Gransnet forums

News & politics

The law of unintended consequences.

(13 Posts)
durhamjen Tue 26-Jan-16 17:38:27

I find this is happening quite often these days.

www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2016/01/26/arrested-humiliated-detained-how-britain-treats-foreign-stud

Someone getting caught up in a situation that was not supposed to happen.
There are so many anomalies in this story, it makes me wonder at the state of this country.

FarNorth Tue 26-Jan-16 18:05:11

That is appalling.

I don't see how a practice like that, by the Home Office, would prevent anyone from "going under the radar".
Once it becomes known that this is what happens, anyone who wants to do that will just do it straight away, without applying for leave to stay on.

JessM Tue 26-Jan-16 18:50:47

Ridiculous.

Not helpful for Uk science either (yes I know he isn't a scientist)

Due to the fact that there is no funding to do MScs these days, many postgrad courses are predominantly filled with students from overseas. if you swoop on them and throw them out the minute their courses end (and while they may be in the middle of job search) we risk creating a major shortage of young scientists to fill jobs.

durhamjen Tue 26-Jan-16 18:58:32

What was possibly worse was that he wasn't even told that his application had been rejected. The first he knew about it was when the police turned up and arrested him.

Will he want to live here in the future?
The only good thing I can see is that he will have empathy for asylum seekers.

thatbags Tue 26-Jan-16 19:27:15

There is another article (blog) about this case here, by Timo Uotinen.

durhamjen Tue 26-Jan-16 19:45:32

According to that article, he has rather a lot of friends, bags.

thatbags Tue 26-Jan-16 19:47:13

Yes, though I'd picked that up from the other article too.

durhamjen Tue 26-Jan-16 22:32:20

Yes, bags, but your article has a long list of very impressive names and qualifications attached, the sort that Theresa May ought to take notice of, I would have thought.

I bet she feels a bit of an idiot tonight. I wonder what she will do.

If she lets him stay, does that mean he will be given special treatment?
If so, what about the others in a similar situation?

It will be interesting.

durhamjen Fri 29-Jan-16 17:00:35

An update on this situation.

www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2016/01/26/arrested-humiliated-detained-how-britain-treats-foreign-stud

Update about halfway down.
The Home Office message is ridiculous. If I were a foreign student, no way would I want to come here.
I am pleased both my sons' partners came as students over twenty years ago, at a time when they were allowed, even encouraged, to stay.
The climate is completely different now.

thatbags Fri 29-Jan-16 17:33:10

Has this story appeared anywhere other than in the blogs linked to on this thread? If not, why not, I wonder?

thatbags Fri 29-Jan-16 17:34:31

Googled and I see that it has. I'm going to read some of them....

durhamjen Fri 29-Jan-16 18:37:06

Maybe it's just that nobody else is interested, bags.

durhamjen Fri 29-Jan-16 18:39:55

Actually, there is an update on the link that you put on it, with a lot of links to articles about it, as well as a link to the letter written about the precedent set here.