Gransnet forums

News & politics

Have the cuts been worth it?

(40 Posts)
Eloethan Sun 22-Nov-15 00:51:00

The I reported today "Osborne needs a minor miracle to keep on track", referring to the weakest set of October public finance figures for 6 years - the borrowing figure for last month was well above expectations.

Meanwhile ..........

"Sub-prime mortgages make a surprise return to UK market" (lending to people with poor credit histories - said to be cause of 2008 crash) (Guardian 31.10.15)

"Top firms on CBI Advisory Panel failing to pay living wage" (Guardian 7.11.15)

"A new sheriff in a small town" (Frinton residents pay £2 a week for private security since they are now totally reliant on PCSOs) (Guardian 7.11.15)

"Growing care homes crisis will transfer cost burden to NHS" (Guardian 7.11.15)

"Risky to leave forensics to private sector, warns expert" (The I 30.10.15)

"UK losing leverage on world stage, says report" (The I 3.11.15)

"Rising fees behind the "collapse" in part-time students" (The I 29.1015)

"Return of Victorian diseases" (The I 28.10.15)

"Most workers to be "worse off" under new state pension" (Guardian 27.10.15)

"Budget cuts put children's centres at risk of closure" (Guardian 19.10.15)

"Over-stretched neonatal units risk to babies" (Guardian 19.10.15)

"Further Education colleges on edge of bankruptcy" (Guardian 19.10.15)

"MPs warn that pensioners face mis-selling scandal" (Guardian 19.10.15)

"Growth in low-paid self-employed jobs" (The I 5.10.15)

"Courts charges depriving victims of payouts" (The I 14.10.15)

"Planning verdicts take three times longer after cuts" (The I 14.10.15)

"Legal Aid reform is shambles, says whistleblowers" (The I 17.10.15)"

"Reliance on food banks means Britain faces health nightmare (The I 7.9.15)

"Fifty magistrates quit over "unfair" court fees (The I 5.9.15)

"46,000 "Meals on Wheels" services cut" (number of elderly people admitted to hospital with malnutrition continues to rise (The I 13.1..15)

"HMRC staff braced for thousands of job cuts as 137 tax offices to close" (Guardian 12.11.15)

"Crisis in home care for the elderly sees thousands go hungry" (Daily Mail 7.10.15)

"Domestic violence refuge provision at crisis point warns charities" (Guardian 3.8.14)

"Closure of food testing laboratories "could put public safety at risk" (closure of 2 of England's 5 food, water and environmental laboratories) (The I 21.11.15)

"Legal Aid reform is blocked after solicitors' protest" (The I 21.11.15)

"Fit-to-work tests "causing suicides" (Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health) (The I 17.11.15)

"Savills warns of house-buying gap (around 350,000 new households will be unable to afford rent or buy within the next 5 years) The I 17.11.15)

Just a few of the examples of the real cost of these tax cuts.

vampirequeen Sun 22-Nov-15 07:15:59

The cuts haven't been worth it. People across society have lost out and seen no benefit for their loss.

whitewave Sun 22-Nov-15 08:36:01

Osborne's plan was never going to be a success. It only needs for about a 1/4 of the population to wake up and accept his incompetence - 3/4 already understand his failure and to a lesser or much greater degree are suffering from his policies.

soontobe Sun 22-Nov-15 08:41:26

Its the worse or worser scenario. Our choices are worse or worser.
[yes I know worser is not a word, but I dont like the proper expression]

whitewave Sun 22-Nov-15 09:07:45

Which two scenarios are you talking about soon?

whitewave Sun 22-Nov-15 09:21:46

Cameron is worried - see he wrote to his local council complaining about the cutsgrin You couldn't make it up could you?

whitewave Sun 22-Nov-15 09:23:09

Senior military chiefs have warned Osborne not to pursue planned cuts.

whitewave Sun 22-Nov-15 09:46:36

Police? Went down in last parliament by 81/2K. More police to be cut says Osborne.

whitewave Sun 22-Nov-15 09:54:12

Tax cut credits? Letters not to go out before Christmas. HoL block is being listened to - sounds as if cuts will stick but help with "transition" might be introduced. But still going ahead with tax credit cuts.

Woopee! On track he reckons to surplus - then what?

soontobe Sun 22-Nov-15 10:33:14

Austerity or Greece, whitewave.

durhamjen Sun 22-Nov-15 11:11:17

www.theguardian.com/environment/ng-interactive/2015/nov/20/our-melting-shifting-liquid-world-celebrities-read-poems-on-climate-change

Some nice poetry to read or listen to while you are feeling depressed.

