Gransnet forums

News & politics

Snow in the US

(8 Posts)
Alea Sun 24-Jan-16 22:10:24

Anybody else believe as my late Mum used to, that we get whatever weather they have had a few days later?

whitewave Sun 24-Jan-16 22:12:19

I think it will be rain though and possibly more floods according to DS

tanith Sun 24-Jan-16 22:14:29

Well they have already said its coming our way but as wind and rain arriving on Tuesday. I don't believe it always happens like that it just depends on lots of variable including whether the jet stream moves about.

Luckygirl Sun 24-Jan-16 22:22:16

OH always says we get US weather a few days later too. He is known as Mr Gloom and Doom here grin

merlotgran Sun 24-Jan-16 22:29:10

When I was a child we used to be told that American weather would get to us in three weeks. My grandfather was on the North Atlantic convoys in WW2 and apparently my grandmother, when greeting him on his safe return, would say, 'Well, you could have brought some better weather with you.'

Weather seems to travel faster these days. grin

durhamjen Sun 24-Jan-16 22:40:57

My son's partner's parents always look at our weather forecasts because they know they will get it in Denmark a few hours later, or if not, the next day, depending on the winds.

whitewave Sun 24-Jan-16 22:56:20

DGS showed me a you tube thing today of people snowboarding behind a 4x4 around New York streets - I'd like to do that.

Nelliemoser Mon 25-Jan-16 22:54:50

Well it's often right,as most of our weather comes from the west as that's way the ocean currents and the winds blow.

We should be very grateful that we get the end of the Gulf stream ocean currents and the warmer winds that come with it. Without those relatively warm waters and winds, because of how far north Britain is it would be a much colder place to live.

Off to get my hot water bottle filled.