Gransnet forums

News & politics

And so it begins.

(220 Posts)
petra Sat 26-Sep-15 16:20:55

Headline in the DM today.
Now, with gangs of men roaming the streets and young German women being told to cover up, the moods changing.
But that's ok, don't you change, we will adapt to your culture.

I must be a soothsayer, I was saying this would happen weeks ago.
Must buy a lottery ticket.

whitewave Sat 26-Sep-15 16:23:22

And you believe what the DM publishes!!!!????hmm

soontobe Sat 26-Sep-15 16:26:25

How much of the DM do you think is truth whitewave?

Ana Sat 26-Sep-15 16:31:22

It's been reported elsewhere as well. A Bavarian headmaster sent a letter to the parents of pupils advising that girls should dress in a modest fashion, as apparently refugee accommodation has been set up next to the school's gym. The gym has been closed, and activities relocated to a local primary school.

soontobe Sat 26-Sep-15 16:34:58

A lot of people struggle to see far into the distance of anything.

soontobe Sat 26-Sep-15 16:36:59

Some people end up saying "well no one has the benefit of hindsight". And I so want to say to them, "some people have foresight".

merlotgran Sat 26-Sep-15 16:37:16

Wasn't there a blog on here recently written by a woman who had taken in a refugee in Calais? One of the things that came close to causing friction was his objection to her daughter going out without wearing head covering and not being modestly dressed.hmm

It's no good having a poke at the DM if it's true.

petra Sat 26-Sep-15 16:51:01

I knew there would be some tree huggers (as I call them) who couldn't imagine that (some) of these poor (weeping eye emotion) innocent lonely young men could behave in such a way.

petra Sat 26-Sep-15 16:52:17

It's not what a lot of people want to read.

whitewave Sat 26-Sep-15 16:53:20

I wouldn't trust the DM no further than I could throw it

soontobe Sat 26-Sep-15 17:01:14

Ok fair enough whitewave. For what it is worth, I probably think 80% of it is true. At least. They would keep getting sued otherwise, I would have thought.

annsixty Sat 26-Sep-15 17:06:12

I can't be the only one wondering what these young men in their thousands are going to do if or when they get settled somewhere. Are they going to radicalise the people of their own age or are they not of any faith at all and will adapt to local traditions and way of life. I think not.

whitewave Sat 26-Sep-15 17:08:35

Interesting post from ana - I am afraid that if that is true my reaction would be that the young Muslim men should not look if their sensibilities were being offended.

rosequartz Sat 26-Sep-15 17:08:44

I wouldn't trust the DM no further than I could throw it

You miss some good things, then whitewave eg
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3249130/Last-British-resident-held-Guantanamo-Bay-finally-cleared-released-Londoner-Shaker-Aamer-fly-UK.html
plus other campaigns for justice for ordinary people, some successful, others perhaps not.
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2732222/Victory-parking-cowboys-Hospitals-ordered-ban-bullies-seriously-ill-free-parking.html
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3245500/Crackdown-charity-sharks-prey-elderly-vulnerable-Mail-s-revelations.html

but perhaps you won't look at the links

It is worth keeping an open mind imo

I even believe some of the stuff printed in the Guardian

rosequartz Sat 26-Sep-15 17:10:14

Yes, I read (not in the DM) that rape of women and children is occurring in refugee camps in Germany.
I hope Germany knows what it is doing.

rosesarered Sat 26-Sep-15 17:13:17

Petra..... How about a few predictions regarding my finances, only good ones though!grin

petra Sat 26-Sep-15 17:25:35

Whitewave. Are you aware that it was the DM who put the pond life who killed Steven Laurance behind bars.
I suppose the rape victims and the child abuse is all lies as well!!! But the Germans don't want you to know this: it was all supposed so lovely.
Rapes are happening in the Calais camps as well. But let's not point the finger at these poor young homeless young men, eh.

rosesarered Sat 26-Sep-15 17:31:03

Sadly, we will be hearing about a lot more of this sort of thing as time goes on.
the Syrian men will have to adjust to Europe and the freedoms that women take for granted here.Being critical of hair and dress ( of women) will not be tolerated.It may be a big culture shock but they will have to adjust to it, not the other way round.

merlotgran Sat 26-Sep-15 17:33:39

How is anyone going to manage so many young men?

And yes, they WILL need managing before they start fighting amongst themselves if they're not doing so already. An army of young men needs leadership and they're not an organised army.

Those of us who expressed concern when all this began were roundly jumped on but I think it's naive to ignore the problems that lie ahead.

whitewave Sat 26-Sep-15 17:33:42

No petra it is just that I have seen enough of the DM to disagree profoundly with its editorial stance, and be aware that not everything that makes its front page is absolutely true. Of course some of its reporting is OK, but I wouldn't go any further than that, if I wanted a right wing paper I would have tbought the telegraph was preferable.But the DM is not a publication I would waste my money on.

petra Sat 26-Sep-15 17:37:44

Roses. Just like they do in this country? We now have teams of police who's main focus is arranged marriages. We now have clinics set up for FGM victims. Oh they have really integrated, haven't they. And, no apology for using 'they'

petra Sat 26-Sep-15 17:39:37

Just getting the crystal ball out, Roses. Although you didn't have to be Einstien to see this coming.

durhamjen Sat 26-Sep-15 17:44:35

Maybe this sort of thing would not be happening if more people hugged trees.

whitewave Sat 26-Sep-15 17:46:06

Oh dear oh dear what an unpleasant line this thread is taking.

rosesarered Sat 26-Sep-15 17:48:37

I know Petra, there are plenty of Muslims already here that haven't adjusted to Western values, tastes etc. It's a minefield really.I am glad to say though, that as a country we are taking these things more seriously now and not saying as many did before ' oh it's just their culture!'
The Hindu people that I know, have a much more relaxed stance and fit in much more.