Gransnet forums

News & politics

BBC children's programming under threat

(15 Posts)
JessM Tue 10-May-16 13:25:06

There would seem to be a determination by the minister, Whittingdale, to deliberately damage the BBC to help the commercial channels. Sky and ITV both doing nicely without any help apparently but he is "on a mission".
There have been 2 consultations but he seems determined to ignore what people have said and steam ahead with this plan.
His latest is that he wants to undermine CBeebies. Suspect there will be cries across the land on Mumsnet and here - where CBeebies is a godsend to grandparents when they need a 10 minute break.

There's a petition:

speakout.38degrees.org.uk/campaigns/save-cbeebies?utm_medium=facebook

daphnedill Tue 10-May-16 14:04:36

He's bonkers!

CBeebies is great and I would imagine quite profitable, because the BBC sells loads of merchandise related to the programmes.

The BBC killed off programmes for schools years ago, which was a great shame, because some of them were brilliant. I used them for years in the classroom and I occasionally bump into ex-pupils, now in their 20s or 30s, who remember them.

What does he want to leave on BBC?

LullyDully Tue 10-May-16 14:16:25

I fee l st r only about the quality of children's BBC. I also agree about school's TV, another help for teachers. The reading programme was very good. Have signed the petition.

trisher Tue 10-May-16 15:58:28

Signed. Hands off CBeebies!

Jalima Tue 10-May-16 16:06:27

Signed and shared

Purpledaffodil Tue 10-May-16 16:17:59

Signed and shared on FB. How short sighted to put profit first!

Alima Tue 10-May-16 16:21:00

Signed. Felt quite sorry for that bloke when he was duped by the floosie. No longer, the man is a moron.

Deedaa Tue 10-May-16 20:59:43

Signed and shared. All those awful ads on Nickelodeon say it all!

grumppa Tue 10-May-16 21:27:54

Signed, unusually for me. Very good article about CBeebies in last Thursday's Guardian, though it committed the unpardonable sin of failing to mention Abney and Teal.

Perhaps its appearance in The Guardian got up John Whittingdale's nose.

Judthepud2 Tue 10-May-16 23:31:11

Disgrace! angry Signed!

Jayh Wed 11-May-16 01:10:21

Signed and tweeted. angry

Anya Wed 11-May-16 07:29:02

Signed and stared on FB.

Hands off the BBC in general.

whitewave Wed 11-May-16 07:33:05

Yes signed. Wish there was a petition to get rid of Whittingdale he a bloody menace.

Bellanonna Wed 11-May-16 07:38:32

Signed. Hope the petition is successful.

varian Wed 11-May-16 12:18:04

I have signed this, passed it on to my children and others I know with children. Why should our grandchildren have to watch commercial TV interrupted by advertisements?

This is nonsensical right-wing ideology. The BBC may not be perfect but it is excellent in so many ways and admired worldwide.

Totalitarian regimes like to control the media and we must ensure that neither the Tories nor the SNP (who are campaigning to replace the BBC six o'clock news with "Scottish six") can get their hands on the BBC.