Gransnet forums

News & politics

Free news?

(9 Posts)
LyndaW Fri 27-Nov-15 16:11:49

Seeing as everyone's moving towards doing all their news reading online, it's no surprise some papers are going out of business. This chap's come up with a good invention. I would pay small amounts for articles I actually wanted to read - rather than a big paper where half of it I wouldn't be interested in at all. Tbh I get quite a lot of my news updates via Gransnet - hope they don't start charging soon! smile

soontobe Fri 27-Nov-15 16:48:34

I like the choice of newspapers, but probably would still not choose to pay.
I have no idea how the refund part of it works.

Alea Fri 27-Nov-15 16:57:28

I don't believe you get anything for nothing. Our press in the UK is head and shoulders above other countries for quality and variety, from the FT through to the Sun (yes even the Sun for those who like that sort of paper) and if people are not prepared to pay for what they get, we could be reduced to no free press.
So many top writers and broadcasters cut their teeth on the best of the regional papers before heading for Fleet Street or the TV companies, what a great loss their erosion would be. I have a subscription which buys me a "paper" for a reduced price and 2 online editions so DH and I don't fight over who has which bit!

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 27-Nov-15 17:05:01

You can get the news free from the Telegraph. It is only articles that are rationed (so many free ones a month, then the curtain comes down)

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 27-Nov-15 17:06:04

And other newspapers of cours. Only The sodding Times has a full paywall.

Alea Fri 27-Nov-15 17:09:35

Given that journalists have to eat, why on earth shouldn't you pay for it???

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 27-Nov-15 17:13:23

They get paid by the newspapers, who make money from adverts and the like. Online newspapers must make money from it or they wouldn't publish online.

POGS Fri 27-Nov-15 21:23:09

I simply prefer to read from a newspaper and I am happy to pay .

durhamjen Sat 28-Nov-15 00:12:04

The i only costs 40p a day. Not a lot to pay for all the news you get. I read other things online.