Gransnet forums

News & politics

I'll be shopping in the men's department from now on

(9 Posts)
TinyTwo Wed 20-Jan-16 09:57:41

Has anyone seen this in the news? No surprise really but apparently we women have been hard done by by supermarkets - pink Bic razors are more expensive than men's equivalent. Not that I'd go out of my way to buy pink but I'd certainly head to the women's razor department first and that would most likely be my choice. And women's plain cotton vests are significantly more expensive too. It's a man's world.

Jalima Wed 20-Jan-16 10:25:02

I thought you might have meant the better (and cheaper) choice in men's sweaters Tinytwo. My friend always buys men's sweaters for herself.

Interesting - even the girls' bike is more expensive than the boys' version!
Time for a rebellion? Demand equality in the shops?

mollie Wed 20-Jan-16 13:15:01

Being a bigger person (size 8 feet) I tend to opt for men's sox from M&S because they are better fitting and more comfortable. I'd do the same with Tshirts and sweaters but I'm just not the right shape. I've always bought men's disposable razors, it seems obvious to me the girly ones were just a marketing ploy and an expensive one at that. My bug-bear is the cost of cutting my very short hair at the hairdresser (£45) compared to the cost of his barber (£11) ... I've seen women queuing up there but have never had the nerve. Now I've found a lovely home hairdresser who only charges £20 and OH has muscled in and asked if he can be included when she comes next - I wonder how much he'll be charged?

LullyDully Wed 20-Jan-16 13:22:52

It used to really annoy me that John Lewis put Girls or Boys on the label of their children's clothes. My GD has red hair and is a bit of a tomboy so preferred the boys clothes. Had to wear them with Boys on the labels. Didn't worry her, but annoyed me. Blue suited her better

than that awful pink.

Where did this pink obsession come from???? Why does a pen or razor have to be pink if you are female.....and then to charge more is shocking to me.?

ninathenana Wed 20-Jan-16 13:34:57

I've always bought men's razors as I'd noticed the price difference but until I read the article I wasn't aware of the issue with bikes, scooters and other items. Petition called for ?

Realgranddad Tue 09-Feb-16 17:51:50

I wonder if males have a vest(ed) interest in the price setting?

My haircut costs £6 my wife £38, I was shocked at difference in price of Sweater in M&S ladies dept compared with similar in gents dept.

Greatest, difference in prices however were in footwear.

Going to see Suffragattes film tonight, perhaps might learn something about female campaigning, i admire what they achieved.

james

ninathenana Tue 09-Feb-16 18:22:24

I think for that price your wife has more than just a cut.smile
Mine costs £10

Jalima Tue 09-Feb-16 19:34:20

LullyDully thank goodness DGD at the age of 6 decided her favourite colour is blue.
However, younger sister still prefers pink!

Realgg my friend always buys her sweaters in the men's dept and I have found that they are better quality, a better length and price. I sent for two from a firm called Woolovers for DH, so far he hasn't worn the rather 'different' coloured one so I have my eye on it!
I saw that film last Friday; excellent, hope you enjoy it.

My cut and blow dry costs £35 (it went up from £30 just before Christmas hmm)

mollie my MIL had size 9 feet, it was a nightmare for her (and me!) trying to shop and find her comfortable shoes. Nowadays there seems more choice, they seem to have realised that many women have larger feet.

grannylyn65 Tue 09-Feb-16 21:19:31

ninagrin