Gransnet forums

News & politics

Working grandparents to share parental leave and pay

(7 Posts)
Spidergran5 Sun 04-Oct-15 18:34:05

Has anyone seen this? www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34437405

Looks like Osborne plans to extend the current shared parental leave to grandparents.

They've only just introduced the shared parental leave to fathers. Would have been good for us not long ago when DGS was born. Although not sure my employer would have appreciated it!!

brie Sun 04-Oct-15 18:52:17

I think it's a great idea. I'll be able to help DD when her baby is born (we don't know the sex!) She can't afford to take maternity leave for a full year. I can have the baby for a bit longer before he/she starts nursery.

Ana Sun 04-Oct-15 18:55:19

I can't see employers being over the moon about this proposal!

rosesarered Sun 04-Oct-15 19:01:11

I think it's because Grandparents now play such a big part of childcare.Eventually firms would get used to it, just as they did with maternity and paternity leave.

Ana Sun 04-Oct-15 19:12:51

Well, of course they'll have to, but I know some small businesses struggle to cope with maternity/paternity leave as it is. It's fine for the big firms.

Nelliemoser Mon 05-Oct-15 10:26:02

I cannot see how this works. Does it mean that the grandparents get a share of the parents statutory mat/pat leave, as paid by the parents employer? Or is it that working mums can pay their statutory mat/pat leave to retired grandparents to compensate them for loss of freedom.

That is still not leaving the mums with their new babies if still breast feeding them for the recomended six months.

It seems to defeat the object of mat leave which is letting mums spend time with their new babies.

ninathenana Mon 05-Oct-15 15:01:26

Parents who want to return to work will be able to transfer some of their mat/pat leave to GP. This could mean GP's receive state payouts of £140 a week.
This would only be payable to GP's taking time out of work. They would be able to reclaim their jobs for up to 12 mths after baby is born.