Gransnet forums

News & politics

Each persons income and tax in the public domain?

(147 Posts)
Gracesgran Thu 07-Apr-16 07:57:38

This is what happens in Norway and they have the smallest income gap between the sexes and a much smaller gap between the highest and the lowest paid.

Could we ever persuade citizens of the UK to do the same?

whitewave Thu 07-Apr-16 08:10:05

What I do know is that if there was less individual greed and more community spirit then the tax which must amount to billions not paid in a fair way would ensure greater freedom and wealth to the country as a whole. Greater revenue to our coffers would mean less tax for each person thereby allowing greater spending power for each individual to spend on all our businesses in the UK thus ensuring economic growth, no deficit etc.

Each person would pay their tax more willingly knowing that firstly everyone else was and secondly society would look very sternly on those individuals who think so poorly of the U.K that they do not want to assist in its welfare.

Jane10 Thu 07-Apr-16 09:20:40

Ah communism. That worked well. grin

Anniebach Thu 07-Apr-16 09:24:57

Greed for self works best for some but not for us all

whitewave Thu 07-Apr-16 09:27:57

so jane are you saying that individuals should not pay a fair share of tax?

And do you not agree that if this was the case everyone would feel more comfortable about their stake in the UK?

Welshwife Thu 07-Apr-16 10:26:06

I agree that we should all pay the tax on our income etc. My father never moaned about paying tax and always said we should pay our share - he never even complained about paying Schedule A tax - you had to pay extra tax if you were an owner/ occupier rather than a tennent.
Paying your correct level of tax is not the same as communism.

whitewave Thu 07-Apr-16 10:31:10

Of course it isn't welshwife we have learned that this is a tactic employed by those who disagree with being morally fair to all members of the U.K.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 07-Apr-16 10:33:02

In answer to the question in the thread title - bog orf!!!

whitewave Thu 07-Apr-16 10:38:10

Too late jing the state already knows or should know your income. And quite honestly who cares what any particular person earns, the point is that they contribute fairly to the UK society. Perhaps we should see tax paid as a % of income, rather than actual figures. In my case it would be 20% after my personal allowance. So that shows I pay my fair share right? But if someone is only paying 10% than questions should be correctly asked.

whitewave Thu 07-Apr-16 10:39:34

I know this is tremendously simplified but you get my point hopefully?

Nonnie Thu 07-Apr-16 11:09:56

I cannot see where Jane said anything to imply " that individuals should not pay a fair share of tax". How did you work that out White.

No, I don't want all my friends and neighbours to know what I earn. It would affect how people think about me especially now I am retired. My savings interest would be shown as income and my shares too (yes I know on other threads the fact that I have shares makes me a very bad person). Why should the fact that I have been thrifty all my life and saved and invested be public information?

whitewave Thu 07-Apr-16 11:19:38

No I didn't imply that I was simply trying to establish the principle that everyone pays their fair share of tax.

jane suggested that what I was suggesting was a form of communism which is plain daft.

So if we concede that your actual income is kept private what about the tax you pay as a % of your income?

obieone Thu 07-Apr-16 11:27:26

It would and must crush smaller businesses in Norway.
Those that are struggling would go under.

Elegran Thu 07-Apr-16 11:29:23

Some people do manage to extract peculiar conclusions from a short post. Where did Jane say that people should not pay a fair tax?

Of course everything would be perfect if everyone paid a fair amount of tax. That goes without saying, like saying that everyone should put all their recycling into the right bin, refrain from snogging the au pair and be nice to their neighbours. No need to make a solemn policy statement of it.

The OP suggested that all income and the tax paid on it should be in the public domain - that is we should all be able to see it, not just the taxman. It could be a great leveller, but somehow I don't see it happening. Too much chance for comparison and envy.

And how would we know that someone is only paying 10% of their income unless we knew exactly what that income was and what proportion of it they paid different rates on? Questions shoukld be asked by the taxman if that is the case, but no-one else can ask the question.

whitewave Thu 07-Apr-16 11:54:26

OK let me retract the statement and approach it in a different way.

Why does my post talking about paying a fair amount of tax implicate that I want a communist state?

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 07-Apr-16 12:14:26

Yeah, but it's not in the "public domain" is it? (that to whitewave)

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 07-Apr-16 12:17:16

I thought tax is paid on percentages. confused And the 10 percenters are the very poorly paid?

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 07-Apr-16 12:20:06

Surely, the gov are tightening up on the just legal tax loopholes. If not, well, that's their fault. Human nature is human nature.

Anya Thu 07-Apr-16 12:28:01

I think Gorden Brown (Labour) took away the 10% tax band....hmm

whitewave Thu 07-Apr-16 12:33:32

jing well would it matter if we only dealt in percentages. The fact that my neighbour knows that I pay 20% on all income earned, and that income is declared in full, doesn't tell them anything other than you are an upstanding UK citizen.

Tax is paid in % the lowest is 20% which we pay up to the higher income threshold then at 40% until you earn 150k pa then 45%.

So my argument is that if the tax you pay only represents 10% of your income and in some cases a lot less then this is totally unfair to those of us who pay everything that is due.

And no the government has talked a lot about tax avoidance but as yet I am unaware of any tax law being adjusted to capture more tax through aggressive tax avoidance

Nonnie Thu 07-Apr-16 12:45:30

Not quite factual white "The fact that my neighbour knows that I pay 20% on all income earned" you pay 20% of taxable income after the tax free allowance

whitewave Thu 07-Apr-16 12:49:04

Well ....... yes ? I sort of thought that was a given?

Nonnie Thu 07-Apr-16 12:53:31

But you said all income earned so I took what you said as what you believed. I am afraid I am not one of those who goes round 'interpreting' what others write as they are so often very wrong.

whitewave Thu 07-Apr-16 13:00:02

Oh sorry to have misled you

Gracesgran Thu 07-Apr-16 17:31:01

Mmm - not many direct answers. I wouldn't mind if it meant everyone's income and tax was available for scrutiny.

As for percentages it has certainly been shown in the past that those who have enough income to manipulate have ended up paying a lower percentage in tax than, say, their cleaner.