Gransnet forums

News & politics

White Poppy

(260 Posts)
FarNorth Wed 16-Sep-15 10:11:12

Here is an extract from an article on reasons for wearing a white poppy :

"Many of us instead wear a white poppy, the symbol of peace. We do so not because we feel the suffering of those who died or were bereaved any less, everyone agrees that we should commemorate the sacrifice.

But we fear that in remembering the First World War, too many people in government and the military are using the compassion that people feel to justify present and future wars."

stopwar.org.uk/news/why-i-will-wear-a-white-poppy-to-honour-the-dead-on-remembrance-day

Anniebach Wed 16-Sep-15 10:13:34

So true

M0nica Wed 16-Sep-15 16:15:01

I must confess that I cannot see the logic of the last sentence. I cannot see how our sadness at the loss of so many (including 4 members of my family) could possibly be used to justify past or future wars, simply because know one would accept it and would condemn anyone who tried to do it.

I wear my (Red) poppy in sad remembrance of my grandfather, two great uncles and cousin, two of who died on Flanders fields in 1915 where the poppies reminded people of the blood they had shed.

shysal Wed 16-Sep-15 16:27:35

I wear a white poppy, but still contribute to the British Legion collection by buying wrist bands each year.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 16-Sep-15 16:32:57

I wear a red poppy because I think it is a beautiful story - how the poppies still bloomed on Flanders' field after all the deaths and the suffering. A symbol of hope. I would hate the country to lose that.

Ana Wed 16-Sep-15 16:34:14

I've received a wooden cross with a poppy stuck on it from the British Legion today, asking me to send a donation.

This is like the caards and place mats you get from other charities, but a bit more tasteless, I feel!

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 16-Sep-15 16:38:33

Hmm. Yes. Think I agree with you. hmm

Luckygirl Wed 16-Sep-15 16:43:07

I wear both - they both have something to say.

grannyactivist Wed 16-Sep-15 16:59:56

This was discussed previously on gransnet, here and I still wear my white poppy on the International Day of Peace, which is on 21st September.
I also buy a wooden cross and a wreath every year from the RBL and wear my red poppy in remembrance.
Ana, I also received an unsolicited wooden cross from the RBL and wish they hadn't sent it, even though, as I've said, I buy one every year.

rosesarered Wed 16-Sep-15 21:40:09

I think what grannyactivist does is the most sensible, wearing a white poppy On Day Of Peace, and red poppy for Nov 11th.

rosesarered Wed 16-Sep-15 21:40:55

the red poppies at the Tower of London last year were amazing.

Iam64 Thu 17-Sep-15 08:49:56

I understand why some people choose to wear a white poppy, in fact some friends do so. I wear a red poppy and don't see myself as a war monger, war supporter in any way. My grandfather's survived WW1 though as with all families, some relatives didn't. My father was a Royal Marine and survived WW2. The three of them always wore red poppies, and we all stood around the radio or tv to honour the silence in Remembrance Sunday. I wear my poppy in memory of those who haven't survived wars and in memory of my lovely grandfathers and my father. I'd feel I was letting them down to be honest, if I wore a white one along side my red poppy. I don't criticise others who take a different view. Yes rosesarered, those poppies at the tower were wonderful, very moving.

Anniebach Thu 17-Sep-15 10:00:16

I wear red and white, for me they mean - I honour your memory, I thank you for giving up your life to bring peace and I share your hopes of peace

Luckygirl Thu 17-Sep-15 10:15:05

At the risk of getting jumped on, I have to say that I always find remembrance day very difficult. The sadness at the appalling events of the two WWs and other wars and those who died should be remembered, but there are some events associated with it that tip over the edge a bit towards jingoism and I hate to see fly and marchpasts of weapons - there is such a fine line to be drawn here. I cannot fully identify why it all gives me the creeps; it is a gut instinct.

I suppose for me the white poppy says let us remember those poor souls who were slaughtered in war, but let us also remember that we have our part to play in trying to make sure it does not happen again.

nigglynellie Thu 17-Sep-15 10:22:21

I too can understand wearing a white poppy for peace on 21st September. But on remembrance day, for me, the only appropriate poppy is a red one. I wear this with pride, remembering my grandfather who fought from 1915-18, dying at the early age of 56, due to the gas attacks and shell shock he suffered during his time in the Infantry. Also for my second cousin who died of wounds in North Africa, but most of all for my father who was killed 5 weeks before I was born. Like others I was sent a wooden cross with a poppy attached which I put on my father's grave, where he lies buried with his companions in the Netherlands, when I visited it last October .

trisher Thu 17-Sep-15 12:20:24

I respect the red poppy and its association and meaning, but I would like to see more of the white poppy. it has an equally long history but is seldom promoted or seen for sale. I think it would be a much more meaningful service on Remembrance Day if a white poppy wreath was placed amongst the red ones. If only because many of the men, women and children who died in our wars and continue to die in other wars would, if they could, speak out for peace.

Anniebach Thu 17-Sep-15 12:28:36

Why should a symbol of peace not be with a symbol of remembrance , those we honour with the red poppy died for peace

ChrissyPurple Thu 17-Sep-15 14:01:55

I always wear a red poppy and a white poppy together. I find it prompts people to ask me why I do it, and I'm always happy to explain: for me the red poppy is a symbol of respect for those who died and for those who mourn them; while the white poppy is a reminder that we need to continue working actively for peace in our time.

rosesarered Thu 17-Sep-15 15:33:35

I think it is something to do with pacifists often only wearing a white poppy , trisher, and the red poppy is the symbol used for remembrance of all the servicemen and women, who fought and died in the wars.Therefore, placing white poppies at the cenotaph would not be right.

thatbags Thu 17-Sep-15 16:16:59

One can remember those killed and regret the necessity for war (or the actuality of war if one doesn't think it was necessary) without wearing any poppy.

Which newsreader was it who refused to be bullied into wearing a red poppy before Remembrance Day?

FarNorth Thu 17-Sep-15 16:18:49

And likewise one can join the gang wearing a red poppy and have no sensible thought in one's head at all.

Marmight Thu 17-Sep-15 16:39:43

Jon Snow Bags

trisher Thu 17-Sep-15 16:40:30

But a lot of those servicemen rosesarered especially in WW1 did not believe in the war and wanted peace. I think they would be horrified to see and hear the jingoistic atmosphere. A wreath of white poppies would be a reminder of their beliefs.

GrandmaH Thu 17-Sep-15 17:44:37

Am I right in thinking there is also a poppy for the animals that died?
I seem to remember reading that somewhere but I've never seen one.

rosesarered Thu 17-Sep-15 17:47:33

Yes, trisher, you could well be right, but that is how the establishment see it
( on a personal level I have no worries about colour of poppies.)