Gransnet forums

News & politics

They'll be regretting signing up to this.

(13 Posts)
Elegran Wed 19-Aug-15 09:15:47

Customer data stolen from Ashley Madison, a dating website for married people who wish to cheat on their spouse, has reportedly been leaked and published on the so called dark web, meaning it is accessible only via encrypted browsers.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-33984017

Ashley Madison promotes its service with the tagline, "Life is short, have an affair." So will their marriages be, if their contact details were on this dating site.

rosesarered Wed 19-Aug-15 09:17:46

Depends how computer savvy the spouses are.

Luckygirl Wed 19-Aug-15 09:21:03

It will be interesting to see who is on it!

Elegran Wed 19-Aug-15 09:35:56

It's a blackmailer's dream come true.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 19-Aug-15 09:57:39

If you don't know how to get into it, there will be plenty of tech savvy people willing to do it for you for a fiver.

Serves 'em right.

durhamjen Wed 19-Aug-15 11:07:06

Heard about this months ago. I thought it had been taken down.

janerowena Wed 19-Aug-15 19:55:09

I thought it was very funny. Serves them right.

soontobe Wed 19-Aug-15 19:57:51

1.2 million UK registered users apparently.
That is a lot.

absent Wed 19-Aug-15 21:37:41

Apparently there are quite a few New Zealand e-mail addresses on the list – some of them end .gov.nz. Stupid or what?

Eloethan Thu 20-Aug-15 01:21:58

Well, it's a very tacky site and I really don't understand why anyone would register on it. If a marriage is of so little value and deserving of so little respect I would have thought it would be better to end it.

But whatever one thinks about the wisdom or ethics of the people who used this site, they did nothing illegal and such an invasion of privacy should not, in my opinion, be seen as deserved or treated with derision.

absent Thu 20-Aug-15 07:59:58

Eloethan I agree about internet privacy (although it is rather less than most of us tend to think).

However, I am at a loss as to why anyone would sign up to an adultery site. I can understand, although not necessarily condone, conducting an affair with someone you work with, share a health club with, meet socially, etc. and have allowed your feelings/passion to run away with you. To sit at a computer or on your phone and deliberately, coldly decide you want to have an affair and seek out a partner seems to me taking virtual reality and the internet one step too far.

Luckygirl Thu 20-Aug-15 09:22:43

There are some .gov.uk addresses there too - why would you add yourself to this site from such an address?! - better to use a new one. Nuts!

absent Thu 20-Aug-15 09:44:14

The dark web is more than something just encrypted. That's easy (encryption) however you use the net – the dark web does not go through an ISP. I doubt that this site is dark web which requires quite a bit of understanding of how computers work (the place where the super nerds who hack etc. go and talk to each other) – not just a casual desire for a "secret" site where you find someone new to fuck because your spouse bores you.

I am so fed up with people living in a "virtual" world. They don't; there is no virtual world – it's let's pretend and in your head! I'll be superman and you can be… Sod your wife – a real woman! Sod your husband – a real man! Sod your kids – real children! Let's play kissy, kissy on the internet or, perhaps in a motel down the road. It's either non-existent or it's real, affects real people and affects husbands, wives and children. Take responsibility for your own actions and stop playing games and finding excuses for yourself.