Gransnet forums

News & politics

Anyone watching Eurovision this weekend?

(71 Posts)
granoffour Thu 12-May-16 15:12:49

I've only just seen UK's entry and it's not bad! Obviously not the kind of thing I would choose to listen to but very mainstream and I reckon if this was released generally it would do very well.

ninathenana Thu 12-May-16 15:15:51

Not if I can help it !

nigglynellie Thu 12-May-16 15:19:56

No!!

BBbevan Thu 12-May-16 15:27:04

No thanks

Tegan Thu 12-May-16 15:28:47

Yes, I love it. However am [unusually] out of touch with all the entries this year. The Russian one sounds good.

granoffour Thu 12-May-16 15:33:43

Haha! What a response. We love it in a goggleboxy kind of way.

Charleygirl Thu 12-May-16 15:46:01

I would prefer to watch paint dry

hildajenniJ Thu 12-May-16 16:08:28

I'll be there with a drink and some nibbles to keep me going. Got to keep the family tradition going. ?????

Alima Thu 12-May-16 16:46:22

No, anything to avoid. If not doing some gardening I will read or catch up on some new DVDs we have.

Teetime Thu 12-May-16 17:00:58

No - I only ever watched it when Terry Wogan was on and then not much of it.

tanith Thu 12-May-16 17:05:28

No

Anniebach Thu 12-May-16 17:08:00

Not since Wogan left

merlotgran Thu 12-May-16 17:44:55

The voting will just reinforce DH's determination to vote OUT

wot Thu 12-May-16 17:46:31

I watched it once, when river dance was on. Glad I did. Not watched since. It's so formulaic.

rubysong Thu 12-May-16 18:18:18

I shall record it as we will be out. Last year we went to a Eurovision party, dressed in costume. Lovely party but we didn't get to watch the contest. The TV was on but no one took any notice of it and there was so much noise I couldn't hear the songs.

Bellasnana Thu 12-May-16 18:59:15

I shall no doubt be the only person in Malta who will not be sitting on tenterhooks in front of the tv willing the Maltese entry, Ira Losco, to win. They take it VERY seriously here.grin

phoenix Thu 12-May-16 19:04:57

I'd sooner stick pins in my eyes and bananas in my ears, and I hate bananas.

Iam64 Thu 12-May-16 19:28:01

I'm away but do have a soft spot for the Eurovision. We watched as children (teenagers) and when our own children were young - gave points, and made a party out of the evening, Iknow, I know, sad folks - but it was fun.

Ana Thu 12-May-16 19:33:28

I agree, it was fun in the 60s and 70s when the UK actually stood a chance of winning. Now it's all political voting it's just off-putting, and no one could ever replace Terry Wogan - it was worth watching just for his witty comments!

TwiceAsNice Thu 12-May-16 23:06:40

I can't stand it! And I'm even more annoyed because it's on instead of Casualty which I do watch

Eloethan Fri 13-May-16 00:12:23

I used to watch it every year but I'm not so keen now with all the "political" voting. I thought it was particularly unfair the year that Andy Abrahams was on - I thought he and the song were pretty good. Now I tend to watch just bits of it and then tune in at the end for the scoring.

Most of the songs are awful but occasionally there's a good one.

The River Dance performance was really memorable - the best interval act ever I think.

Newquay Fri 13-May-16 18:05:12

We have watched it but it's just not the same without Terry is it? Do they do a "highlights" prog so that you can whiz through it all like they do with the marathon does anyone know?
We've been invited-no idea why!- to DH's cousin. It's at a posh hotel and we're going with one of DH's sisters who can be emotionally needy? Not sure if we will know anyone else.
Have just phoned hotel "to check schedule"-it's going to be a long day. Ceremony at noon-be there for 11am-lovely will order a tray of coffee. Breakfast (!) at 3pm. Clear room at 6pm for evening do. . . .
DH and I will be in comfy armchairs somewhere snoring! It's an hour and half's drive too what with dropping off SIL. I'm teetotal so I'll be driving (not that DH or SIL drink much)!
Will need some stamina that's for sure-although not as much when we attend French dos-they go on till dawn and then start up again. Although we were much younger then?

Alea Fri 13-May-16 18:08:43

There is a curiously irresistible urge I get each year to watch the Eurovision Song Contest. Years ago it was Katie Boyle switching with ease from English to French, now European presenters out shout each other in Americanised English and think they are screamingly funny. I loved Sir Terry but also enjoy Graham Norton's asides.
However, it is still excruciating!!

Maggiemaybe Sat 14-May-16 15:20:25

Oh, I always say I'm not watching it and then I always do. I'm irresistibly drawn to it somehow. There's always something that makes me laugh out loud, like those licentious (Polish?) washerwomen, or one of Graham Norton's quips (he's not quite as sharp as Sir Terry in my opinion, but he is funny). Like Alea, I think the presenters are usually dire. I like our entry this year, but feel it's a slow burner, not something that's going to have enough impact to attract votes. Could it be nul points for us again?

merlotgran Sat 14-May-16 15:24:28

How come Australia is in it again this year? I thought last year was supposed to be a 'one off' confused