Gransnet forums

News & politics

Cameron's Christmas message

(603 Posts)
ayse Thu 24-Dec-15 09:17:36

Having read the headline perhaps Cameron can reflect on Christian values of faith, hope and charity and look to his conscience for guidance concerning the more unfortunate people both at home and abroad! Where is kindness, support and understanding in government policy? Is it really Christian to see people in poverty, the NHS a shambles whilst our leaders are revelling in their million £ homes and tasting all the good things life has to offer. Perhaps he thinks that charity begins in his home and doesn't extend further than his circle mates.

Anyway, my Christmas message is to help and support all those who are less well off than ourselves in whatever small way we can. Happy Christmas all and please forgive the grouch. (I'm an aetheist (spelling has deserted me on this Christmas eve) - I must be getting older!)

Teetime Thu 24-Dec-15 09:57:56

I must admit to chocking on my breakfast muffin when I read Saint Cameron's message to us the great unwashed and I feel so much better for the uplift!wink.

Thank you for your Christmas message ayse I concur with your sentiments. tchsmile

Anniebach Thu 24-Dec-15 09:59:10

Cameron isn't a Christian , I think he chose a Christian message because the press has said the queen will put emphasise on the Christian faith in her speech this year, he got in first, expect he thinks all he has to do is turn up at church for a Christmas service and put a tenner on the plate

Luckygirl Thu 24-Dec-15 10:03:34

I have not had the pleasure of reading/hearing it and now that I know about it and its content will move heaven and earth to avoid it.

Do you remember Thatcher and her "Where there is discord...." speech?

Where is that finger-down-throat icon?

Luckygirl Thu 24-Dec-15 10:03:53

That was the nearest I could find!!

Anniebach Thu 24-Dec-15 10:09:23

Suppose it could have been even more sickening - he could have quoted The Beatitudes

durhamjen Thu 24-Dec-15 10:14:07

Happy Christmas everyone. I will avoid Cameron's speech, too.

Jayh Thu 24-Dec-15 10:19:47

Oh dear, Dave, you have put your foot in it again.
Our PM has a very unfortunate habit of making public statements which enrage and alienate people ( example, his promise of EVEL the day after the independence referendum).
I once read that a senior politician ( forget who) described him as naive.
I don't know anything about his religious belief but I do wish he was better advised about what to say to unite his country, if that is what he wants to do.

Maranta Thu 24-Dec-15 10:22:50

I despair about that man! Why can't we get rid of him?

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 24-Dec-15 10:31:08

It's better than Corbyn's. tchgrin At least it exists.

Luckygirl Thu 24-Dec-15 10:37:09

I can't see the need for any politician to make a Christmas speech. The world would be a better place without them.

Tegan Thu 24-Dec-15 10:39:56

But it shouldn't exist anyway; since when has the PM done a Christmas speech? Get the feeling sometimes that Osborne and his supporters are advising 'Dave' to do daft things wink. Corbyn is probably too busy working is a Christmas soup kitchen somewhere [said tongue in cheek but not beyond the realms of possibility...]

Anniebach Thu 24-Dec-15 10:44:55

Is hypocrisy better Jingle?

Ana Thu 24-Dec-15 10:48:18

Don't worry, we're going to get a New Year message from Corbyn instead.

Anniebach Thu 24-Dec-15 11:13:24

Cannot see any connection between Cameron's Christmas message and Corbyn or the new year - a distraction perhaps

thatbags Thu 24-Dec-15 11:14:37

I had a feeling Cameron wasn't a Christian (so thanks, anniebach, for confirmation (no pun intended)). I haven't listened to the message and probably won't but was he talking about cultural christianity when he said Britain in a christian country? Even Richard Dawkins says he is a cultural christian. We have culturally jewish friends who don't take any notice of ancient rules like not eating pork but who do acknowledge their jewish heritage.

Still, whatever his intended meaning, I don't think politicians should engage in partisan religious twaddle. It's not inclusive enough.

Ana Thu 24-Dec-15 11:19:56

I thought DC was a Christian. Why do you say he is not, Anniebach?

Anniebach Thu 24-Dec-15 11:22:17

He claims we have Christian values and urged us to reflect on them. Was it his foreign or Home Secretary who said bringing the refugees here from Calais would lower our standard of living . I don't recognise those Christian values

Ana Thu 24-Dec-15 11:24:41

What his ministers say is no indication of DC's own religious beliefs.

grumppa Thu 24-Dec-15 11:33:39

If Christmas messages were confined to the Head of State we would be spared egregious waffle from all party leaders.

Anniebach Thu 24-Dec-15 11:42:28

Cameron's silence following the statement tells us more than any words could

Ana Thu 24-Dec-15 11:52:15

So what you mean is that he's not the sort of Christian you think he should be. Doesn't mean he isn't one.

Anniebach Thu 24-Dec-15 12:06:56

Definition of Christian - follows the teaching of Christ

Example - I was hungry and you fed me. I was thirsty and you gave me a drink . I was a stranger and you took me in.

whitewave Thu 24-Dec-15 12:21:38

tchgrin idiot

whitewave Thu 24-Dec-15 12:22:32

DC I mean!