Gransnet forums

News & politics

Cologne Sex Assaults - Similar to what happens in Birmingham every week.

(38 Posts)
TerriBull Fri 29-Jan-16 20:19:53

I am just watching a pre-recording of last night's Question Time when one of the panel, Labour politician, Jess Phillips stated that something similar to the goings on in Cologne happens every week in Birmingham. Possibly that's true, I can't say I don't live there, but Jess Phillips sounded like a Brummie so I assume she would know. Given the magnitude of these attacks, I find it pretty alarming that this sort behaviour also plays out in Britain's 2nd city, or is Jess Phillips another MP trying to down play the gravity of what happened in Germany?

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 29-Jan-16 20:41:03

Sounds ridiculous to me. The Cologne attacks were on women out with their families, celebrating New Year. There might be some sex attacks outside bars and clubs and suchlike, in Birmingham, but hardly the same thing. Or on the same scale.

LullyDully Fri 29-Jan-16 21:02:45

Obviously not on the same scale but she was talking about a general disrespect for women on a drunken night out in Birmingham.

None of which is acceptable.

Anya Fri 29-Jan-16 21:21:37

Total rubbish.

Alea Fri 29-Jan-16 21:23:16

Alarmist? Scaremongering? What on earth is her point?
Not going to do much to stimulate the economy in Birmngham if women are afraid to go out at night. Also very damning of the racial integration which does exist, despite the attacks made a while back by a poster whom I haven't seen again since. Hidge or something like that?

Anya Fri 29-Jan-16 21:23:39

I watched our local news where this was discussed with a senior police officer in Birmingham. He gave statistics to prove this woman hadn't a clue what she was talking about.

petra Fri 29-Jan-16 21:38:10

Let's fly her off to Cologne when they have their next festival ( on her own of course) and see how she gets on.

TerriBull Fri 29-Jan-16 21:40:29

Denial? There is a growing exasperation with politicians who will not acknowledge a problem where there is one because it's an inconvenient truth.

chelseababy Fri 29-Jan-16 22:18:15

They're talking about this now on 5live.

Jalima Fri 29-Jan-16 23:40:33

www.thechamberlainfiles.com/mps-cologne-sex-attacks-like-saturday-night-on-broad-street-claim-is-dangerous-nonsense/

She sounds ill-informed and stupid - does a proud city like Birmingham really deserve this type of politician?

Iam64 Fri 29-Jan-16 23:48:54

I was outraged when I read Jess Phillips had compared the attacks in Cologne with the way women are heckled etc in Birmingham. I just watched question time and what she did was to say we shouldn't be complacent about the way women are treated here, two a week murdered by partners. I wish she'd been more condemnatary of events in Cologne but she made a valid point. She's a bright young female mp, we need more like her

gillybob Sat 30-Jan-16 00:13:23

I agree with petra let's try her out (alone) in Cologne. She is talking absolute sh*t !

...and no. Jalima they do not !

Typical Politically correct clap trap.

Elrel Sat 30-Jan-16 00:32:08

Broad Street in Birmingham is lined with pubs and clubs. On Friday and Saturday nights it is closed to traffic and is solid with young people on a night out. Inevitably there is unacceptable behaviour both in and out of the clubs not all of which is reported to the police.
Jess Phillips has worked in victim counselling in Birmingham so may well know what she is talking about.

WilmaKnickersfit Sat 30-Jan-16 01:35:26

I haven't watched QT yet, but she's wrong to connect whatever happens on Broad Street or in that area with the Cologne attacks. Women may well find themselves in trouble in any town or city in an area like Broad Street, but it's not like to be race related. It's much more likely to be alcohol related. If it was race related, women would avoid the area and they don't in Birmingham.

WilmaKnickersfit Sat 30-Jan-16 07:43:06

I have heard what she said now and it's being discussed on R4 at the moment. I now understand what she is saying and I agree with her to an extent, but I am not sure how change can be achieved.

Her comments were not really about Birmingham. She was making the point that here in the UK men are often disrespectful towards women and we should not look at what happened in Cologne and think we're in a superior place and rest on our laurels. Her comments are not race related, but relating to our culture.

There's an article on the R4 show in a little while wherethey went out last night on Broad Street.

