Gransnet forums

News & politics

Tax Havens

(834 Posts)
whitewave Tue 05-Apr-16 08:38:06

We can't possibly let this slip by!

Tory on Radio 4 this morning arguing that we can't tackle the "treasure islands" that we have sovereignty over as it will lose people jobs!
I was astounded. So it is fine for the Steel workers to face penury but not those who help the wealthy to hide their money.

DC implicated - won't be long before GO is mentioned.

Jane10 Tue 05-Apr-16 08:51:54

It really is disgraceful. Well done the person who leaked this information. I hope they don't suffer for it. It will be interesting to see what happens next!

Anniebach Tue 05-Apr-16 08:54:41

Dave when ever he has spoken of ending this tax dodging we must ve transparency ' when asked if the Cammerons still have money stashed away the official line is ' this is private'

the way Dave attacked that comedian Carr for avoiding tax , yet remained silent when that pop singer who supports the Tory party did the same.

even the editor of the Mail said last night - it may be legal but it's immoral .

Why have the those from the Lords not been named

whitewave Tue 05-Apr-16 08:55:24

Nothing. There will be a lot of hot air and con flab and bugger all will be done because that is how it works. The rich get richer, they hold the power, they tell us how the country is to be run they pay nothing towards it or very little and we totter on believing in democracy and the rule of law. Who are the idiots?

f77ms Tue 05-Apr-16 09:00:53

Whitewave , I wish there was a LIKE button for your post , it`s spot on x

obieone Tue 05-Apr-16 09:07:00

Did Labour tackle tax havens?

Just wondering if this is a Tory issue or an all political parties issue.

whitewave Tue 05-Apr-16 09:16:12

Oh obiene this has come about as a result of someone releasing information concerning the wealthy and hidden wealth. This is not come about because one party has failed to tackle the issue of tax avoidance - they all do that. But see my post 8.55 there is nothing to be done about it, the rich and powerful will ensure that.

However, it is good to shine a light on these dirty places at times to remind us all as to who actually supports the UK by paying all the tax etc. due - clearly not the wealthy, but the likes of you and me who has paid every single penny due and proud to do so having a far superior moral compass smile

Anniebach Tue 05-Apr-16 09:37:28

No one political party can be blamed, it has only now been leaked, named so far is Cameron senior, Michael Mates, Lord Ashcroft , two unnamed retired Tory MP's and six members of the House of Lords .

What is disgusting is Damien Green saying the jobs of those in the tax havens must be considered yet sod the steel workers , as posted by whitewave .

whitewave Tue 05-Apr-16 09:51:07

Naming and shaming

Tony Buckingham -Heritage Oil registered in a tax haven. - Tory donor

Michael Mates - MP Tory. - little income he says from off shore holding.

Anthony Bamford - JCB - one of the Tories biggest donors. He closed down an off shore company just before he was made a peer. (What is that smell?)

Howard Flight - Tory peer - off shore company

David Rowland - Tory donor - off shore companies

Sir Tony Baldry - Tory MP -stood down - off shore

Sir Edward du Cann - Tory MP - BVI registered company

Lord Astor of Hever - former defence secretary - appears in files relating to a Panamanian company

Juniper Equities Trading BVI - now registered in Switzerland - large donations to Tory party. Several connected business men put up for peerage. Gave the Tory party a massive loan.

Lord Bilimore - BVI - cross bench - BVI registered company.

Arron Banks - UKIP donor - BVI registered company.

Blairmore - Cameron implicated in this off shore registered company. An ex HMRC employee maintains that the activities carried out by this company were carried out in the UK and not as the company maintained in t he Bahamas.

This does appear at the moment a tad biased I admit. Once I get other names I will list them.

Teetime Tue 05-Apr-16 09:53:34

Well donewhitewave I'm with you but I would say I don't think any of this is a big surprise.

whitewave Tue 05-Apr-16 09:57:47

No tee but the difference is that there is now evidence rather than speculation. Let's hope HMRC show some guts, But will most likely find the Treasury sitting on their coat tails.

Penstemmon Tue 05-Apr-16 10:00:43

It is "official" theft really. I am not confident that it will change in the long run. It does seem that the more money you have the greedier you become.
It should be a cross party issue.. whilst most wealthy people are more likely to be Tory there will be some greedy bastards from across the political spectrum. angry

whitewave Tue 05-Apr-16 10:07:56

Bound to be penn just like the expenses scandal, but this won't be tackled. Bet my new frock on it. Well there might be some scapegoat hounded but the rest will sit quietly by.

Anniebach Tue 05-Apr-16 10:09:05

Samantha Camerons step father is a Lord Astor

whitewave Tue 05-Apr-16 10:11:11

I think that there ought to be a system whereby only those individuals who fully support the UK by paying all the tax due and transparently so should be allowed to stand for parliament. Democracy in action.

Anniebach Tue 05-Apr-16 10:11:21

Next month the UK is to hold an international anti corruption summit

whitewave Tue 05-Apr-16 10:16:21

grin whose running it? Where is it being held? I would opt for BVI!

Anniebach Tue 05-Apr-16 10:24:18

Forgot to ask where it's being held whitewave, was told it was being held in this country next month . This will be interesting grin

Lord Astor said Nicola Sturgen was no different to Magabue - can't spell his name !

Eloethan Tue 05-Apr-16 10:28:16

On the Wright Stuff this morning they were reporting that there are mass demonstrations in Iceland after revelations regarding their Prime Minister's dodgy behaviour. As they said on the programme, in this country people tend to shrug and let these matters pass.

I agree with you whitewave. How can people stand for parliament when they or their families are engaging in the very practices that they publicly decry.

whitewave Tue 05-Apr-16 10:35:12

It just doesn't stop at things like the NHS or other services that the less well off use but our tax goes towards the military and defence, supporting the establishment etc. In fact running the country the avoiders maintain they hold so dear. So who can claim patriotism? Not the dodgy avoiders, but the ordinary Brit.

obieone Tue 05-Apr-16 10:41:56

Tax avoidance by the rich[of all persusions] has become a national scandal. I like the post of 10.11 am whitewave.

Anniebach Tue 05-Apr-16 10:43:35

Seems we could stop this in British territories very quickly - if we wanted too

durhamjen Tue 05-Apr-16 11:24:26

www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2016/04/05/we-can-change-the-law-in-the-uks-tax-havens-and-impose-direct-rule-if-they-dont-like-it/

Just what you said, Anniebach.

durhamjen Tue 05-Apr-16 11:25:59

voxpoliticalonline.com/2016/04/05/no-david-cameron-your-familys-tax-affairs-are-not-a-private-matter/

durhamjen Tue 05-Apr-16 11:30:06

Voxpolitical asks why there are no people asking for Cameron's resignation.

There was an epetition, which reached nearly 200,000, but the committee decided not to debate it as it was not in its remit.

On 16th April there is a demo by the People's Assembly in London.
I imagine after this there will be a huge increase in numbers attending, with lots of banners about taxes.

www.thepeoplesassembly.org.uk/hhje