Gransnet forums

News & politics

David Cameron's speech

(151 Posts)
Luckygirl Wed 07-Oct-15 21:51:31

I have to say that I am really feeling the need for a finger-down-throat icon. DC's speech was sickening. A pretence of being caring; a set of plans for a greater Britain for heaven's sake - does he think we are totally brainless!? If this is what he has in mind - all this caring for the poor and disadvantaged etc. - why the heck has he not applied himself to it in the last 5 years? It is all so cynical. It makes me despair. What a creep. I really do think that is absolutely the most cynical political speech I have ever heard. I hate with a passion these "Churchillian" sound bites that all politicians seem to feel are necessary to communicate with us; the ponderous delivery; the well-placed tear - oh vomit vomit!

And all those back-slappers standing and applauding him - yuk!

Politics is such a dirty game.

granjura Wed 07-Oct-15 22:08:54

His interview on the Sunday programme re the reasons why he is sucking up to the vile Saudi government, and totally refused to interfere re the beheading and crucifixion of a kid who joined a protest against that vile Government, was a lot sick inducing.

Anya Wed 07-Oct-15 22:38:18

Perhaps he means it.

Anya Wed 07-Oct-15 22:45:18

And all UK governments have sucked up to the Saudis. The blame for such vile acts must rest with the vile leaders of that country and the people who carry them out, not with anyone else.

rosesarered Wed 07-Oct-15 22:52:30

Well said Anya. All governments for years and years have remained on good terms with the Saudis. Who knows what goes on behind the scenes via the Foreign Office, I expect they have tried to intervene, but in the end there is a limit to how much they can push for something.

rosesarered Wed 07-Oct-15 22:57:27

While not agreeing with some Conservative policies, I didn't think it was a bad speech at all ( from Cameron) and if they deliver on half of it will be doing well.As Labour have been pulled violently to the left, so the Conservatives have moved to the centre, even left of centre!This is a canny move that will sit well with the voting public.

Oldgreymare Wed 07-Oct-15 23:18:28

All rhetoric no reality. DC announces that he/his government wants to do this, must do that......O.K. lets see what he/they actually do #emptypromises

whitewave Thu 08-Oct-15 08:09:23

No-one can believe the Tories are moving to the centre. That is simply their rhetoric. Nothing they have recently done suggests anything other than a dance to the right.

Anya Thu 08-Oct-15 08:15:29

Sweeping statement whitewave to say that 'nobody believes'. But it is a canny move politically.

Anniebach Thu 08-Oct-15 08:23:29

This country could do to Saudia Arabia the same as it has done to other countries, decide the leader must go and get rid of them.

whitewave Thu 08-Oct-15 08:32:22

No anya. I said "no-one can believe" a different statement to "nobody believes"

Iam64 Thu 08-Oct-15 08:43:03

You aren't serious are you Anniebach? Another terrible, hopeless war in an area where interference from Europe/USA has caused untold damage there and in our own countries.

The speech was very clever imo. It appealed strongly to the tory party and continued the argument that the tories are the party of hard working people. The attack on Jeremy Corbyn was another clever move, simply repeating the bit of JC's view that the way in which Osama BinLadin was killed was 'a tragedy', without adding all the other comments that confirmed JC wasn't mourning the loss of that individual.

You're right to call it Churchillian Luckygirl - he's a clever politician. Loathsome policies that attack the poorest, most vulnerable and allow the rich to become richer. No legal aid in family/housing etc unless in "exceptional circumstances". It seems being homeless and mentally ill doesn't equal "exceptional circumstances" which means the individual is supposed to represent him/herself in court. In family cases parents at the end of their emotional tether and in awful circumstances are now expected to represent themselves in court. Delays are mounting and this surely isn't justice. I could whinge on, especially about the NHS but I'll stop ranting.

Yes, a clever politician who manages to present a kind face to many people who don't see what's happening until it directly affects them.