Iam64 Sat 30-Jan-16 08:47:06

Thanks Wilma, I feel reassured I haven't lost my moral compass/common sense. I don't like the way many people claim to have had their comments taken out of context but that might apply here. I've already said it would have helped if she'd been more critical of events in Cologne but she's right to remind us that women here face all kinds of unpleasant sexual harassment and 2 are killed by partners every week.

TerriBull Sat 30-Jan-16 09:24:42

In the Daily Telegraph today, Jean Claude Junker states that the Cologne attacks were merely a matter of "public disorder" and are not related to migration in any way. In the aftermath, after the initial cover up, it was found that a fair percentage of the perpetrators, if not most of them were migrants. I am not opposed to giving refuge to Syrians who need a safe haven, and I imagine many were horrified by being besmirched by a few. What pisses me off is politicians who continually seek to whitewash "bad happenings" because it doesn't fit with their agenda. How are we expected to make an informed choice about the EU in the forthcoming referendum when this sort of shit is being shovelled and the truth cannot be discussed. confused

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 30-Jan-16 09:34:37

Perhaps they should stop closing Broad Street (in Birmingham) to traffic at the weekends. Maybe they are encouraging over-exuberance/binge drinking. But I suppose they are thinking of the local economy. Can't have it always though.

gillybob Sat 30-Jan-16 09:41:03

I wonder how they would describe attacks if it was the other way around? Young white men, sexually assaulting Muslim women?

petra Sat 30-Jan-16 09:42:06

How could she acknowledge what happened in Cologne. That wouldn't back up the leftist view of come one, come all.
She's of the same ilke that run Rochdale council. At least Trevor Phillips spoke out last week and uttered the unthinkable ' Muslims don't integrate'

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 30-Jan-16 09:42:33

(in my previous post I should have said 'all ways. not always'. soz

Nonnie Sat 30-Jan-16 10:31:47

I think taxis are still allowed to run in Broad St on Fridays and Saturdays.

Like many other cities Birmingham has a club area where young people go out and party. Some of them drink too much and behave badly however the girls interviewed on the Midland news seemed to think it was confined to talk. I think they are far more likely to suffer from hypothermia than any kind of assault.

At the end of the same road is the International Conference Centre and Symphony Hall, the best concert venue in at least Europe. Also the award winning new library is there.

I suspect this rather silly woman got carried away with her own importance because she is a fairly new MP and thought her moment had come. She is madly backtracking now but has upset the Brummies and they may well remember when it is time for re-election.

Many years ago I lived in Brum and still have a fondness for it and often visit. I am very unhappy about this stupid, attention seeking woman, has defamed it. She is involved in 'women's issues' and seems to be one of those who goes way over the top and blames men for all the ills of the world.

KatyK Sat 30-Jan-16 10:42:15

Well I live in Birmingham and I was so angry when I heard what this silly woman said. It was very ignorant. I wonder how many times she goes into Birmingham city centre at night? Rarely I would guess. DH and I are in our 60s and regularly go into Brum at night to shows etc. Some of the venues we go to are along the Broad Street area to which she referred. Yes, it is full of young people going from bar to bar. In all the years we have been going we have never seen one incident of violence or anything like that. In fact, to be honest, we have never seen any rowdy behaviour of any sort, the young people seem very good natured. Broad Street is well policed at night and the city is trying to encourage visitors and doesn't need this. I'm sure it would be widely reported in the media if this sort of thing was occurring in any of our city centres. I'm not saying there are never any incidents, but there are in most cities I'm sure. Birmingham is a lovely city now and it would be a shame if these stupid comments put people off visiting.

Anya Sat 30-Jan-16 10:47:52

Exactly KatyK

trisher Sat 30-Jan-16 10:51:08

The point she was making that the Cologne attacks were widely reported (possibly only because of the scare-mongering anti-immigrant attitude of the press) whereas every day there are assaults, not just in Birmingham but all over the place, that have no news value whatsoever is very valid. Her reply wasn't well phrased and may have been misconstrued by many, but the message that women are often subjected to such treatment is correct. It isn't anti-men to condemn men who are violent or abusive, nor is it blaming them for all the ills of the world, simply saying that there are some men who sometimes behave in an unacceptable manner. No doubt there are women who do the same.