Gransnet forums

News & politics

Mad cows in Wales

(11 Posts)
rosesarered Thu 01-Oct-15 14:23:33

Just on the news that cows in Wales have been found to BSE, hope this won't spread, it was devastating last time around.

tanith Thu 01-Oct-15 14:36:23

I think there were isolated cases found last year too so lets hope its just a one off.

Anniebach Thu 01-Oct-15 14:41:42

It seems to have caused some effect, google earth has located the Brecon Beacons in London between Chelsea and Knightsbridge

Just one dead cow rosesarered so not in the food chain , there was one case in 2013 so it does seem the controls are working , hope so

rosesarered Thu 01-Oct-15 14:47:09

Let's hope so, it was terrible for farmers last time around, heartbreaking to see their herds go up in smoke.

Alea Thu 01-Oct-15 18:37:20

Not something to joke about but BSE between Chelsea and Knightsbridge is a bit mind boggling!

rosesarered Thu 01-Oct-15 18:39:45

That's Google Earth for you Alea!

Alea Thu 01-Oct-15 20:25:54

Clearly it's not only the cows that are mad. (I know it is no joking matter, really!)

Jane10 Fri 02-Oct-15 07:19:08

It certainly is not a joking matter. Very sadly a colleague developed CJD and died in a very short time. Her behaviour became stranger and stranger but even so it was such a shock to discover that that was what was wrong with her. Her poor family.

Alea Fri 02-Oct-15 07:34:53

Oh Jane10 how awful.
When there was all the initial publicity about CJD I felt terrible because I had bought cheapo beef burgers for the children at Iceland ( goodness knows what was in them). Never went there again shock

Maggiemaybe Fri 02-Oct-15 08:40:49

I worried so much at the time because the only meat my son would eat back then was in the form of tinned meatballs, which he loved.

I met an American lady on holiday who had lived for 4 months in Cumbria back then. Her husband was a vet and was drafted in to help with the testing and condemning of herds.

How awful about your colleague, Jane10.

Jane10 Fri 02-Oct-15 14:09:40

She was about retirement age. Not just a youngster anyway. Very very bad luck indeed. She was such a bright sensible person it was extremely hard to understand her behaviour as it changed. She did exceptionally odd things. So strange that they didn't make any sense at all. Not like onset of dementia or post stroke. I'm only saying this in the very remote likelihood that someone you know develops this but people don't suspect CJD and don't get diagnosed quickly. Not that there's anything that can be done but might help families understand what's going on. Sorry to be morbid.