Gransnet forums

News & politics

Poor John Noakes

(11 Posts)
merlotgran Tue 30-Jun-15 23:33:27

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3144439/Police-searching-missing-Blue-Peter-legend-John-Noakes-81-year-old-s-wife-raised-alarm-failed-return-walk-Spanish-home.html

Hard to believe he's 81.

I didn't know he had Alzheimers.

Marelli Tue 30-Jun-15 23:37:14

He's been found now, thankfully. smile

Nelliemoser Tue 30-Jun-15 23:44:03

How very sad when its someone you remember from Childrens TV. I would not have though of him as being in his 80s either. Which is probably a sign that we are not realising how much older we have become. IYSWIM

Eloethan Tue 30-Jun-15 23:56:50

I just caught the end of it on the news. I didn't realise it was John Noakes they were talking about. How sad.

AshTree Wed 01-Jul-15 05:24:14

I felt so terribly sad when I heard this. Some people are forever young in one's mind and John Noakes was one such person. I used to love the Go with Noakes series with Shep the Border Collie. Can't believe he's now 81 and suffering from Alzheimer's. So sad.

Soutra Wed 01-Jul-15 07:33:11

But I am thinking of all the people I know who have turned 80 and am saying to myself "that's no age!"
I am so glad he has been found safe and well, he still looks so "boyish" (despite the thatch of grey hair ) doesn't he?

Pittcity Wed 01-Jul-15 07:46:08

He was on Pointless Celebrities in 2013 with Peter Purves. It was very hard to watch and he really shouldn't have been there. They laughed it off as buffoonery but it must have been the beginning of the Alzheimer's. So sad, but age comes to us all.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 01-Jul-15 09:29:47

So sad that he has Alzheimers. Ageing itself can sometimes seems like a disease we can't escape. Thank God they found him. I hope he recovers soon.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 01-Jul-15 09:52:18

Ditto. He was my absolute favourite on Blue Peter (apart from Janet Ellis - we love her too)

So glad they fund him before it was too late

rosesarered Wed 01-Jul-15 10:44:38

He must have been older at the time of Blue Peter than I realised.

Brendawymms Wed 01-Jul-15 11:49:12

Quite a few people, living with partners and in a familiar environment manage well with their dementia until something like getting lot walking or driving happens.
All the forms of dementia are terrible illnesses and dreadful for the person but also for the families left behind to watch the person they love eaten up by this illness.