Gransnet forums

News & politics

Concern within the Labour Party that Jeremy Corbyn is doing well

(1000 Posts)
Gracesgran Sun 12-Jul-15 09:34:47

A Labour pressure group has asked party members to vote against Jeremy Corbyn in the leadership contest.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33490959

Tristram Hunt was also saying, on Marr this morning, that Labour needs an English Labour party as they now have Welsh Labour and Scottish Labour.

This has left me cogitating about where the Labour Party will go.

Teetime Sun 12-Jul-15 10:34:29

Me too!

whitewave Sun 12-Jul-15 11:11:16

Just as the Tories faced a similar dilemma after Major. The left needs to regroup. Hope they don't take so long to find a leader they can live with as the Tories. Can't remember how many they went through before they landed with the current one.

grannyonce Sun 12-Jul-15 12:20:33

WW - this thread was allegedly about the labour party and Jeremy Corbyn
so why bring in the Conservative party and their decisions - is that relevant?
another thread 'turned' in 3 posts grin

rosesarered Sun 12-Jul-15 12:27:23

If they voted for Corbyn, if would be like turkeys voting for Christmas.They know this of course .

rosesarered Sun 12-Jul-15 12:28:38

Grannyonce, it was only a matter of time, [ grin] but faster than we expected.

rosesarered Sun 12-Jul-15 12:29:12

try the grin again...... grin

Anya Sun 12-Jul-15 12:53:32

Abandon ship!

rosesarered Sun 12-Jul-15 12:58:08

Aye aye, Cap'n, man the lifeboats!

Gracesgran Sun 12-Jul-15 13:28:12

grannyonce that has to be the most pathetic post I have ever seen. It was a perfectly reasonable comparison. What is it with some of you. Are you so insecure in your opinions that you cannot bear a reasoned discussion. As I say - pathetic.

Gracesgran Sun 12-Jul-15 13:37:47

Whitewave I agree, we have seen a lot of navel gazing in the past and it doesn't help. Would it be so awful if Jeremy Corbyn won. Personally I would prefer coalition governments made up from smaller parties who are in a position to say what they really mean rather than the coalition within the larger parties that can often mean the public don't get what they thought they had voted for.

I think an English Labour party makes sense too. It would follow the way the country is moving.

whitewave Sun 12-Jul-15 13:38:54

Sounds a bit like the playground to me. Reasoned arguments are in very short supply which is a shame, as it could all be so much more interesting.

grannyonce Sun 12-Jul-15 13:41:19

WW - you were the one who brought in the Conservative party - so I think your post and that of GG were 'pathetic' - so I decided to send you up with a bit of humour (notice the grin) but then some on GN have had a sense of humour bypass.

rosesarered Sun 12-Jul-15 13:44:43

I thought from the start that Andy Burnham would be the leader of choice, I still think so, but ya never know!He of the fabulous eyelashes.

Gracesgran Sun 12-Jul-15 13:55:01

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Gracesgran Sun 12-Jul-15 13:57:28

I think they are saying the AB is still in the lead - although I am not sure how they calculate that - and that Jeremy Corbyn is in second place rosesarered

grannyonce Sun 12-Jul-15 13:58:19

GG - have reported your post.
the OP was about the labour party shock
that is me done with gransnet.

whitewave Sun 12-Jul-15 14:00:13

To get back to the original post however!

At the moment I am unconvinced by any of the prospective leaders, but this may be more with the debate within the Labour party at the moment. I am not particularly convinced with it at the moment.

Teetime Sun 12-Jul-15 14:11:18

I'll nail my colours to the mast and say I will be voting for Andy Burnham I believe he is the only one of the candidates who will rise to the challenge.

whitewave Sun 12-Jul-15 14:18:22

We have a couple of months to make up our minds though. Can't make the local hustings which is a pain. Of course will have to vote for someone and like you t I am leaning towards AB. But honestly none of them put fire in my belly!

whitewave Sun 12-Jul-15 14:21:47

That's why I worry that we will be in the T ories position of trying to find a good candidate over a period of a few years, and meanwhile the Tories have free reign.

Anya Sun 12-Jul-15 14:33:02

For sure Liz Kendall will not get my vote.

janeainsworth Sun 12-Jul-15 15:07:20

whitewave I am only an onlooker, but I am wondering if the Labour Party ever really considered either Gordon Brown or Ed Miliband as real leaders or mere stop-gaps until someone appeared who could put fire into bellies?
And is it possible or not that leaders can be elected and 'grow into' the role?
I think it's perhaps unfortunate that the media have such power nowadays that more emphasis is placed on style than substance and some people with potential are destroyed before they've had a 'fair go'.

whitewave Sun 12-Jul-15 15:23:23

Yes jne that's why I am unhappy about the choices. I am not convinced that the Labour party has had the debate about the way forward and will by choosing a leader before the debate is settled be putting the cart before the horse

durhamjen Sun 12-Jul-15 17:30:49

I know someone who is voting for Corbyn, because he is the only one who is against austerity. The reason the Labour party are telling people not to vote for him is because all the main unions are backing him.

I actually think it's appalling that a labour pressure group is doing this. What is it saying to party members?

I heard that Harman is saying that the party will not oppose Osborne's welfare cuts. What is the point of having a labour party that does not stand up for those in poverty and being made poorer?

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion