Gransnet forums

News & politics

Voice for Older People in England

(25 Posts)
Granddaughter Fri 12-Feb-16 08:20:19

It seems incredible that only England pensioners have no official Older People's Commissioner or Minister for older people. That pensioners do not have the same level of protection in Law as NI, Scotland and Wales. Cameron promised to improve consultation, instead has backtracked.

Sarah Rochira, Older People’s Commissioner for Wales, has added her voice to the growing calls for something to be done to tackle the huge problem of loneliness in the UK. Social isolation and loneliness.

Why is England out of synch in providing a strong voice for older people, nearly all the key OP charities have raised their concerns?

obieone Fri 12-Feb-16 08:59:10

England is afraid to stand up for England. We have forgotten how to do it. It scares people witless.

NanaandGrampy Fri 12-Feb-16 09:02:48

I totally agree obie

We'll bow the knee to anyone for fear of offending any race, creed, colour or religion.

Maggiemaybe Fri 12-Feb-16 09:32:18

And it's probably why I don't get my free bus pass till I'm 66, whereas if I lived in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland I'd have had it since I was 60 angry

Not just me, of course - other people are affected too smile

Anniebach Fri 12-Feb-16 09:38:59

You have the EDL , they certaintly don't bow to all colours and creeds

Anniebach Fri 12-Feb-16 09:41:10

Don't think you get it, Wales has a an older persons commissioner who supports the elderly in Wales, not the Welsh elderly - big difference

kittylester Fri 12-Feb-16 09:47:41

I think we used to have Joan Bakewell didn't we.

Maggiemaybe Fri 12-Feb-16 09:57:44

We did, kittylester. Appointed in 2008. Does she still do it?

What doesn't who get, Anniebach? The OP talks of pensioners in England, not English pensioners confused

Anniebach Fri 12-Feb-16 10:33:34

Maggie, there is post which speaks of fear bowing to race and creed, race and creed has nothing to do with care for the elderly who do come in all colours and creeds

margrete Fri 12-Feb-16 10:44:07

This man speaks total sense: www.tristramhunt.com/england

obieone Fri 12-Feb-16 10:44:42

Just because some elderly in England are all colours and creeds, doesnt make Maggie's, or the op's, or my post, or Nana's last sentence wrong.

Nonnie Fri 12-Feb-16 11:19:09

Don't we now have the woman who used to run Sage? Her name escapes me for the moment.

Nonnie Fri 12-Feb-16 11:20:03

Ros Altman. Funny how it comes straight to mind as soon as I have posted!

Granddaughter Fri 12-Feb-16 12:10:31

Ros Altman is at DWP, she has taken over from Steve Webb the pension Minister. She is overseeing the changes to age related pensions which deprive many females of a decent income. I believe when she was at Saga she campaigned against the changes, however now she has been elevated to the Lords and joined the Government she has changed her spots.

rosesarered Fri 12-Feb-16 12:11:56

Busy for rest of today but will def take at look at this thanks thatbags you do find all sorts of things!smile

rosesarered Fri 12-Feb-16 12:12:59

Posted on wrong thread! meant to be the Bernie Sandwiches one.

Nonnie Fri 12-Feb-16 12:30:48

Thanks Granddaughter I was sure she had something to do with older people.

In her defence when we had our one and only Saga holiday, which was a disaster, I emailed her on behalf of several people who went on that holiday because we were all being fobbed off and she sorted it out and we got sensible compensation.

Maggiemaybe Fri 12-Feb-16 15:47:57

Yes, and I know that she fought against a lot of pensions injustice in the past.

But now that she has been elevated to the Lords, things are different. In the past, when with Saga, she made it clear that she firmly opposed the timetable for state pension age equalisation that left so many women in poverty - www.rosaltmann.com/womens_SPA.htm.

She now denies ever having supported the aims of the WASPI campaign (Women Against State Pension Inequality).

Maggiemaybe Fri 12-Feb-16 15:51:23

In an interview for The Telegraph, 12 February 2016, she said:

"Why do they think they are a special case? I’ve never supported the aims of this campaign ever."

Cheers, Baroness.

Maggiemaybe Fri 12-Feb-16 16:05:56

Sorry, that should have read 6 February, not 12.

Granddaughter Fri 12-Feb-16 17:51:46

Having today read the various support on NI & Welsh OP Commisioners websites, English pensioners are the poor relations with this Government.

Interesting also the difference in the higher level of support for Pensioners in Scotland.

Jalima Fri 12-Feb-16 17:56:54

It is rather odd, really, because England has a Children's Commissioner as has Wales, Scotland and NI.
Older people must be the poor relations.

Granddaughter Fri 12-Feb-16 22:18:30

England is the poor relation. I was surprised in tonight headlines and I am worried about the way we are treating the poor.

The number of tenants evicted from their homes by bailiffs reached a record high in 2015, according to official figures for England and Wales that show 42,728 households in rented accommodation were forcibly removed.

obieone Sat 13-Feb-16 08:29:30

Does anyone living in the UK have a problem with England standing up for pensioners living in England I wonder.

Granddaughter Sat 13-Feb-16 09:20:01

obieone, not quite sure what you mean , it seems that the Government do not want English pensioners to have the same equity, consumer protection and strong independent voice as the rest of the UK. Why is that, is it the Government is getting tied up in dogma, or just not really prepared to listen to pensioners in England Government advisor they are appointing who have liitle experience of age issues or living on a low income its frightening.

Latest advisors coming from the likes of Google and Amazon and two who are CEO on salaries in excess of £180,000, advising DWP. Are these jobs for close allieds?