Gransnet forums

News & politics

I despair of (us) women sometimes

(22 Posts)
Alea Sat 19-Sep-15 08:51:44

Is this News? Religion? Or downright stupidity?
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2442277/Rev-Howard-Curtis-arrested-claims-spanked-Croydon-worshippers.html
He "persuaded women to strip so that he could spank their bare bottoms to drive out the Devil"? confused

What do some people have between their ears?
If it weren't for the appalling child abuse as well, I would have laughed the pathetic git out of court. As it is, I hope he gets what he deserves. angry

Elegran Sat 19-Sep-15 09:45:45

This is where the concept of "obedience to God's will" shades into "obedience to the will of a man who says that he is doing God's will".

He would probably claim that God is like a father who sometimes has to chastise his children, and he was carrying out God's wishes by beating out the devil in these women!

Luckygirl Sat 19-Sep-15 09:51:24

"Christian Domestic Discipline" - that about sums it up: the inherent danger of religion being used to further the aims and desires of dominant males (in particular), the excuse being it is God's will.

The powerful will always use god as a reason to do what they want and to prop up their power.

As one poem says: "..invoking god, that hackneyed devious ploy."

Alea Sat 19-Sep-15 11:15:46

I have to say Christian Domestic Discipline would have had me running screaming for the hills! grin

(Where is soontobe when you need her?)

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 19-Sep-15 12:29:22

grin. Daft women for falling for it!

Anya Sat 19-Sep-15 12:52:39

Is this for real? hmm

thatbags Sat 19-Sep-15 12:54:38

alea grin, especially your second comment.

Alea Sat 19-Sep-15 14:13:24

Sadly (for women's intelligence) entirely real. Clearly a charismatic leader (hmm) as hardly an irresistible specimen of handsome manliness.
You couldn't make it up!!

rosesarered Sat 19-Sep-15 17:13:53

This is far from the first time this sort of thing has happened, in the U.S it happens a lot, similar to what goes on in cults by the leader.

Alea Sat 19-Sep-15 17:18:28

This is Coulsdon shock
The website of Christian Domestic Discipline says the practice is 'intended to be a haven for married couples who practise safe and consensual' discipline.

Sounds like S&M to me shock

soontobe Sat 19-Sep-15 18:35:46

Absolutely ridiculous.
Of course that is not in the bible.

The link doesnt work for me, but I get the drift.

Alea Sat 19-Sep-15 18:44:05

The link should work, but look in your Daily Mail Online be. It is about Christian fundamentalism. You say man's supremacy over women is not on the Bible, but it is, from Genesis to St Paul.
Men are seen as the "head" of the family and down the centuries they have been permitted by law (which originates in the Church) to " chastise" their wives whenever they deem it necessary.

Alea Sat 19-Sep-15 18:49:45

This is the Church/sect in question:
"Worshippers at Coulsdon Christian Fellowship, which describes itself as an 'independent charismatic Baptist church' in Chipstead Valley Road, also declined to discuss the practice on Monday.
They said Mr Curtis was no longer involved with the church but would not comment further.
Rev Dominic Warner, a minister at the church, did not respond to requests for a comment.
Mr Curtis is also chairman of Coulsdon Chess Fellowship and listed as a trustee of the 1st Coulsdon Scout Group, both of which meet at the church.
The website of Christian Domestic Discipline says the practice is 'intended to be a haven for married couples who practise safe and consensual' discipline.
It espouses that women are the 'heart' of the home, while men are the 'head'.
The website states that 'most CDD marriages use spanking', for offences including disobedience, disrespect, dishonesty or dangerous choices "(my bold)

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2442277/Rev-Howard-Curtis-arrested-claims-spanked-Croydon-worshippers.html#ixzz3mCwhpibA
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Ana Sat 19-Sep-15 18:51:34

'Dangerous choices'! shock

The mind boggles...

soontobe Sat 19-Sep-15 18:53:54

Oh yes, man's supremacy is in the bible all over the place.

But that has nothing at all to do with a reverend doing what he did.

annsixty Sat 19-Sep-15 19:00:18

It is absolutely wrong in our society that a husband can " chastise " his wife but the minister ??

Alea Sat 19-Sep-15 19:39:46

Well it depends on how you interpret "supremacy", "discipline," and "dangerous choices" hmm
It's not just the minister (I refuse to dignify him with the epithet "reverend") it's normal practice within that "church" to endorse, even encourage corporal punishment of women by their husbands.
And we think Arab countries are primitive ???? confused

Alea Sat 19-Sep-15 21:30:36

Bottom line, soontobe and others, would you let your daughter marry into this church??

soontobe Sat 19-Sep-15 21:35:34

Absolutely not.
I would hope they would go nowhere near it.

Luckygirl Sat 19-Sep-15 21:39:51

Surely your husband would decide what your DD should do? grin

Alea Sat 19-Sep-15 22:33:44

gringrin

M0nica Sun 20-Sep-15 15:36:23

Lets face it this is a minority cult whose members can at best be counted in hundreds, nationally. There are always groups growing up claiming some kind of religious affiliation, or none at all, that hold their members in thrall and do far worse things than spank adult women.

The real question is surely, what it is in these cults that attracts people to them and what are the personality traits of the women who are attracted to these kinds of coercive prescriptive groups, most of whom abuse women one way or another.

These women must be similar to those who go on dating sites, contact, supposedly, hunky US marines and the like, and then start paying them their life savings for all kinds of spurious reasons that would ring alarm bells in 98% of women.