Gransnet forums

News & politics

Senedd/Assembly Election

(8 Posts)
JessM Wed 13-Apr-16 00:31:06

Only a few weeks left now before the Welsh vote. Labour and the Tories battle it out in most of the country while in the North it's a duel between Labour and Plaid. UKIP are likely to take votes from Labour and Tory.
Wales has been protected from some of the excesses of Tory policy - selling off the NHS and introducing academies and free schools for instance. But not of course insulated from budget cuts. How will it go? Who will you vote for and why? What do you think about the party leaders?

Anniebach Wed 13-Apr-16 10:04:26

Jess, I will vote labour. Not enough is reported on the successes of a labour run senedd.

The leaders ? Know little of the Tory leader

Kirsty Williams Lib Dems, I had an apology from her yesterday, 2010 she canvassed ton in the general election on vote Libs to keep Tories out and we ended up with the love-in between Nick and Dave in the rose garden . I asked her if UKIP did well would she and her party support them to get into,power, she said no I said I think she would.

I like the young woman leading the greens but not to form a Welsh government

Nathan Gill UKIP thinks Neil Hamilton and Mark Reckless are excellent politicians , seems no one told him English voters kicked them out. He also supports his candidate who said people from Poland were the cause of the increase of rubbish in Cardiff , seems he doesn't know collections of rubbish has been cut back.
I do fear they may take some seats .

Leanne Wood, Plaid made a big mistake electing her as leader , too weak

Caerwen Jones labour , he is working so hard for Port Talbot through the steel crisis , he cares for Wales

What say you? We have Hamilton in our constituency, if he was to win I will move back to Aberfan

JessM Thu 14-Apr-16 13:05:49

We have Gill living up the road. Sigh. Words fail me. His Wiki entry says some of it:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathan_Gill
There's also: www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/ukips-mep-wales-nathan-gill-7990085
and a recent interview that reveals him as a climate change denier.
Leanne - I agree she is not convincing as a potential first minister. Suspect they will oust her after the elections if there is not an improvement in Plaid vote and replace with the slicker media man Rhun ap Iorwerth
Carwen is a good guy, very clever. Some don't like him possibly because he is quite intellectual and straightforward rather than warm and cuddly in the way he comes across. But his heart is in the right place.

Anniebach Thu 14-Apr-16 14:12:24

Poor you Jess, I have the lib leader just up the road from me , suppose that is easier to accept , don't trust her. She told me this seat will be a straight fight between Libs and Tories, I reminded her she canvassed in 2010 to vote lib to keep the tories out and her leader ended up in the rose garden love in .

I agree Leanne will go , Plaid has lost voters since she became leader , I don't want Plaid wiped out.

Caerwen is a good man, quite daunting taking over from Rhodrie but he had been successful , I hope he remains in control of the Senedd ,

JessM Fri 15-Apr-16 13:40:18

Don't see any signs of Plaid being wiped in the north. However there seems to be little more that Plaid can reasonably seek to achieve. Unless any of them think Wales could go it alone as one of the poorer countries within the EU confused

Anniebach Fri 15-Apr-16 13:50:49

Glad Plaid is holding on in the north Jess, I agree there is little more for them to achieve , they haven't done the home rule for Wales. Imagine how much poverty we would have if this was to come about. We are in danger from UKIP in some of the valleys . No idea where Mid Wales will swing, hits that UKIP has a chance but why would farmers want out Europe ?

Lazigirl Fri 15-Apr-16 14:07:41

I had a letter from Welsh LP this am asking me to contribute funds to Assembly Election. Isn't it a waste of money mailing Shropshire people?

JessM Sat 16-Apr-16 00:49:21

Interesting Lazigirl but maybe those living next to the border might benefit from their proximity. Increasingly there are 2 different variations on the theme of NHS and education. People on both sides of the borders will benefit from choice (as long Labour retains control in Wales).
Or it could just be that postcodes don't reflect constituency boundaries?