Gransnet forums

News & politics

Can I believe the Chancellor?

(31 Posts)
Lilygran Thu 26-Nov-15 09:41:51

This morning, George Osborne was interviewed on BBC 4 Today and said when the Tories came back into power nine out of ten families were on means tested benefits. I'm gobsmacked by this statistic. I've heard it said before that nine out of ten were on benefits and DH and I had a wide-ranging discussion about what this might mean. If you count old-style child benefit and state pensions, that would cover a lot of people. But nine out of ten? Means tested?

Anniebach Thu 26-Nov-15 09:46:45

Just Gideon lying through his teeth yet again.

ninathenana Thu 26-Nov-15 09:49:15

I find that hard to believe too. I will have to go away and see just what benefits are means tested.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 26-Nov-15 09:58:14

He meant nine out of ten families who are on benefits, are means tested. Child allowance and pensions are not benefits because they are universal.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 26-Nov-15 09:59:01

Doesn't the character of posters come across well in their postings?

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 26-Nov-15 09:59:55

ab calling the Chancellor "Gideon" is spiteful, and smacks of desperation.

rosesarered Thu 26-Nov-15 10:14:24

It certainly does.

Anniebach Thu 26-Nov-15 10:24:05

Not at all Jingle, not at all , to be fair he has only done what many aspiring film stars do , oh and many a crooked business wheeler dealer does

Elegran Thu 26-Nov-15 10:27:59

I think about a quarter of the men in my family tree were known by their middle names, or ones they had chosen arbitrarily as better than the ones they were issued with at birth. I have not discovered any aspiring film stars , and if there were any crooked business wheeler dealers they managed to keep it quiet.

Ad hominem attack?

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 26-Nov-15 10:31:09

And my son ab. (uses his second name) smile

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 26-Nov-15 10:32:32

I'm glad he does actually. I think the second one is much better. confused

Gagagran Thu 26-Nov-15 10:34:40

My DH uses his second name too as does my elder brother and elder sister. I've never really understood how that first starts happening.

Anniebach Thu 26-Nov-15 10:36:09

Really Elegran? I think a lot of people choose to use their second Christian name, but we are speaking of changing one's name be deed poll , if he had chosen Oilver his second name he would have no need to change by deed poll would he ?

Anniebach Thu 26-Nov-15 10:37:03

Gideon Oliver Osbourne

Ana Thu 26-Nov-15 10:40:11

So as he went to the trouble (at 14) of changing his name by deed poll, wouldn't it be courteous to use that name instead of being childish and trying for a cheap laugh?

Elegran Thu 26-Nov-15 11:27:42

I don't blame him, at 14 or since, for preferring to be George rather than Gideon or Oliver. If your parents had chosen to name you as though you were a mediaeval monk or a Victorian banker, would you have used those names when you were old enough to make a decision?

If he changed his name by deed poll, then he is now known by the name he chose, and anyone persisting in calling him by his previous monicker is just being perverse - or perhaps thinks that sarcasm and personal ridicule for changing is a valid criticism of his politics.

Anniebach Thu 26-Nov-15 11:37:49

I think courtesy extended to all is an excellent idea

Elegran Thu 26-Nov-15 12:08:51

Indeed.

Anniebach Thu 26-Nov-15 12:12:20

We can but hope it will Elegran

Ana Thu 26-Nov-15 12:25:05

And shown by all as well, of course...

MamaCaz Thu 26-Nov-15 12:52:05

jinglbellsfrocks
"He meant nine out of ten families who are on benefits, are means tested. .."

Then why didn't he say that?
He and all the current government bigwigs always choose their words extremely carefully when doing public broadcasts, so I can't believe for one minute that this was a mistake on his part.

My conclusion: that he said it deliberately knowing that many (Daily Mail readers, for example ???) will take his claim at face value, thus guaranteeing him their continued support for any further cuts whatsoever to 'welfare' that he goes on to propose, but also knowing that he could simply claim to have worded it badly or been misunderstood when challenged by those who are not so gullible think a little more deeply about such claims.

MamaCaz Thu 26-Nov-15 12:58:33

For some reason, that last post was not my final version, and didn't show any of my formatting, so here's what I actually intended to post:

jinglbellsfrocks
"He meant nine out of ten families who are on benefits, are means tested. .."

Then why didn't he say that?
He and all the current government bigwigs always choose their words extremely carefully when doing public broadcasts, so I can't believe for one minute that this was a mistake on his part.

My conclusion: that he said it deliberately knowing that many (Daily Mail readers, for example ???) will take his claim at face value, thus guaranteeing him their continued support for any further cuts whatsoever to 'welfare' that he goes on to propose, but also knowing that he could simply claim to have worded it badly or been misunderstood when challenged by those who are not so gullible think a little more deeply about such claims.

(Don't Gransnet realize how much space would be saved on the site if they allowed us an 'edit' button like most other forums do! blush)

Anniebach Thu 26-Nov-15 13:01:11

Yes of course Anna , by all

Ana Thu 26-Nov-15 13:07:07

It's Ana, if you don't mind Anniebach smile

Anniebach Thu 26-Nov-15 13:10:17

I apologise Ana