Gransnet forums

News & politics

When will Americans WAKE UP!!

(25 Posts)
tanith Sat 07-Nov-15 14:12:45

i know its probably been discussed but I was just reading about two under 10yr old American children who have been shot and killed in different incidents , one black killed by gangs, one white killed by police officers and I find myself tearful for those young innocent lives ended with guns..

No matter how much weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth and broken hearts NOTHING EVER CHANGES!!

Alea Sat 07-Nov-15 14:28:53

You can't buy a Kinder Egg for a child in the US apparently on grounds of health and safety, but you can buy a firearm.
I rest my case.

Luckygirl Sat 07-Nov-15 15:24:55

Oh for heavens sake - what a strange world we live in.

merlotgran Sat 07-Nov-15 15:31:59

Slimming the genie down won't get it back in the bottle.

Indinana Sat 07-Nov-15 15:57:05

Well said merlot and there lies the problem.

tanith Sat 07-Nov-15 16:24:03

I agree with all of you , there really is nothing that can make it better is there!

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 07-Nov-15 16:28:25

Obama has tried and tried. It's the rest of them in that stupid government of theirs! hmm

Ana Sat 07-Nov-15 16:31:16

And most of the population as well, of course, who demand the right to bear arms...hmm

Anniebach Sat 07-Nov-15 16:44:23

The wealth of the gun lobby keeps the Republican Party afloat , they will never vote for gun control

soontobe Sat 07-Nov-15 17:18:15

I think there are at least 3 inherent issues.

In no particular order

1. They say they have always had them [and a lot of people do not like change]

2. They have them to defend themselves against the Government in case it goes rogue.

3. The amount of guns got past a tipping point.
There was an interesting advert doing the rounds in the US last month.
It was of an older woman, who lived in a violent or semi violent neighbourhood. Drugs and guns are prevalent there. She was saying she needed one for her own safety, because if anything happened, the police would not get there in time.

Ana Sat 07-Nov-15 17:30:38

I've never heard that one about the Government 'going rogue' before! confused

thatbags Sat 07-Nov-15 17:36:28

Actually, even in the US, homicide rates are declining: ourworldindata.org/data/violence-rights/homicides/

soontobe Sat 07-Nov-15 17:38:44

I think this link covers it Ana?

www.heritage.org/research/reports/2014/04/the-second-amendment-and-the-inalienable-right-to-self-defense

rosesarered Sat 07-Nov-15 17:39:18

Oh there's always conspiracy theories in the US. Lots of guns washing around and ditto for strange people. Not a place I would want to live.

soontobe Sat 07-Nov-15 17:44:09

www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2011/06/constitutional-myth-6-the-second-amendment-allows-citizens-to-threaten-government/241298/

ffinnochio Sat 07-Nov-15 21:33:49

From my experience Ana, having spent many months in America, I have never come across anyone who has a gun or thinks that the concept the right to bear arms is a valid argument to continue with such ridiculousness.
The gun lobby is rich, and therefore financially underpins the Republicans. Sadly, it's politics, not common sense.
Obama is hog-tied.
Many, many Americans seek to change the gun laws, sadly #notrichenough

ffinnochio Sat 07-Nov-15 21:40:38

I do wish Americans are not all tarred with the same negative brush. Seems to me there's a lot of that on GN. hmm

Cherrytree59 Sat 07-Nov-15 21:47:18

Afraid its a case of live by the gun, perish by the gun.
Especially when you can bt ammunition in Walmart.

Ana Sat 07-Nov-15 21:50:39

Never having lived there perhaps I've got the wrong impression, but the many documentaries I've seen do seem to suggest that a great many US citizens do own guns.

I'll be more than happy to be proved wrong, and certainly have no wish to tar anyone with any sort of brush.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 07-Nov-15 22:45:00

How could that have happened to that little six year old boy? That is unforgivable. Poor little lad. sadangry

Envious Sat 07-Nov-15 23:04:51

I'd never dream of having a gun. I don't feel it's necessary. I wonder why they can't just stop making them? I'm so mad that these cops are killing children. They all need to be retrained.

hildajenniJ Sat 07-Nov-15 23:18:27

Yesterday I read about a four year old boy who shot and injured himself with a loaded gun he found in the glove box of his mother's car. They were in a car park after shopping. Why would any mother have a loaded gun in her car? Americans mystify me.

soontobe Sun 08-Nov-15 13:15:52

Walmart sell bullets and guns in its stores. Not sure if it is all their stores or not.

money.cnn.com/2015/08/26/news/companies/walmart-ar-15-guns/

When my son was there for several months last year, visiting several universities and staying with uni students, gun ownership in ordinary homes was rife across various states.

tanith Sun 08-Nov-15 13:25:10

I've made several internet friends who are American and apart from one they all keep guns in the house, one of them actually had problems with racoons in her 'yard' I asked how they would deal with them and she said her husband just shoots them from the porch... I couldn't believe she said that without a thought.
I'm sure there are Americans who wish it were not so but no one seems able to change anything . I fear its never going to happen.

Deedaa Sun 08-Nov-15 23:53:46

Try reading the comments on any posts on Facebook involving guns, Obama, immigration or vaccination and you will be stunned by what some Americans believe. My American SiL tells me this is why he lives over here.