Gransnet forums

News & politics

Remembrance Day

(19 Posts)
HthrEdmndsn Wed 11-Nov-15 11:31:42

When I was growing up Remembrance Day was held on 11.11.11, what ever day of the week it was. Everything stopped for the two minutes, and then carried on. Poppies were worn for that day only as far as I recall.

Then at some time it was decided it would be held on the nearest Sunday.

Now, we have two Remembrance Days. We had The Cenotaph services on Sunday with the two minute silence, and another two minute silence today. Poppies are almost obligitary for a month before.

Does this not just dilute the whole meaning?

NotTooOld Wed 11-Nov-15 11:44:16

Yes, Hthr, it does dilute the whole meaning. It's all got out of hand this year - see earlier thread on Poppy Police.

I was in Tesco on Sunday and was exhorted by the tannoy to observe the two minutes at 11 am, which I did along with most (but not all) other people but it didn't seem right. Sunday was the 8/11, not 11/11.

Devorgilla Wed 11-Nov-15 12:00:13

I think the over-observing of it comes down to younger people being confused as to when it should be done and don't want to offend. They therefore go on the clues they get that there is a Sunday service specifically for this and that is the time to do it. People employed as managers today are a lot younger than we are. It would help if the British Legion/Government sent out specific guidelines on it to firms who could then send out company instructions. Like you Hthr I always observed it on the 11th. I assume the Cenotaph Service is held on a Sunday because of the involvement of the Church and other religious organisations, constrictions on the Royals, politicians, traffic control, fewer shops open etc. We also have the BBC programme at the RAH of course.

Elegran Wed 11-Nov-15 12:04:58

I was at a funeral today at 11 am, and we started by observing the two minute silence. That was the right time for it, and we were all in the right frame of mind too.

Anniebach Wed 11-Nov-15 12:59:08

It was moved to Sunday because it meant less hassle , didn't infer with a working day , so much for honouring the dead

HthrEdmndsn Wed 11-Nov-15 13:30:28

Yes, I agree that was the reason it was moved, but now we are expected to observe it twice.

Deedaa Wed 11-Nov-15 21:37:39

I was pleased when they started observing the two minute silence on November 11th again. It seems much more meaningful to take two minutes out of the normal working day. Perhaps the Sunday should become just ceremonial with the silence only observed by those attending (Except when it falls on the 11th of course)

Grandma2213 Thu 12-Nov-15 02:31:48

I thought Remembrance Sunday was just the nearest Sunday when Church Services were held and though I am not a Christian I have always maintained the silence on that day out of respect. However the 11th is the anniversary of Armistice Day and I always respect the silence on that day too in memory of all those who have died or suffered. I worked in schools which always kept the silence on that day and now that I am retired I find somewhere meaningful to myself. This year it was my village memorial cross. There were wreaths there from Sunday but today I was alone and that suited me as it felt much more personal.

thatbags Thu 12-Nov-15 07:54:56

I didn't observe the two-minute silence either on Sunday or yesterday. But I have not forgotten that people died in past wars.

Teetime Thu 12-Nov-15 10:09:55

I was playing golf yesterday and the silence was observed on the course at 11am (not by all though). The pro sounded the claxon at the beginning and the end although we could also hear the 'gun' that is fired in the town. It was very touching to do this together and my three companions who natter continuously at golf (not me I am a dedicated sportswoman) were quiet too.

rosequartz Thu 12-Nov-15 10:53:23

I don't know how old some people are who remember Remembrance Day being held on the 11th November and not on the nearest Sunday but it has been like it since 1945 and services on both days held for the past 20 years. The Remembrance Sunday service is usually the big one, but Remembrance Day itself is often just remembered with a few people gathered around the local war memorial and sometimes by a 2 minute silence in shops, offices etc.
Local churches hold services at different times on the neares Sunday as well as the 11th, and it is good to see younger people remembering with services for school children on the 11th November either in church or around the local war memorials.

From 1919 until 1945, Armistice Day observance was always on 11 November itself. It was then moved to Remembrance Sunday, but since the 50th anniversary of the end of the Second World War in 1995, it has become usual to hold ceremonies on both Armistice Day and Remembrance Sunday.

In 2006, then Chancellor of the Exchequer Gordon Brown proposed that in addition to Remembrance Sunday, a new national day to celebrate the achievements of veterans should be instituted. The "Veterans Day", to be held in the summer, would be similar to Veterans Day celebrations in the United States. This has now been renamed "Armed Forces Day", to include currently serving troops to Service families, and from veterans to cadets. The first "Armed Forces Day" was held on 27 June 2009.

Submariners hold an additional remembrance walk and ceremony on the Sunday before Remembrance Sunday, which has The Submariners Memorial as its focal point.

but now we are expected to observe it twice.
You don't have to HthrEdmndsn smile

Anniebach I think having Remembrance Sunday is quite a good idea as more people can come together to remember, whereas if it was on the 11th, which usually falls within the week, some people may look on it as a holiday hmm. Of course, it falls on the Sunday some years.

A few people we know have been silent for a total of 12 minutes this year (DH included) because they were invited to various services both on Sunday and yesterday.

Anniebach Thu 12-Nov-15 11:23:56

rosequartz, it is sensible to hold it on Sunday but France manage to stick with the eleventh , it seems sad that we cannot hold it on the eleventh but at least we rememberand this is what matters . My 21 year old great nephew went up to London for it this year , he had no problem in telling us he cried - oh and he thought Kate Middleton was quite something !

felice Thu 12-Nov-15 12:52:20

Here in Belguim it is held on the 11th which is a national holiday. in some towns all the traffic lights turn red at 11.00am, not in Brussels.
The European Commission and Parliament do not observe the holiday as the Germans vetoed it.
I have attended a service in one of the many WW cemeteries here and it was incredibly touching. 2 of my great uncles are buried there.
Anyone visiting Ieper should visit St Johns Church which is used by the English speaking Churches in Belguim and is full of history.

felice Thu 12-Nov-15 13:22:11

Sorry it is St Georges Memorial Church not St Johns.

nigglynellie Thu 12-Nov-15 14:02:47

Your post is very interesting felice, My DH's grandfather is buried in one of the many WW1 cemeteries , and the name of a distant cousin of mine is on the Menin Gate and we hope to visit this and the war grave next summer.

felice Thu 12-Nov-15 14:09:58

It is very interesting, and very sad too. If you can you should try to visit the German cemetery also, the ages on the back-to-back headstones go from 12 to 75. and the graves are as far as the eye can see.
The Passchendale Memorial centre is very interesting too.

nigglynellie Thu 12-Nov-15 16:50:26

12 to 75! How dreadful is that. I think the sheer numbers of graves stretching away in the distance is almost beyond comprehension, also the fact that German graves can sometimes be overlooked, perhaps forgetting that they were young men too caught up in both these dreadful conflicts, and should also command our respect and sorrow both at the bravery and futility of it all.

felice Thu 12-Nov-15 17:05:09

if you are visiting Brussels on your trip feel free to contact me and I will show some interesting places off the usual tourist trail, for instance Edith Cavell lived just around the corner from me, and the headquarters of the Gestapo was next door to her residence during WW11.

nigglynellie Thu 12-Nov-15 17:13:40

Thank you felice. I will certainly bear you kind offer in mind next year.