Gransnet forums

News & politics

Starbucks red cups

(27 Posts)
thatbags Thu 05-Nov-15 15:38:36

I didn't know until a few minutes ago that for a few years Starbucks has changed to red cups for a period in the run up to Christmas. Apparently, the fact that it has stopped putting christmassy things on the red cups is "emblematic of Western Christian culture cleansing".

I laughed out loud when I saw that tweet.

soop Thu 05-Nov-15 16:17:29

Bollocks!

soontobe Thu 05-Nov-15 17:41:52

I must be getting out of the loop of modern language. I dont understand the tweet, and I dont think I understand a single tweet after it.

soontobe Thu 05-Nov-15 17:51:02

I have never been in a starbucks, because I never liked the look of their emblem.

nigglynellie Thu 05-Nov-15 18:00:50

Most modern language is a mystery to me!!!! as is Twitter and Facebook! I've never ever been in Starbucks, nor do I want to, and can only just find my way round Amazon, oh, and I can do groceries on line, which is quite a triumph! I do have A level English Literature and History, (boasting again!!) neither of which seem to be of any help or relevance in the twilight of my years! Oh well!!!!

Maggiemaybe Thu 05-Nov-15 18:53:47

So do I, nigglynellie. They do come in handy at pub quizzes. smile

nigglynellie Thu 05-Nov-15 19:11:25

That is true! There is a certain satisfaction in knowing what the Glorious Revolution was, and the author of The autobiography of a Super tramp!!

Deedaa Thu 05-Nov-15 21:48:41

You've missed nothing by not going to Starbucks - their coffee is awful!

soontobe Thu 05-Nov-15 23:37:11

That is all right then grin
There are always others around, and now you have told me that, I wont be fretting!

granjura Fri 06-Nov-15 10:59:06

Deeda- so agree- bitter and tasteless at the same time! And you ask for a small one, and it is the size of a swimming pool- yuk. This made it very easy to boycott due to the tax evasion indeed.

Costa's is much better, and it seems thew do pay fair tax- but I still much prefer the small independent café near us in Market Harborough- friendly, great cakes, great coffee- great local business.

thatbags Tue 10-Nov-15 08:38:05

Saw this, via a friend in Arizona, this morning. Perspective! smile

thatbags Tue 10-Nov-15 08:41:55

By the way, Starbucks now does a milder coffee as well as its usual fairly bitter one.

And if you accidentally drop your latte on a railway platform while helping your DD and GS onto a train, they replace it free of charge. Did for me anyhow.

And those exagerations about swimming pools are silly. A regular latte is a mugful, same as one would make at home.

ffinnochio Tue 10-Nov-15 09:00:11

grin at your link, B - Had a similar one from my daughter-in-law.

Lilygran Tue 10-Nov-15 09:39:08

Eldest DGS told me about it the other day. He said, 'They're complaining there are no Christian symbols like reindeer and snowflakes!'. He's into heavy sarcasm.

NfkDumpling Tue 10-Nov-15 09:46:53

I went into Starbucks once years ago. All that fuss and procedure and messing around for a coffee which wasn't very nice when it eventually came. And expensive too. Haven't been back.

I did think of picking up an empty cup and lid so I could stride along the street looking important with it like all the other go-getters around town!

felice Tue 10-Nov-15 09:49:45

Belguim has not given licences to any of the large coffee chains, except for a Starbucks at the airport and within the Eurostar terminal.
I did not really understand what all the fuss was about and stll don't to be honest.
Who cares about the colour of an awful paper cup.

thatbags Tue 10-Nov-15 10:52:31

Haha! Your GS'd comment made me laugh out loud, lily grin

thatbags Tue 10-Nov-15 10:52:56

GS's

thatbags Tue 10-Nov-15 11:01:30

It had never occurred to me that my drinking coffee out of a trademarked cup would be anything that anyone else noticed until I read your comment, nfk. Mind you, I don't walk about with mine (except for that time carrying mine and DD's to the train she was catching so she could drink hers on the train and I could drink mine on the platform) and I don't know what a go-getter is. #liveinadifferentworld smile

The first time I drove down to DD's rather than catching the train, I stopped at lots of motorway service stations, mostly not Starbucks or Costa, but the last one was one of those and, finally, I got the caffeine kick I needed to complete the journey.

I love it that one can get a refreshing coffee or tea in so many places when one is out and about. The coffee served in most places until the coffee chains started up here, was foul. No wonder I didn't like coffee for thirty years of my adult life.

Lilygran Tue 10-Nov-15 11:24:08

He's a witty child, bags, thank goodness! wink

Iam64 Wed 11-Nov-15 09:05:10

I so agree thatbags. My introduction to coffee was the bottle of Camp coffee my grannie had, dreadful stuff. Later came instant coffee, equally awful. Proper coffee is a different experience. I've just relished my early morning cuppa.

vegasmags Wed 11-Nov-15 09:10:34

Iam64 - my dad used to drink that awful Camp coffee, using boiling water straight from the gas geyser. You can still buy the stuff, though I can't imagine who would want to.

Alea Wed 11-Nov-15 09:30:53

Eldest DGS told me about it the other day. He said, 'They're complaining there are no Christian symbols like reindeer and snowflakes!'. He's into heavy sarcasm

Made me smile too! As did thatbags's link. How easily offended some people can be, is it because, as "Carrie Christmas" says, they don't have real problems?

I, for one welcome the coffee chains in our High Streets, somewhere to meet up with friends, have half an hour to myself or refuel when I need it! Judging by all ages, from yummy mummies to pensioners, they meet a need and are pleasant, bright, warm and clean.

Emblem schmemblem. grin

ginny Wed 11-Nov-15 16:45:52

vagasmags I use camp coffee in coffee and walnut cake .

granjura Wed 11-Nov-15 18:10:38

Really a stupid storm in a coffee cup! Struuuf!