Gracesgran Thu 08-Oct-15 09:09:18

"By his deeds shall a man be known".

Clever speech - he has learned a lot from T Blair about the "middle ground" as opposed to the political centre. Perhaps they should send out copies to all those who will be told, just before Christmas, just how much this government is going to take from their income. At least they will know then that this is being done to them by a government who can talk a good talk - and they could set fire to it when they have to decide between heating and eating.

Luckygirl Thu 08-Oct-15 09:16:02

For "canny" read cynical.

It is a deliberate attempt to con voters into thinking that he really does care about disadvantaged people when we know from his proposals and his record that he does no such thing.

Anniebach Thu 08-Oct-15 09:37:41

Perhaps a supporter of this government will explain where the caring for the disadvantaged is happening

Luckygirl Thu 08-Oct-15 09:44:43

I have a deep aversion to political rhetoric, posturing and rabble-rousing speeches. Yuk and double yuk.

There are studies of crowd behaviour and the key words and inflections (and indeed the musical intervals and rhythms) that stir people up - and we know how dangerous that can be. There needs be no truth in what is being said for it to have the desired effect, as we saw with DC's speech.

There is nothing in his track record or proposals to suggest that he gives a flying f* for anyone who is disadvantaged, or indeed has the remotest concept of how "the other half live."

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 08-Oct-15 09:44:49

Yeah, cos it's that easy is'nt it anniebach? Wonder why Assad is still there. hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 08-Oct-15 09:45:25

It's a party conference. What did you expect Luckgirl?

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 08-Oct-15 09:46:38

Maybe he's just getting the lazy into work so that he can help the really needy.

Yes, I will wait for the usual sob stories.

Luckygirl Thu 08-Oct-15 09:50:01

I of course expected it; I am just commenting on how thoroughly nauseating, unedifying and dishonest it is.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 08-Oct-15 09:50:54

Not necessarily. Perhaps he means it. As Corbyn means what he says.

Luckygirl Thu 08-Oct-15 09:59:09

He has had 5 years to show he means it and has done nothing to help and everything to hinder the progress and comfort of those who are sick, disabled, poor, mentally ill etc. The Lib Dem influence has been there to curb the worst excesses - now that is gone he can bash on regardless, which is how democracy works. But the hypocrisy of his speech is a pin (oops - pain! in the rear.

Anya Thu 08-Oct-15 10:12:32

You are entitled to belittle the speech as 'nauseating, unedifying and dishonest' if you like lucky but it is your opinion, not a fact, something which is often misunderstood. And as for 'no one can believe' (still a sweeping statement) that too is not correct.

I won't even comment of the risible comment that we should try to oust the Saudis. What on earth gives us the divine right to interfere, unless we believe that we have 'god on our side'?

Cameron is PM. He has a mandate to govern and, to be frank, if he achieves what he set out in his speech I will be delighted. If he doesn't then the electorate will have their opportunity in 2016 to vote in Jeremy et al and he can gave his chance to do things his way then.

That's democracy.

Gracesgran Thu 08-Oct-15 10:28:12

Of course it is Luckygirl's opinion Anya but it is her opinion and she is as entitled to hold it as you to hold yours; she is even as entitled as others are to use exaggerated language to put her point across.

The speech is already showing the style over substance. I have put on the Conservative Conference thread his almost word for word repeat about young people not being able to buy houses and still being in their parents home that he made in 2012. As you point out, he is PM and he has been given a mandate to govern. If he has really done so well over the last five years then why has be not dealt with a problem he pointed out in 2012? It isn't a new problem and it has grown under his watch.

Apparently, although the story about "Elizabeth" is true she sees the solution to the challenges of the country as it is at the moment not coming from D Cameron but from the Labour Party and Jeremy Corbyn. You can see this was reported in 2012 - again Cameron has had a parliament to do something, anything about the issues and has done nothing.

Anniebach Thu 08-Oct-15 10:30:04

We got shot of the leaders of Iraq and Lybia