Pig delivery to Downing St

(94 Posts)
thatbags Tue 22-Sep-15 14:28:28

Chortle.

Lona Tue 22-Sep-15 14:52:49

Poor pig! Dumped! grin

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 22-Sep-15 15:05:02

That was cruel to that pig! angry

Animals get enough stress from our food industry process without idiots like that causing them unnecessary stress!

merlotgran Tue 22-Sep-15 15:27:47

They'd have looked really stupid if the pig had escaped.

Cruel and not funny.

durhamjen Tue 22-Sep-15 15:29:06

At least it wasn't a rhino.

NfkDumpling Tue 22-Sep-15 16:05:28

That is one frightened little piggy.

I find the whole thing rather pathetic and vindictive.

So DC did silly stuff (allegedly) when he was a student. So what. More important is what he learnt from it and what he does now. And this applies across the board.

Luckygirl Tue 22-Sep-15 16:19:38

It is a pathetic gesture and not very thoughtful of the pig - but then a lot of the actions of students are pathetic - I am sure most of us have things that we would prefer to be forgotten.

If the details of his student behaviour are correct it is a bit sad - the upper class culture of Oxford at the time is to be deprecated. I read John Carey's book The Unexpected Professor, and the goings-on at Oxford, the time-wasting one-upmanship, the jealousies and rituals make you sick. That sort of self-satisfied self-referential nonsense sticks in my throat. Carey took steps to bring the whole system a bit more into the twentieth century.

The concern of course is the underlying mindset that is out of touch with how most people live - that is what worries me about DC.

granjura Tue 22-Sep-15 16:22:49

What utmost stupidity and cruelty - I have no words to describe this!

I abhor many of Cameron's and Tories' policies- but this is NOT the way to do it. Criticise and atack his policies - totally. I did swome pretty stupid things when I was a teenager- as most of us did (well, none quite as bad ... but even so) - all this raking up of old vides of Corbyn and Cameron when very much younger is just sooo bl***y stupid.

thatbags Tue 22-Sep-15 16:27:17

I don't agree that it was cruel to the pig.

Indinana Tue 22-Sep-15 16:28:21

A total disgrace. No, not DC, but the idiots who thought this cheap prank was worth putting that little pig through all that stress.
So DC got up to some stupid high jinks as a student? And? God almighty, I can't even begin to tell you some of the things I heard about throughout my career at a University SU. Yes, students can be very stupid. No, they don't think of the consequences. Usually because they're too drunk at the time. And no, they don't imagine that one day they'll by PM.
Is any of that the fault of one scared animal?
Sorry, but anyone who finds this sorry episode even remotely amusing is just as bad as those two prats in Hi Vis jackets.

thatbags Tue 22-Sep-15 16:35:44

The pig didn't seem all that stressed to me. People's pet moggies get more stressed than that when something they don't like is put upon them, such as being put into a cat basket for transporting to the vet.

granjura Tue 22-Sep-15 16:36:02

thatbags that pig was terrified- how can you say that!?

granjura Tue 22-Sep-15 16:37:40

Perhaps you have not watched the whole thing- from 1.47 onwards!

thatbags Tue 22-Sep-15 16:37:40

Because that's what I think, gj. I don't think it liked being picked up is all. It was fine once held and it was fine in the cage.

Our geese didn't like being picked up but once they were held they were fine and perfectly calm.

thatbags Tue 22-Sep-15 16:39:55

Likewise chickens.

Indinana Tue 22-Sep-15 16:42:04

Well of course I imagine it's easy to excuse this sort of behaviour if it's at the expense of someone you dislike.

thatbags Tue 22-Sep-15 16:45:06

I have no strong feelings either way about Cameron. I neither like nor dislike him. I like the guts of the pranksters.

thatbags Tue 22-Sep-15 16:47:43

So, carrying a pig in a cage for a little while, subjecting it to a little stress for a minute or two and then taking it home again, is cruelty. Well, well, and there was I thinking life itself was stressful so all animals must feel stress some of the time. Feeling stressed does not necessarily cause harm. Stress is actually useful in some cases as it boosts the adrenaline.

However, I see that so far no-one else sees this as I do. Shrug and hey ho.

granjura Tue 22-Sep-15 16:49:20

Yes, I have kept chickens and geese, and many other animals.

No excuse for this! And I can't stand Cameron (there I said it).

thatbags Tue 22-Sep-15 16:51:14

I like the piss-taking. Healthy societies need piss-takers. I don't give a damn about Cameron or the alleged pig story to do with him. I applaud these piss-takers extraordinaire.

grumppa Tue 22-Sep-15 16:52:18

Tasteless, cruel and stupid, but in a sort of tradition. I remember someone releasing a live chicken over the balcony of a cinema in Oxford during a screening of Hitchcock's The Birds.

granjura Tue 22-Sep-15 16:55:53

I like the piss taking too- but don't like the use kids or animals in the process.

(btw I also worked as a volunteer with wildlife rescue in my area for a very long time, so undestand about holding, covering, adrenalin and more. Sometimes you have to cause much stress to an animal, especially if injured, to rescue it and take it to a vet- but this is NECESSARY not gratuitous for point scoring. Have you ever tried to rescue an injured badger- dangerous work. I know some who lost fingers and more).

Grannyknot Tue 22-Sep-15 17:06:14

It's an unfunny piss-take.

Anya Tue 22-Sep-15 17:50:58

Not even funny.

lighteninggirl Tue 22-Sep-15 17:53:36

Making themselves look as bad as DC and I too would be deeply embarrassed by my student antics who wouldnt