Gransnet forums

News & politics

Drone strikes

(108 Posts)
grannyactivist Thu 19-Nov-15 01:42:08

'The killing of innocent civilians in drone airstrikes has acted as one of the most “devastating driving forces for terrorism and destabilization around the world”', say American drone operators.

In one major special operations program in northeastern Afghanistan called Operation Haymaker 35 individuals targeted for assassination were actually killed in drone strikes, but 219 other non-targeted individuals were also killed. That's a 'collateral damage' rate of six to one and may include women, children and babies.
theintercept.com/drone-papers/the-assassination-complex/
www.mintpressnews.com/new-york-times-buries-intercept-whistleblowers-shocking-drone-war-disclosures/211023/

Do grans who advocate bombing Syria think the killing of IS forces is worth the price being paid by innocents who also die in drone strikes?

loopylou Thu 19-Nov-15 07:26:46

There are many more innocents being tortured, manned and killed by ISIS, as in the Russian plane and the horrific events in Paris.

Sadly that is what happens in war and in terrorism.

How would you propose eliminating IS and other terrorist groups ga? I presume you have ideas that would work better and not inflict collateral damage.

Anya Thu 19-Nov-15 07:41:00

i question the authenticity of that article. Anyone can claim almost anything and release it as 'fact' on the Internet.

soontobe Thu 19-Nov-15 08:02:21

Sometimes choices in life are between worse, amd worser.

I very much doubt that there were many at all in Britain in WW11 who sat in the airraid shelters and thought this is not fair, we are innocent. Please stop bombing Germany and Japan, then they will stop bombing us, then we can all get back to our normal lives.

Anya Thu 19-Nov-15 08:09:45

'Sometimes choices in life are between worse, amd worser' [sic]

Indeed S2B sad

loopylou Thu 19-Nov-15 09:24:40

Sadly that's just it soon
sad

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 19-Nov-15 09:30:46

It's just too hard. sad

That's a cop-out. I know.

We need to protect our innocents too grannyactivist.

If this strategy is wrong, you need to say what you would do.

Anniebach Thu 19-Nov-15 09:35:25

I expect IS share soons views on choices in life

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 19-Nov-15 09:47:47

What a truly stupid, and horrifyingly awful thing to say, anniebach.

Anniebach Thu 19-Nov-15 09:56:53

No jingle, IS too have a choice to kill or not kill, they believe their reasons for killing innocent people are the right reasons , you cannot deny this , we abhor their reasons and their actions but they believe in what they are doing.

They said the killings in Paris was revenge for France bombing Syria, therefore they believed their actions were justified.

Now France believe upping their bombing on Syria is justified ,

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 19-Nov-15 09:59:25

No. I think you owe soontobe a huge apology.

Anniebach Thu 19-Nov-15 10:23:25

Do you jingle , I do not

rosequartz Thu 19-Nov-15 10:39:30

stb had got it right though
The lesser of two evils.

Or should we just give in and accept it and say that it's inevitable? The thought is horrific, but perhaps pacifists think they would be exempt from horror.
Perhaps the pacifists would be happy with Pax Romana - which in fact was peace imposed by force.
Or perhaps they have visions of becoming to be a puppet government?

rosequartz Thu 19-Nov-15 11:04:41

Incorrect grammat in last sentence - apologies.

No anniebach they do not think like stb

People who try to find reasoning behind hatred and bloodlust are misguided.

Anniebach Thu 19-Nov-15 11:08:07

Can there be a lesser evil? Or does belief in a lesser evil make it easier to tske a life ?

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 19-Nov-15 11:09:08

You equated soon's views to those of IS. Preposterous! Surely you can see the that? Perhaps a few more days at a retreat? Get things sorted?

rosesarered Thu 19-Nov-15 11:11:03

The sooner ISIS are blown up the better. Drone strikes are more accurate than any other type of bombs.As Soontb says, a choice of worse or even worser.

whitewave Thu 19-Nov-15 11:13:51

Their legality is highly doubtful

Anniebach Thu 19-Nov-15 11:18:07

So we bomb the middle east , that will solve it

Anniebach Thu 19-Nov-15 11:18:59

Jingle, personal attacks are childish

Anniebach Thu 19-Nov-15 11:20:45

Rosequartz, so France have not upped their bombing on Syria since the killings in Paris for revenge ?

mcem Thu 19-Nov-15 11:23:09

The word 'worser' does not exist!

Luckygirl Thu 19-Nov-15 11:27:52

I cannot find any way of justifying that level of "collateral damage" - i.e. wholesale slaughter, assuming he figures to be accurate. This results in more recruits for IS, more hatred towards the west and an escalation in violence.

Clearly it is necessary to kill the IS leaders who are brainwashing young muslims but the intelligence and targeting have to be better than this before the action can be justified.

I think that Annie's comments are about the nature of fundamentalism as it expresses itself within any religion. It is very frightening.

rosesarered Thu 19-Nov-15 11:29:39

mcem you are correct, but it sounds ok.

Anniebach Thu 19-Nov-15 11:32:40

Correct Luckygirl,