Gransnet forums

News & politics

Weather man

(27 Posts)
whitewave Mon 24-Aug-15 07:56:51

Why on earth is the BBC getting rid of our weather man? Surely their heads can be knocked together? Come back Carol!!!!

ninathenana Mon 24-Aug-15 08:08:50

confused is Carol a weather man ?

vampirequeen Mon 24-Aug-15 09:04:42

It's appalling. Money is behind it. The Met Office tender was higher than those from a Dutch company and a New Zealand company so they've lost out. I'm sure the other companies are highly proficient but I would rather trust the Met Office and keep the jobs in the UK.

kittylester Mon 24-Aug-15 10:04:04

I agree with all of you but do we know which weather presenters are employed by the Met office and which by the Beeb? Maybe some of the presenters will stay even if they are giving some other body's forecast.

rosequartz Mon 24-Aug-15 10:24:43

Perhaps because the forecasters at Met Office are not as accurate as they would like to think they are?

Greyduster Mon 24-Aug-15 10:26:00

Hope they'll keep Look North's Paul Hudson - his forecasts are usually very good.

Anniebach Mon 24-Aug-15 10:28:00

If the Dutch and New Zealand companies are equal to our met office why will the beeb still depend on the met office for severe weather warnings

Gagagran Mon 24-Aug-15 10:51:39

We always laugh when it's Tomasz Schafernaker doing the forecast as he's
soooooooooooooo laid back! It's as if he called in on his way home from a party just to read a bit of the weather forecast.

jollyg Mon 24-Aug-15 10:52:46

Met office supplies the info to the newcomers. Logical DOH.

I despair sometimes of what goes on here, but then we dont know what goes on elsewhere

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 24-Aug-15 11:08:04

It's got nothing to do with accuracy. Efficiency could be better at the Met Office. Then they could have won the contract. Too many died-in-the-wool fogey managers. They have brought it on themselves.

Alea Mon 24-Aug-15 11:16:10

Let's just hope if it's a European company we get some better weather.

gringrin

soontobe Mon 24-Aug-15 11:26:13

The weather forecasts here locally have been really quite inaccurate this year.

DH and I looked into paying a site for them[wont go into why], but the cost was quite prohibitive, so decided not to.

The met Office though, overall, is still supposed to be the most accurate in the world.
But I for one, am quite happy that another firm is going to get the contract.

Pittcity Mon 24-Aug-15 12:59:55

Carol Kirkwood is employed by the BBC and the others are expected to be employed by the new weather provider, so your favourites should still be on screen.

rosequartz Mon 24-Aug-15 14:37:21

My favourite weather presenter went to Al Jazeera.
He obviously got fed up with the rainy West Country.

vampirequeen Mon 24-Aug-15 18:52:02

How do you know about the efficiency of the Met Office, Jings?

A genuine question btw.

rosequartz Mon 24-Aug-15 20:05:00

The forecast was for 'showers' today.
It has been one long shower from first thing until about 10 minutes ago.

It will be interesting to know if the new lot will be any better.

Judthepud2 Mon 24-Aug-15 22:21:32

I just love the idea of the weather forecast being done by a New Zealand provider grin Do you think they will mix up the seasons? Totally surreal. I had to check that it wasn't April 1st.

Anniebach Tue 25-Aug-15 09:48:36

I am going to demonstrate at the beeb, just realised Derek the weatherman is employed by the met office , any welsh posters here ? Please join me, we must keep Derek

rosequartz Tue 25-Aug-15 10:26:46

We like Derek, however our default channel is west. We could have a sit-in to save Derek!
They may not get rid of the tv forecasters (imagine if they all had NZ or Dutch accents ...)

annodomini Tue 25-Aug-15 10:49:54

In the NW, we have a forecaster with the appropriate name of Sara Blizzard. I do hope she will still be around.

KatyK Tue 25-Aug-15 11:01:58

We sometimes have Sara Blizzard doing the weather in the West Mids too anno. I have always been fascinated by people whose names reflect their jobs.

grannyactivist Tue 25-Aug-15 11:02:25

One of my sons was considering the Met Office as his next employer - guess he'll stay put after all.

Anniebach Tue 25-Aug-15 11:02:32

rosequartz , Derek is a darling, have met him several times walking the Beacons, just as cheery on a wet day on Penyfan as when on telly . We cannot lose Derek . Get shot of the PoW even, but leave Derek with us

kittylester Tue 25-Aug-15 11:23:44

Sarah Blizzard gets about - we have her in the East Mids too! grin

KatyK Tue 25-Aug-15 14:57:29

I have a soft spot for Tomasz Schafernaker (pardon my spelling). He was caught giving a naughty sign in a playful way to one of the news readers when he thought he was off air. The look on his face when realisation hit him was priceless.