Gransnet forums

News & politics

Too awful to contemplate?

(80 Posts)
Alea Thu 21-Jan-16 11:53:55

I am slightly surprised nobody has commented on the dreadful instance of child abuse widely reported yesterday and today, the death of little Poppi Worthington. Is it because it is too dreadful to contemplate and there is little to say that is not entirely damning?
Or am I alone in being unable to read beyond the headlines without total revulsion and sorrow?

Sillyoldfool Thu 21-Jan-16 12:02:33

I share your sentiments Alea, but there is little to add - the man is dead but I think death was too good for him.

Alea Thu 21-Jan-16 12:05:10

No he isn't dead! He's free and living at home. angry

Teetime Thu 21-Jan-16 12:26:58

Yes I saw his sister being interviewed last night - chilling and it happens over and over again.

annsixty Thu 21-Jan-16 12:31:15

Lord Janner I think is referred to in second post and I too can't read about the rape of a baby without a feeling of total bewilderment and horror.

POGS Thu 21-Jan-16 12:46:57

Alea I totally understand your point and it may well be the case this story is so horrible there was an uncomfortable feeling about starting a thread, now you have.

This case is vile and it appears to be the case there has been an abject failure on behalf of the authorities. What can be said ? Such a beautiful little child, it is almost too horrific to think about.

Nonnie Thu 21-Jan-16 13:28:50

But we have to assume he is innocent until proved guilty. If he is innocent he must be going through a really tough time. I am thinking about all the people who have been accused of sexual assault, brought to media attention and then no case to answer. Some of them have spent their life savings trying to prove their innocence.

Alea Thu 21-Jan-16 13:29:34

hmm it struck me glancing through the Active threads, that we seem readier to devote column inches to tea towels, cleaners' wages, where we met our partners, how often we change our sheets or socks (OK I made that one up) than to discuss a crime against a child who could be anybody's DGD.
I cannot begin to imagine how the man's sister, for instance can attempt to defend him or what his own mother, Poppi's grandma, is thinking.
What about the other children in the family, or the sister's children?

ninathenana Thu 21-Jan-16 13:45:43

It's possible that the whole topic is just to serious and horrific for people to want to discuss this.
In my view and it is purely my view, I find it hard to see what's to discuss confused I'm sure there is nobody who would not condemn his vile actions (if guilty) therefore it's not a subject that people can take sides about.
I probably haven't expressed this very well but you get the gist.

Anniebach Thu 21-Jan-16 13:46:23

Horrific. Whilst I think the man should not be found guilty without a trial there must be evidence that he is for it to be said he did sexually assault the little one ,he has other children , I don't know if he lives with them, is the child's mother still with him ?

Why did the bed sheets vanish, why did the police not question him immediately , it stinks

Only justice the child will get is an announcement that lessons will be learned , and that is not justice

Anniebach Thu 21-Jan-16 13:48:01

Nina, what can be discussed is yet again the police failed and no one has to answer for the failure

Riverwalk Thu 21-Jan-16 13:48:02

Yes, Alea to answer your OP, some things are too awful to contemplate and we choose to discuss cleaners and sheets.

A baby was sexually violated and died - what do you want anyone to say at this stage that would add to anything?

Alea Thu 21-Jan-16 14:02:45

Riverwalk I do not , as you put it, "want" anybody to say anything specific. Is there nothing however, you want to say?
Some are quick enough to criticise the procedures of the authorities in other instances. Do we really have no opinion on theCPS's claim there was insufficient evidence , on the fact that a pathologost's findings that Poppi had been abused were ignored, and that vital evidence which could have determined whether or not it was her father who assaulted her, was not retained ?
Fair enough, back to the socks, the fluffy kittens, the cleaners and a Dry January.
The things which clearly really matter.

LullyDully Thu 21-Jan-16 14:21:52

I amazed that all the evidence had been destroyed despite the obvious abuse of a tiny child. It made me sick to hear about the poor little girl who would now be about 4.
Shocking that after being treated wrongly she is denied justice by the authorities.

NanaandGrampy Thu 21-Jan-16 14:42:11

I am as horrified as anyone by this terrible, terrible crime ...but to play devil's advocate ...i believe i read yesterday that 3 experts testified that the injuries were caused in a manner other than that suggested . Now I might be wrong on that and I'm happy to stand corrected.

I know there is always the likelihood that you can find as many experts to testify he did do it. But I'm just saying , he is innocent until proven guilty and as we unaware of all the nuances of the crime other than what's been in the paper I think I would have to sit on the fence.

To do otherwise without access to all the evidence makes a mockery of what's left of our justice system as * Nonnie* said,' Innocent until proven guilty',

petra Thu 21-Jan-16 14:43:23

I can't put on here what would happen to him if I had concrete evidence that he is guilty. So once again because of our corrupt/incompetent police force another piece of s..t is walking the streets.

mumofmadboys Thu 21-Jan-16 15:06:07

I object to anyone calling a human being. 'another piece of s..t'.
If he sexually abused his own child( or any child) it is a horrendous crime but there are often awful family histories behind these very very damaged people.
May Poppy rest in peace.

petra Thu 21-Jan-16 15:12:49

Mumofmadboys. You can object all you like, that's what he is, if what we're told is the truth. I don't have a problem recognising that there are evil people in this world who shouldn't be here.

Coolgran65 Thu 21-Jan-16 15:27:00

My words to my dh...... if a person is found guilty of this crime..I would do murder and be willing to do my time.

Luckylegs9 Thu 21-Jan-16 16:00:26

If he has done that to an innocent child, he doesn't deserve to live. It is so so horrific to contemplate, mumofmadboys there is no excuse, whatever the circumstances, any person knows that what happened to that beautiful baby, endin her life end in such a terrible way, before it had started, is evil. If he did it, he is evil, not misunderstood. I hope if there is a heaven, Poppy is with the Angels, he deserves the other place. Hope he gets east he deserves, done how I think he will.

seacliff Thu 21-Jan-16 16:05:17

I didn't previoulsy comment because this upsets me so much, yet I feel powerless to do anything.

The trouble is, these awful (unthinkable) events have happened before, and always they say "lessons will be learned" and yet it happens again.

Just from reading the information published in the press, we will not have the full story, and can't decide who is to blame. The whole event was "hushed up" at the time by the authorities, and nearly all involved seem to have failed poor little Poppy - her family, police and social services.

Someone should be blamed for the way the investigation was carried out, enabling the father to get away with such a horrendous crime, (IF he did it) but I don't suppose anyone will be. The worst thing is that he is free to possibly do something similar again.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 21-Jan-16 16:15:37

There is nothing I want to say on it. And there is no point berating us about that. hmm

Start a thread to express your horror by all means. But not just to express your shock that no one else waned to go there.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 21-Jan-16 16:28:57

Why didn't you start a thread? The case has been in the news long enough. Why spect someone else to do it for you?

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 21-Jan-16 16:29:33

wanted

expect

Alea Thu 21-Jan-16 17:14:34

1) is that addressed to me Jingl?
2) I did start the thread
3) I only heard about it yesterday morning (not exactly "long enough" ) if that is the point you are trying to make.
Nobody's business but my own what I was doing yesterday , though.