Gransnet forums

News & politics

Cilla's funeral

(9 Posts)
LyndaW Fri 21-Aug-15 10:32:39

What a send-off... I particularly loved Paul O'Grady's speech - it's so important to have a good dose of humour. Thats how a funeral should be - a happy celebration of the life that was.

annsixty Fri 21-Aug-15 10:43:30

While it is sad for her family that she has died I do not think that devoting the whole 30 mins of North West news at 6:30 yesterday evening to the event was a good use of time and money especially as it had been on every regional and national news throughout the day.
Yours respectfully,
Grumpy old woman.

Anniebach Fri 21-Aug-15 11:30:55

Tv did over do it . Since when did she become a global star and as for the major stars attending , they must have gone to the wrong church . I am not criticising the service , just the nausesting commentaries

MiniMouse Fri 21-Aug-15 11:38:23

I must be a GOW too. I just don't understand all the media coverage when there have been other more 'worthy' souls who have departed this year, but who barely got a mention. (IMHO)

Luckygirl Fri 21-Aug-15 12:40:52

I think that it was OK to cover it as they did. For Liverpudlians she was their own girl made good; and for many (including me) she sang for a whole generation and was the background to our childhoods/teenagerhoods.

She may not have been worthy, but she was a motif that flowed through many peoples' lives.

Greyduster Fri 21-Aug-15 13:02:19

Nicely put, Luckygirl.

TheMillersTale Fri 21-Aug-15 13:08:35

Nicely put but still not worthy of such a lengthy news (and live) coverage. Utterly ridiculous level of coverage.

I don't necessarily see all funerals as 'happy celebrations' either although I can see that for some, this is immensely fortifying.

Funerals are individual. They are what they are and there is no ideal. Sometimes stark grief rules out any desire to have happy celebrations of lives, especially when those lives are truncated.

Eloethan Fri 21-Aug-15 13:22:13

I think there was public interest and it was reasonable to give some coverage but, like some here, I think there was too much time spent on it. I don't suppose everybody in the North West wished their whole news programme to be devoted to Cilla's funeral.

mrsmopp Sat 22-Aug-15 09:43:52

Wait till Ken Dodd goes- Liverpool will give him the best send-off ever.
He is loved because, unlike Cilla and the Beatles, Ken never left Liverpool. He remains loyal to his roots. Liverpudlians like that.