Gransnet forums

News & politics

Memorial for victims of the Tunisia murders

(20 Posts)
Lilygran Sun 05-Jul-15 08:33:55

I've just heard on the news that we are to have two new memorials, one for the British victims of the terrorist attack in Tunisia and one for the British victims of all overseas terrorism paid for out of the fines levied on banks. I'm bewildered by life in the UK in 2015.

thatbags Sun 05-Jul-15 09:06:08

Agreed. It's almost as if they were looking for something to spend that money on, something with a bit of "ah, how nice" feel about it. Because they couldn't think of anything else! Bewildered is a good way to put it.

Nelliemoser Sun 05-Jul-15 09:22:24

So am I with this one. Where do you stop with doing this?
Maybe something just for all victims of terrorism here, like the IRA bombings or all the other ones we have experienced.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 05-Jul-15 09:35:31

I find this odd. The money is coming from a "fines" fund from the banks, but where would that money have been spent without this? On the living perhaps?

Anniebach Sun 05-Jul-15 09:43:44

I am against it, the victims of the bombing will have their memorials erected by their families and loved ones. This money should be spent on the living.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 05-Jul-15 10:01:48

Could it be shallow political posturing? Surely not! hmm

Riverwalk Sun 05-Jul-15 10:09:18

I'm in two minds about this and don't really know what to think.

My first reaction was along the lines of it's mawkish, waste of money, etc but then we have public memorials for victims of terrorism such as Warrington, Hyde Park, Lee Rigby so maybe it's right to acknowledge the political killing of 30 of our citizens.

Thirty is a huge number when you think about it, to be killed in one go.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 05-Jul-15 10:13:52

That's true.

Anniebach Sun 05-Jul-15 10:19:17

But they were individuals with their own hopes and dreams, loves and pleasures , I don't think the higher the number the more tragic , every violent death is a single violent death and if we concentrate on numbers the single is forgotten . Let's remember all who died a violent death at the hands of another

POGS Sun 05-Jul-15 10:19:30

Well it could cost no more than Milibands 'Ed Stone', (£30.000), it depends what it is.

There are memorials for various occasions such as Hillsborough, the 7/7 bombings. Do you object to them, if not why is this proposal different. ?

If it's how it is being funded that is objectional to some then I have a little sympathy and to be honest I too would prefer it was not money taken from the Bankers fines and levies.

However the government did say it was going to be used for charitable/good causes and has as far as I am aware kept it's word.

There are two questions I suppose. Do you agree with the principle in the first place, do you agree it should be money spent by the government. I agree with the first not sure about the second.

I do know that the government will never win , they would be damned if they do, damned if they don't .

Anniebach Sun 05-Jul-15 10:27:33

So difficult, I refused to have my husbands name included in - officers killed on duty , every year I refuse the invite to the memorial service .

No idea what a general election stunt has to do with memorials sorry POGS, the country didn't psy for it

Anya Sun 05-Jul-15 10:31:50

That's sad Annie

Anniebach Sun 05-Jul-15 10:54:21

Anya , he has a gravestone, two cups in his name are awarded every year in our local scouts and cubs for the two boys who have gone that extra mile to either show bravery in the face of adversity which they experience or support they give to another. This is the memorial he would choose not stuffed shirts and top brass singing hymns once a year , he died fighting drugs dealing which was spreading through the young in our area - and he had turned agnostic during his time in the force !

Luckygirl Sun 05-Jul-15 11:48:30

Anniebach - he really does sound like someone who it would be hard to forget - what wonderful choices for his "memorials."

I think In would prefer to see individual memorials. I am not sure when we stop with these memorials, as tragedies occur every day. Perhaps the families should be consulted as to their wishes in this matter.

Anya Sun 05-Jul-15 12:00:17

I didn't mean it was sad that his name wasn't on any memorial Annie I meant sad that you lost him flowers

Anniebach Sun 05-Jul-15 12:38:39

Oh sorry Anya, yes it was so tragic and so needless but these things are, I survived even though I thought I wouldn't , I think it has made me view tragedies differently to many, every one of those deaths in Tunisia is personal grief and pain to each victims family , selfish I know but I so disliked the whole police ceremonial funeral, funny now but at the grave I wasn't aware of who was around me when suddenly an order was roared out and ranks of officers did the attention and salute tribute , I nearly fell in the grave but my father held me close. All those families will grieve long after we move on and memorial stones are laid , and this is how it should be but the dead are not numbers they are husbands, sons, daughters , wives , grandparents etc of individuals who will have to work through grief, anger, why, even hatred in this tragedy and never receive justice , I hope they are not crippled by a need for a revenge they will never have .enough of me,

Luckygirl, a grandson of one of my husbands colleagues was awarded a cup last year, that did make me gloomy ,

I think if there is to be a memorial I would choose a gift for an orphanage in Tunisia , put love back there

Luckygirl Sun 05-Jul-15 12:53:58

Annie - I love your idea about the orphanage. x

Lilygran Sun 05-Jul-15 12:55:14

What an excellent idea, Anniebach. And I think your kind of memorial for your DH is lovely.

POGS Sun 05-Jul-15 13:02:39

Anniebach.

I wasn't trying to make a political point I was pointing out what the possible cost could be if it was a similar memorial.

I will say I put it in a clumsy way and I understand your point.

Anniebach Sun 05-Jul-15 13:11:27

POGS, I didn't think it was political point, just couldn't see any connection, if the country had paid for that bl***y awful stone I would have hit the roof