Gransnet forums

News & politics

Do you think he's 15.

(25 Posts)
petra Thu 28-Jan-16 17:19:46

I've just seen a picture of the '15' year old who is accused of murdering a support worker in a hostel for children in Sweden.
I have to say he looks older than 15.

Stansgran Thu 28-Jan-16 19:22:12

I am interested in other people's answers as I am convinced that the refugee in Burnley who carried the Olympic torch was at least seven years older than he claims. He is thankfully doing well here . The refugees know that they get priority as a lone child and know that they must lie about their age.

petra Thu 28-Jan-16 19:51:41

This picture is in the DM. He's 20 if he's a day.

Ana Thu 28-Jan-16 19:54:41

Can't find it.

petra Thu 28-Jan-16 20:01:05

Ana. Don't know what your looking at but it's the Leed story on my tablet.

Ana Thu 28-Jan-16 20:17:04

I've looked at all the DM reports about the case - can't see any photos of the accused.

petra Thu 28-Jan-16 20:36:03

Put Youssaf Khalif in your search engine. I did, and his picture came up.

Ana Thu 28-Jan-16 20:41:13

I have done (although google corrected the spelling to 'Youssef'), There seem to be many men with that name, so I'm none the wiser.

Can't you post a link?

Stansgran Thu 28-Jan-16 21:46:50

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3421150/First-picture-Six-foot-tall-15-year-old-Somali-boy-killer-Swedish-asylum-worker-appears-court-charged-murder.html

WilmaKnickersfit Thu 28-Jan-16 22:01:54

I don't think you can tell from that photo.

If there's any doubt about his age, x-rays can confirm it. Somalians are naturally tall, so his height is not a good measure of his age. The prosecutor has stated his identity has not yet been confirmed, so he has been charged as a 15 year old until his date or birth and name are confirmed.

In case people are not aware, the woman was stabbed as she tried to break up a fight between the accused and another resident.

nightowl Thu 28-Jan-16 22:09:52

There is no definitive way of determining age. At the moment, when a young asylum seeker comes to this country and gives their age as under 18, the assessment of age is carried out by a social worker. It is very difficult and far from an exact science. Compassion and decency demand that some (many?) are given the benefit of the doubt. There have inevitably been mistakes made and never discovered. I can't comment on this particular young man, or the Olympic torch bearer, but from my experience it would not be unusual for the age assessment to be incorrect.

WilmaKnickersfit Fri 29-Jan-16 17:06:48

I agree, but in these circumstance where perhaps it might make the difference between being tried as an adult or a child it sounds like the authorities are making investigations.

Ana Fri 29-Jan-16 17:09:39

Apparently a dental examination can be helpful when assessing the age of a young person.

Stansgran Fri 29-Jan-16 17:31:15

The French evidently do a bone density test.

crun Fri 29-Jan-16 18:00:42

I must have been well over 6 feet by the time I was 15.

Nelliemoser Fri 29-Jan-16 18:10:31

That picture from the DM is so bad its hard to make any real judgement.
Once you are looking at teenagers height is no indication of age.

My DD was getting asked for ID when buying alcohol when she was in her late 20s.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 29-Jan-16 18:11:50

No way does that face belong to a fifteen year old.

glassortwo Fri 29-Jan-16 20:42:12

I would say almost twice what he states.

petra Fri 29-Jan-16 21:39:42

Why is his head covered in the picture.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 29-Jan-16 21:48:17

Well, he is in Gothenburgh. Bloody chilly this time of the year.

gillybob Sat 30-Jan-16 00:22:31

Even giving him the benefit of the doubt (my DS could have grown a full beard at 15) I would say he is at least 25 !

I agree with jings his face is not the face of a 15 year old ! hmm

WilmaKnickersfit Sat 30-Jan-16 02:02:17

There's an established set of simple X-rays that give pretty accurate estimates of age. If there's a problem verifying his identity and therefore his age, no doubt the authorities will carry out tests.

nightowl Sat 30-Jan-16 07:16:56

I think Sweden has traditionally carried out less rigorous age assessments than some other countries in Europe, but perhaps this case will lead to changes. Medical (or dental) screening is treated with caution everywhere and case law has generally accepted that the margin of error is too high for it to be relied upon without other supporting evidence.

The following is taken from UK government guidance on screening unaccompanied asylum seeking children:

The Royal College of Paediatricians, in their guidance on age assessment, have said that in practice, age determination is extremely difficult to do with certainty because it is an inexact science where the margin of error can sometimes be as much as 5 years either side. ‘The health of refugee children: guidelines for paediatricians’, Royal College of Paediatrics, chapter 5.6, November 1999).

WilmaKnickersfit Sat 30-Jan-16 11:19:59

Frankly if someone has been granted asylum, then I would not subject them to tests as a matter of course.

If his age is in doubt and it can't verified through normal means, I think it is reasonable in this case for further tests because a serious crime has been committed. Any tests can only give an indication of his age and at this stage we don't know if his age will be relevant to any charges brought against him.

rubysong Sat 30-Jan-16 11:37:41

I heard on the radio that 'under age' asylum seekers/refugees in Sweden are entitled to enhanced benefits including the right to bring over the rest of their families and this is why so many '15 & 16 year olds' appear to be much older.