Gransnet forums

News & politics

Girls on top?

(13 Posts)
Alea Sun 08-May-16 13:00:16

Has anybody else noticed how women are dominating so many political leaderships?
In Wales, Leanne David (Plaid Cymru)
In England and Wales Natalie Bennett (Green party)
In Scotland all THREE major parties, Nicola Sturgeon (SNP) Ruth Davidson (Conservatives) and Kezie Dugdale (Labour)
Not to mention Hillary Clinton, who I hope will thrash Trump in the US Presidential election and of course Angela Merkel in Germany.
Weaker sex, my ar*e foot!

Alea Sun 08-May-16 13:01:58

KeziA - my apologies to her.

petra Sun 08-May-16 13:19:09

John Snow upset Ruth Davidson when he brought this subject up.

Alea Sun 08-May-16 14:07:07

Well I expect he was his usual patronising charming self!

Alea Sun 08-May-16 15:40:44

Doesn't anybody else think 1) result and 2) time England caught up?

nigglynellie Sun 08-May-16 15:48:20

I think the emergence of all.these women (especially Ruth Davidson) is terrific!. A bit more common sense and less testosterone can only be a good thing, not just in this country but world wide.

FarNorth Sun 08-May-16 16:06:38

Do you think if most MPs in UK parliament were women, that PMQs would still be so silly?

nigglynellie Sun 08-May-16 16:12:02

I think it would be different. Actually picturing Teresa May and Harriet Harman I think it would definitely be more sensible, more informative , and certainly more adult! Mind you that wouldn't be difficult!!!!

Devorgilla Sun 08-May-16 17:00:08

And there was I Alea thinking 'Girls on top' meant something else entirely. Well, slap my wrist.
Seriously though I am delighted to see women taking front stage in Politics in their own right. It is about time. Just watch out though for the men in the wings only to happy to force them back into the kitchen and bedroom. Oops! Slap my wrist again.

Sorry, a bit frivolous after a relaxing Sunday lunch.

TriciaF Sun 08-May-16 17:46:41

Yes, men will try to fight back. But they'll have to pull their socks up.
Another two areas women are beginning to dominate in are law and medicine.
I believe more women than men are taking Law degrees now, and here in France there are more newly qualified women doctors than men - don't know if it's the same in UK but it looked like it when TV showed the recent strikes.

JessM Sun 08-May-16 19:34:49

Westminster is lagging behind.
The house of commons is still only 30:70 in favour of the men.
The cabinet is approx 33:66
The shadow cabinet is approx 50:50

Yes I believe that there are more women completing medical degrees in the UK - about 60%.

GandTea Sun 08-May-16 20:07:43

I do get annoyed when I see that there should be more "women" "ethnic minorities" "gays" etc. What I want to see is the best people regardless in the right jobs.

Women are in a much better position to compete for jobs as few jobs today require brute strength. It would have been an exceptional woman that could drive a 40 ton lorry 20 years ago, today it requires brains not brawn.

Medicine and the law are good examples, where there should be zero prejudice.

High level politics does have some problems, as some countries still do not accept women as leaders.

Marmark1 Mon 09-May-16 09:25:44

Me too.The best candidate,what ever their gender colour or sexual preference ( so long as that doesn't involve kids) or religion.The most qualified capable candidate,that's fair and benefits everyone.
If you want strong capable women,Maggie was my hero,