Gransnet forums

News & politics

Teenager discovers that sometimes it's best to listen to a teacher

(9 Posts)
vampirequeen Fri 17-Jul-15 19:12:58

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3164998/Teenagers-school-trip-Barcelona-suffer-agonising-sunburn-ignoring-teachers-advice.html

The mother is blaming the teachers but if they kept telling him to put cream on and he ignored them I don't see what else they could do.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 17-Jul-15 19:27:21

Why do schools always seem to choose Barcelona, in July? Mind you, my GS has just come back from a very successful trip there, but you wouldn't catch him going without his suncream.

Why did the mother only give him factor 15?!

How fat is that kid in the picture? shock

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 17-Jul-15 19:28:34

Why did they go to a Water Park? How was that educational? hmm

Anya Fri 17-Jul-15 19:31:49

I wish he'd put his shirt back on .

vampirequeen Fri 17-Jul-15 19:43:07

I think they may have a treat day on longer trips. When DD2 went to Germany with her school they had a half day at a water park. She was/is very accident prone and came home from that trip on crutches. Apparently she thought she could dive from the top board but when she got up she realised how high it was and changed her mind. She tripped on the way down and fell quite a distance. Oddly it never occurred to me to blame the teachers for letting her go up in the first place.

As it was rather than visiting the Feuerwehr she visited the Krankenhaus instead and learned a lot of new vocabulary regarding injuries grin

thatbags Fri 17-Jul-15 19:59:44

How does a kid get to the age of fifteen and not understand the danger of sunburn when it's drummed into their heads at school, even if not at home, from reception classes (probably even at nursery school too)? I'm sorry the boy has suffered such bad sunburn but I rather suspect he was simply stubborn in the way of many fifteen year olds and, sadly, had to learn the hard way.

Luckygirl Fri 17-Jul-15 20:10:51

I think it is called learning the hard way.

But the teachers could have denied them access to the treat if they refused to put suncream on.

thatbags Fri 17-Jul-15 20:14:37

I doubt if teachers could do that. It might mean separating the stubborn ones from the rest, which would create supervision (ratio of adults to kids) problems.

Luckygirl Fri 17-Jul-15 20:22:30

Yes - I can see that bags.