrorism - its the army we should be deploying to keep our borders safe rather than the police. We can't invade the countries to counter ISIS/Boko Haram/Al Quaeda etc but our armed forces should be used to keep us as safe as possible in our own country. I hadn't really thought about it in those terms but it was interesting to consider. What do people think?

Mishap Tue 30-Jun-15 21:39:18

The real defence against this threat is intelligence - I assume the army is involved in that in some way.

Jane10 Tue 30-Jun-15 21:45:07

I would hope so and MI5 etc. Sounds like several very serious potential planned attacks have been found out in time recently. Scary times

soontobe Tue 30-Jun-15 21:53:43

www.gransnet.com/forums/news_and_politics/1216680-Helping-terror-suspects

I am not sure what tanks and aeroplanes can do at the moment.

But I dont think that the intelligence should be thwarted.

rosesarered Thu 02-Jul-15 21:34:37

There will be lots happening behind the scenes to do with our security.It can be no accident that there hasn't' been another 7/7 since then.

rosesarered Thu 02-Jul-15 21:35:58

As mishap says, the intelligence services are our real security, not soldiers on our streets.

janerowena Thu 02-Jul-15 21:37:45

It's sad that it has come to that, but I suppose I agree. It makes sense to use everything we have.

Ana Thu 02-Jul-15 21:41:35

Meanwhile, terrorists are entering this country unchallenged due to lax border controls and EU immigration rules.

soontobe Thu 02-Jul-15 22:29:21

I have an awful suspicion that the "authorities" are going to be "wise" after the event on this one.
That people are going to look back and realise that the Government, none of them, were up to the job.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 02-Jul-15 22:33:57

Where would the soldiers actually be placed? At Calais, and in airports? I don't think I like that idea. Would add to panic and hysteria.

harrigran Thu 02-Jul-15 23:21:37

jingl, there are armed soldiers on the gates where Algerian planes come in at Marseille airport. It is actually quite reassuring.

janerowena Fri 03-Jul-15 14:35:46

I would place them in small bays all around our coastline. Maybe patrol the beaches at night. Friends of mine were stopped when they tried to come back at night once, to avoid the heat of the day when they had to be back for work but one of them wasn't feeling well. The boat was very thoroughly searched before they were allowed to continue, but small boats arriving at night carrying illicit cargoes are still not uncommon apparently.

Jane10 Fri 03-Jul-15 15:13:17

Its quite scary at our airports to see the policemen with rifles strolling about. I reckon it would be useful for soldiers to be involved at eg Calais rather than relying on local police or customs officers.

aggie Fri 03-Jul-15 15:46:59

I don't think the French would be impressed with British Soldiers on their territory , certainly not tanks !!

Jane10 Fri 03-Jul-15 16:18:43

They're not very happy with the whole situation which is understandable. The soldiers would be no threat to France just dealing with the illegal immigrants instead of the police. Similarly the navy could patrol the shores as required.

aggie Fri 03-Jul-15 16:20:35

You cannot have a foreign army on your territory , the army can patrol on our territory

Anya Fri 03-Jul-15 16:53:00

The answer is so patently obvious I'm surprised it's not been implemented before.......

To save England from invasion by foreigners of all shapes, sizes and religious persuasions.

1. Seal off/brick up the Channel Tunnel
2. Re commission the Martello Towers and man them with the latest in 21st century weaponry
3. Extend Offa's Dyke and float Wales out into the Irish Sea
4. Rebuild and reinforce Hadrian's Wall to keep the Scots out (or in depending on your point of view)

Have I missed anything? Perhaps I ought to have started a new thread jingl but your instructions were too complicated and, besides, this one was just sitting here going nowhere wine

TGIF!

Jane10 Fri 03-Jul-15 16:57:57

Too much wine anya? aggie of course you can have armies of another country on your land. It happens all the time: Peacekeeping forces have been around for years. No fighting required!

aggie Fri 03-Jul-15 17:19:30

It isn't peacekeeping it is policing , in Calais . I think they need to be invited ? Can't just pitch up and start ordering people about ?

aggie Fri 03-Jul-15 17:21:52

I like your ideas Anya smile

Jane10 Fri 03-Jul-15 18:06:09

I never said they would aggie! Of course it would be in association with local police/army. The French have been asking for help with this ++

Anya Fri 03-Jul-15 18:11:27

Too much sunshine Jane

Ana Fri 03-Jul-15 18:13:38

According to eye-witness reports, the French police seem to have no idea what they're doing...hmm

Galen Fri 03-Jul-15 18:30:33

Can't sail off Wales, my work is allocated to me from Cardiff!

Jane10 Fri 03-Jul-15 19:22:31

anya - if only! Check my 'Its not fair thread*