Gransnet forums

News & politics

UK? No

(192 Posts)
Anniebach Mon 30-May-16 13:02:28

BBC news announced the English football squad would be given extra protection as would the other home countries . Seems we should refer to the UK as England and Co. Or England and the rest

Ana Mon 30-May-16 13:29:58

Oh, that's just nit-picking. Did you want them to name each home country's team? Would that have made you any happier?

Ana Mon 30-May-16 13:31:08

Or is it the use of the word 'English' rather than 'England'? confused

Anniebach Mon 30-May-16 13:35:13

I am not nit picking, English or England ? Makes no difference, why not the four UK teams or the four nations UK teams ? Can we expect The Six Nations Rugby to be called England and the other five countries ?

rosesarered Mon 30-May-16 13:38:30

Just makes for faster news reading is all.Why always look out for perceived slights?

Anniebach Mon 30-May-16 13:41:22

So England and the other home nations makes for faster reading than the UK nations

rosesarered Mon 30-May-16 13:44:41

Is looking out for slights to the Welsh nation a hobby for you?

Anniebach Mon 30-May-16 13:46:11

You would think that Rosesarered, as usual you are wrong,

rosesarered Mon 30-May-16 13:47:51

You said...'the English football squad would be given extra protection( as would the other Home Countries) ......nowt wrong with that.

rosesarered Mon 30-May-16 13:49:09

It's a non story....will leave you to it.

Anniebach Mon 30-May-16 13:54:13

Thank you, Byee

granjura Mon 30-May-16 14:03:39

The town of Lens in NE France is very worried about both the English and the Welsh descending on them. They have decided to ban all alcohol sales, and all will be searched for alcohol- and they will also request to see the tickets, per person- and will send anyone without a bona fide ticket back to the large town of Lille- where a massive police and CRS contingent (the tough guys with big guns) will be there to 'contain them'.

Riverwalk Mon 30-May-16 14:04:45

This is about an IS threat - I doubt very much if they would specifically target Wales, as opposed to the UK.

The bastards don't know the difference.

This really is nit-picking.

Alea Mon 30-May-16 14:14:15

I think that is a dreadful indictment of English and Welsh football fans, GJ and reminds me of a post some months ago where somebody expressed similar fears about Scottish football fans in London. An attitude I deplore in both cases. hmm

granjura Mon 30-May-16 14:23:56

Hey, I was as surprised as you are when I read it in a French paper at the Autoroute stop. No, nothing to do with IS at all- just the reputation of English and Welsh fans.

Not my decision - as said, was extremely surprised.

FarNorth Mon 30-May-16 14:25:29

Isis/Daesh don't know the difference but the BBC should do.

granjura Mon 30-May-16 14:26:43

Nothing to do with Daesh either. Here, straight from the DM:

England and Wales fans face 24 hour alcohol ban in Lens city centre for Euro 2016 matchday as French police crack whip

Police expect a quarter of a million ticketless UK football fans at Euro 2016
England face Wales in Group B on June 16 at Lens' Stade Bollaert-Delelis
There will be an alcohol ban in the city centre for 24 hours from 6am

By Christian Gysin for the Daily Mail

Published: 17:00 GMT, 24 May 2016 | Updated: 22:12 GMT, 24 May 2016

nigglynellie Mon 30-May-16 14:31:17

Perhaps the announcer should have said 'The Welsh football squad etc' then we'd all have been happy - maybe!!!! I certainly couldn't care how it's worded, and so long as we get the general message, I doubt many others care either!!!

Anniebach Mon 30-May-16 15:15:01

No, the newsreader should have said The UK football squads , I accept it is no concern to others here , didn't expect it to but did hope one or two could have understood. And no Riverwalk, it is not nit picking

France had the good manners to acknowledge the countries

I don't think it was said because of the reputation of English and Welsh fans, most probably aware of the dislike between the two countries as in the six nations . Wales hasn't qualified since 1956 , hardly a sixty year reputation for being World Cup football hooligans

trisher Mon 30-May-16 15:34:11

Surely a UK football squad would be composed of players from any or all of the UK countries? So UK football squads would not be the same as the English football squad and other home country's squads.

Welshwife Mon 30-May-16 15:47:59

In fact Annie the dislike does tend to be far more on the side of Wales - English fans will support Wales if they are playing another nation unlike Welsh fans who will always support the other Nation.
I was out with a group of Welsh ladies one evening (in Wales and most of them had never lived anywhere but the town in which they were born) and the conversation started to be something about the English - I said nothing as I am English and did not wish to cause any dissent - then one of the women who had lived and worked for over twenty years in England suddenly said words to the effect that she could not understand why the Welsh people as a general thing always said anti English things - she said how in all the years she had worked with English people she had never once heard anyone saying the same sort of thing about the Welsh - does tend to be a one way thing.
My DH is very Welsh - and we have his son and Grandson coming to stay two weeks while the European cup is on - they have tickets for the matches at Bordeaux ( which we know quite well) and Toulouse. I suggested we also book a hotel in Toulouse when they go as we have never been there and initially DH agreed - then he said that no we would not go at the same time as he did not want to spend a couple of nights in the town which would be full of Welsh football fans! I will not put down the words he used but that was his considered opinion.
I think it is a pity that they get like this but I don't blame the French Police - being cautious is by far the best way to be.

thatbags Mon 30-May-16 15:49:47

Are the Italian and French squads getting extra protection? What counts as normal protection, or isn't there any normally?And protection from what or whom?

Anniebach Mon 30-May-16 15:59:17

I never support England in the six nations Welshwife, even the BBC commentators refer to a Welsh v English match as - the old enemies . I do support England in the World Cup and I supported Henman in tennis, oh that the sports coverage gave
Murray the same support when he first started to play as they gave Henman

Anniebach Mon 30-May-16 16:01:01

Trisher is not squad singular, squads plural

granjura Mon 30-May-16 16:03:32

Trisher I agree- I love that Ireland rugby squad includes both North and South- great example.