Gransnet forums

News & politics

70 year old mother

(4 Posts)
MoBrown Thu 12-May-16 10:35:53

Have you seen this about the new parents in India? She's 70 and he's 79.
Yes, they're both too old to be parents and there's a good chance won't be around for much longer - which is terrible for the poor child. But the light and love in their eyes is beautiful. What an awful situation. It must be awful living in a society where being childless brings such pressure and unpleasantness. It's hard enough to deal with without that.

vampirequeen Thu 12-May-16 17:08:35

I read somewhere that it was to do with an inheritance. They needed to have a baby in order to get their share of the money.

Iam64 Thu 12-May-16 22:25:50

That's what I read vampire. I believe ithe age of parents in Ivf needs regulation. I accept that medical science enabled this to happen (unless they're dishonest) but I find it repellent

Eloethan Thu 12-May-16 22:46:36

I think it was the Daily Mail which reported that the husband would be prevented from receiving an inheritance if he did not have a male heir. I don't know how true that is but if it is then I think it really is very unpleasant.

I don't think it's a very good idea for much older people - male or female - to have babies but anyone would think it was a heinous crime rather than probably being a very unwise decision. Men father children in old age. If the woman had a much younger husband who could care for the child if she died, would it then be deemed acceptable or is it one rule for women and another for men?