Gransnet forums

News & politics

Royals and NAZI salutes

(65 Posts)
vampirequeen Sat 18-Jul-15 08:28:16

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU55Bxr7T6E

Hitler has just gained power in Germany. No one really guessed what was about to happen.

A lot of people in the Britain sympathised with the NAZI ideals and admired the way they organised government. Black shirts led by Oswald Mosley held regular meetings and marches.

Edward VIII supported the NAZI party before and during the war according to --conspiracy theories--evidence. There is even some evidence that the betrayed the French (and therefore the British) by giving the Germans details of the French defences. Not long after the fall of France he was shipped out to the Bahamas where he could do no more damage.

The anti-Semitic aspect of NAZI policy was ignored because at that time Antisemitism was accepted in Britain as well. Read novels and short stories from that time and you'll cringe at the open antisemitism and xenophobia.

The video is a historical document showing how admiration for NAZI ideals permeated all the way to the highest echelons of society. It doesn't mean the Queen is a NAZI. However it is a testament to how the Royal Family felt at that time.

OMG am I defending the Monarchy again blush

whitewave Sat 18-Jul-15 08:31:17

Bloody Murdoch - still being an arse! Everyone knows what Ed ward's and Simpson thought of the Nazis this is hardly news.

vampirequeen Sat 18-Jul-15 08:53:14

It'll sell papers. That's all they care about.

midgey Sat 18-Jul-15 08:54:42

It's just not news......!

Anya Sat 18-Jul-15 09:11:43

It's hardly breaking news is it? And there were plenty of nazi sympathisers among the 'working classes' as well.

something about coming over here and taking our jobs - sound familiar?

Anniebach Sat 18-Jul-15 09:40:28

Shock, horror, a family having a fun time , how dare they , off with their heads, well her head .

Marmight Sat 18-Jul-15 10:06:24

Anything to sell a few more newspapers comics and anything to stir up anti -royal feelings.

nigglynellie Sat 18-Jul-15 10:42:48

I would never have thought that even a newspaper like the Sun would sink this low - Truly the 'gutter' press in every sense of the word!

annodomini Sat 18-Jul-15 10:56:41

A child of 7, with no expectations of becoming heir to the throne, far less Queen; a toddler of 3, both egged on by an uncle who should have known better. All this was 82 years ago, since when much water has flowed under the bridge and the said uncle not much more than a mere side-note in our history. And it is supposed to be 'in the national interest' - now a phrase invariably used to excuse the most disreputable journalism.

whitewave Sat 18-Jul-15 11:05:05

What happened to the recommendations over the phone hacking?

Alea Sat 18-Jul-15 11:05:55

Stupid, crass, dare I say "Typical Sun"?? angry

Anniebach Sat 18-Jul-15 11:08:16

How come the uncle is being criticised but not the mother , she seems to have taken the lead and the uncle showing the child how to do the same as her mother

GillT57 Sat 18-Jul-15 11:36:11

This may backfire and cost The Sun some of their loyal readership. Personally, I just dont understand what or why they were thinking this was news, and I do wish that the BBC News would stop getting in a fizz about it and thus promote this non story.

Pittcity Sat 18-Jul-15 11:41:52

This spoof tweet says what I feel!

nigglynellie Sat 18-Jul-15 11:47:35

How on earth does anyone know who took the lead? and frankly after all this time, who cares? I think we all have more pressing concerns!!! This photo is decades old and why it, or the one showing the English Football team performing a Nazi salute in 1938 should be of any interest, relevance, or even more bizarrely in the public interest eighty three years later is quite beyond me and totally ridiculous.

Anniebach Sat 18-Jul-15 12:10:06

I confess , after the war when we knew of the horrors which had taken place, my sisters and I use to stand in a row - four of us - and give that salute after a lecture on the state of our bedrooms given us by our mother, it was a joke ,one sister was three years old when she joined us three older one's , this was the fifties.

durhamjen Sat 18-Jul-15 12:17:40

I have overheard kids calling me Hitler a few times when I was a teacher. Never caught them doing the salute, though.
I used to tell them I had the same birthday as Hitler, and some of them even used the library to find out.

HildaW Sat 18-Jul-15 12:26:37

The idiot from the Sun defended the publication of this picture (and where on earth did they get it from?) by stating unironically that it was of 'historical importance'....I was screaming at the TV.....just ask him 'on what grounds?'. Its a private picture.....from another lifetime ago....you need to very carefully justify such a statement before you use it. Any historian would have torn his to shreds on simply academic grounds that the argument does not stand up!

Any road up.....before I waste any time and effort on this idiotic so called newspaper....we should have a thread....'Daft things I did aged 6'....and (irony symbol required here) what is really means about me!!!!

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 18-Jul-15 12:29:15

I think it's weird. I don't like it at all. It could show the Queen Mother up as a shallow and silly individual. Perhaps that is really what all the Windsors are.

Apparently it makes a difference whether the video was shot in '33 or '34. By '34 people had a good idea what the Nazis were about. (so I heard on Today)

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 18-Jul-15 12:30:41

Of course, you can't blame the 6/7 year old Queen.

Elegran Sat 18-Jul-15 12:47:01

It looked to me as though they were fooling around, taking the mick, for a private film, not giving a serious Nazi salute. Perhaps the QM was joking with whoever was filming (her husband?) about her brother-in-law's interest in the party? They were all walking in a row, which could have triggered someone to say "You look like Germans"? She was always said to have a sharp sense of humour.

Trust the Sun to dig it up and use it to sell papers.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 18-Jul-15 12:53:42

OMG! And then Harry goes and dresses up as a Nazi for that party! grin There's no hope for them! grin

Elrel Sat 18-Jul-15 13:02:52

As jbf says, HM was SIX. The Sun is a disgusting rag.
Maybe the country was lucky that dodgy Uncle David found Wallis Simpson more important than ruling us.

merlotgran Sat 18-Jul-15 13:25:23

Just shows how lucky we were having George VI for a king and not his childish eldest brother.

Anniebach Sat 18-Jul-15 13:55:52

History will show Edward in a different light