Or PQE, soon. Think positive.

Have just been reading that Osborne is going to allow the councils to put up council tax by 2% hypothecated to pay for better social care.
However, the interesting thing is that he will be breaking his own law to do it. He brought in a law to say that councils could only do that if it went to a vote of local people.

This has of course been announced by media, despite everyone in government saying that nothing will be announced before next Wednesday. Holding parliament in contempt again.

durhamjen Sun 22-Nov-15 11:13:42

www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2015/11/22/music-for-the-economy-of-2015-breadline-britain/

Here's a good idea.

www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2015/11/22/labour-to-concentrate-on-tax-spends-heres-82-billion-to-look-at-for-starters/

durhamjen Sun 22-Nov-15 12:24:08

How about this for an answer, Eloethan?

www.welfareweekly.com/john-mcdonnell-unveils-labours-economic-policy-speech/

Osborne has taken some notice of it already if his new council tax policy is true. Pity he cannot do something similar with the NHS.

mollie Sun 22-Nov-15 12:44:28

I read a headline saying Osborne is considering more police cuts - in the current circumstance that seems a cut too far!

Anniebach Sun 22-Nov-15 12:51:04

soon, when you meet a homeless person do you say - could be worse , you could be living in Greece ?

durhamjen Sun 22-Nov-15 12:52:06

An interesting factcheck about police numbers here, mollie.

fullfact.org/factcheck/crime/police_numbers_1970s-47636

Cameron in the last PMQs said that community policing had risen, but he was talking about community police officers only, and did not say that the number of regular police officers had fallen dramatically.

Eloethan Sun 22-Nov-15 12:54:28

soon You say we needed austerity in order to avoid the fate of Greece. Greece has undergone the most draconian cuts and, if such measures are an effective way of dealing with debt, surely we should see the Greek economy improving, even if slowly?

In June 2013 the Mail Online headlined:

"We DID make Greece's debt crisis worse with cuts and tax hikes, IMF admits, as Greeks say they "can't forgive" officials for making recession worse".

"... the [IMF] report said the catalogue of errors - including harsh austerity measures - plunged Greece into deeper crisis..."

The IMF referred to the "dramatic contraction" in the Greek economy.

In June 2015 the Huffington post reported:

"As Greece heads towards another crisis, this is what the country has already been through:

"An economy shrunk by one quarter.

"Gross domestic product has dropped nearly 30%, according to the World Bank.

"The loss of 1 million jobs, primarily in construction, manufacturing and retail."

Doesn't sound to me like the Greek economy has benefited in any way from austerity.

Anniebach Sun 22-Nov-15 13:03:20

He didn't say community policing will be privatised, contract going to the Home Secretary's husbands company

Eloethan Sun 22-Nov-15 13:17:59

durhamjen Thanks for the link to John Mcdonnell's speech. What he said seems eminently sensible to me.

Anniebach Sun 22-Nov-15 13:31:14

Here we are suffering from the austerity plan yet the wealthy have become wealthier

soontobe Sun 22-Nov-15 16:54:04

No Ab I give them money.

Eloethan. Poor Greece got so downladen with debt, it might never get out.

soontobe Sun 22-Nov-15 16:57:28

Ab. I agree about the wealthy getting wealthier.
Around our way, houses in remote areas worth about £500k are either getting huge revamps[we are talking about £3 mill and upwards], or knocked down altogether and restarted, again money seemingly no object.

durhamjen Sun 22-Nov-15 17:02:38

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/nov/22/police-cuts-deal-made-despite-terror-threat-says-george-osborne

Osborne still wants to cut the police numbers.

Don't mind me asking, soon, but why did you give money to the wealthy?
That sounds quite silly to me.

Iam64 Mon 23-Nov-15 07:18:41

No, the cuts have not been worth it. I despair that we don't have an effective opposition to challenge Osborne and co. The government majority is small, the majority of people in the country either didn't vote, or didn't vote tory. When I listen to Question Time, Any Questions, radio phone ins etc, my impression is that people disapprove of the way our public services are being slashed and the impact its having on society.
I will try and find out how to do links (maybe I can ask durhamjen smile ) but yesterday's Observer's articles from Barbara Ellen, Andrew Rawnsley and the editor reflect my own despair about the Labour Party as an effective opposition or future government.

Tegan Mon 23-Nov-15 08:13:43

How can we possibly contemplate cutting back on police in the current climate? It makes no sense whatsoever.