Gransnet forums

News & politics

Donating or keeping the 10% pay rise

(13 Posts)
thatbags Sat 18-Jul-15 10:49:03

There's a Twitter campaign running at the moment, started by @fleetstreetfox I believe. People ask their MP via tweet whether s/he intends to keep the income that is their new pay increase or donate it to charity.

Is it just me who thinks it's a rude question? I thought that how one disposes of one's salary was private, even from one's employer. Is it anyone's employer's business (I'm calling tax-payers the employer of MPs) how one spends one's money?

kittylester Sat 18-Jul-15 13:16:00

I agree with you bags. It's not out business at all. I think our MPs are only now being paid a decent wage for the job. I do question the timing of this pay rise though.

It irks me that there are different rules and MPs get the amount recommended when some public sector workers have had their 1% referred to a committee. Especially as, in DH's case, his compulsory costs have gone up by ridiculous amounts.

durhamjen Sat 18-Jul-15 13:36:40

It would be better all round if they just refused it. They can do that if they want to.

Teetime Sun 19-Jul-15 10:06:36

I think its naïve to expect MPs to donate their salary increase to charity. Like the rest of us they are entitled to dispose of their earned income as they please and besides which I disapprove of publically declaring what you give to charity- it should, be 'do good and disappear' in my view.

It is bad timing though in relation to other public sector pay and let us not pretend that MPs don't have other income streams from directorships, chairs of various quangoes and boards as well as generous expenses allowances and freebies wherever they go on 'business trips' trade delegations, after dinner speaking etc etc.

thatbags Sun 19-Jul-15 10:44:27

I agree about the bad timing aspect and I agree with the keeping one's good deeds to oneself ("Do good by stealth and blush to find it fame", Alexander Pope).

I would qualify the statement that MPs have other sources of income by saying this is true of some MPs. I very much doubt if it is all by a long way.

I don't object to MPs having another job either. After all, their job as an MP may only last for five years. Most of them will need something else to fall back on if and when they lose their parliamentary seat.

nightowl Sun 19-Jul-15 11:02:34

As a public sector worker for my entire career this pay rise makes me sick.

In addition, as a public sector worker, I have had to declare any additional work I have done to my employer, who had the right to veto anything they felt might represent a conflict of interests. Not that I ever had much energy for additional employment except when I worked part time and then only for a very little self-employed work. I'm not sure how MP's who are doing their jobs properly have any time or energy for additional work either.

Are MP's subject to the same restrictions? I haven't seen any evidence of it. And who are their employers who could veto such additional work? I would argue it is their constituents. Maybe we should be aware of exactly what our MPs are doing and be able to vote on whether we feel it is acceptable before we agree to their 10% pay rise.

whenim64 Sun 19-Jul-15 11:14:59

I agree with you, nightowl. How are they rationalising a 1% pay rise for public sector workers and 10% for MPs?

Luckygirl Sun 19-Jul-15 12:35:03

The "they" in question is supposedly an impartial body, not the MPs themselves. And some MPs have come out against it - good for them.

Those who wish to donate theirs to a charity might consider supporting something local to their constituency.

Granny23 Wed 22-Jul-15 23:03:33

By mutual agreement, all 56 SNP MPs will donate their extra 10% to a charity of their choice. That will be around £400,000 going to various, hopefully local, charities. Of course they have been accused hat this is merely a publicity stunt, but at least THEY have put their money where their mouth is.

thatbags Thu 23-Jul-15 07:31:03

Will they do this every year, I wonder? That's what really not accepting a rise would mean.

FarNorth Thu 23-Jul-15 08:49:39

I don't see it as a publicity stunt, just a statement of fact to keep their constituents informed.

I think it is reasonable for us, the voters, to want to know what our MPs will do with this increase.
We are not in the usual position of an employer as we are paying the increase while having no say in whether we can afford it.

grumppa Thu 23-Jul-15 09:08:38

That goes for all public sector employees.

rosesarered Thu 23-Jul-15 16:45:01

It isn't anyone's business to ask different MP's this question.
The SNP have decided it will look good for them to do this, and yes, will they do this all the time, or is it a one off?
On another thread there is the peev that only well off people go into politics, not quite true of course, but if MP's were well paid, then more state educated people may well go into politics rather than seek the mega money of big business corporations.the timing of the rise is off, when other public sector workers can't have realistic rises, I think the best way forward would be that the rise would be paid in another two years, not at the moment.The body who decide MP pay say it needs to be brought up to date by 10% and I think this is true, but if it was postponed slightly, the mood of the country may be different, after all, we have just had an election.