Gransnet forums

News & politics

Has it occurred to anyone that we were all played

(82 Posts)
Nonnie1 Sun 26-Jun-16 10:56:01

Cameron in allowing the referendum to go forward was playing with politics. Nothing to do with 'us' at all, more of a Conservative party game.

Boris and Co.. never thought for one minute that they would win. It was another political game.....

Whichever way you voted, you were all played.

We were the pawns.

They are all to blame for this disgraceful fiasco with their lies.

Cameron you ought to be ashamed of yourself. Look at you now throwing your toys out of the pram.

Where in the world is one honest politician? Sorry for the oxymoron.

daphnedill Sun 26-Jun-16 10:58:05

Well, there WERE plenty of warnings, but people said they didn't like being told what to think. hmm

Alea Sun 26-Jun-16 10:59:12

Or couldn't be bothered to listen as it was " boring"!!

Nonnie1 Sun 26-Jun-16 10:59:14

The warnings were all rubbish from both sides. One of them even said 'war'.

Nonnie1 Sun 26-Jun-16 11:01:29

I listened. My partner and I discussed everything in detail. I listened to nothing else. I watched the debates and the scandal mongering and the lies spouted from all sides, and then I made a decision based on what I thought was the right thing to do. On what I felt was right

They all ought to be ashamed if what the media says is to be believed..............

daphnedill Sun 26-Jun-16 11:03:44

I disagree. There were some stupid warnings from some on the Remain side, but there were plenty of people who did know what they were talking about, but they were dismissed because they were only 'experts'.

granjura Sun 26-Jun-16 11:03:44

Alea, yes, too long, boring, bullying even sad

whitewave Sun 26-Jun-16 11:07:54

We need to still be vigilant . Farage will try to derail anything that doesn't end in total divorce. And he will do so through lies and spin. This time he can't be believed.

granjura Sun 26-Jun-16 11:13:12

So perhaps this theory emerging is correct. Boris and Gove never ever wanted or thought Brexit had a chance. They wanted a significant % to vote for it- enough to send a strong message to the EU- but they were caught out at their own game- and won- well, LOST in fact. What a bloody mess! No wonder they are subdued and quiet now- they never thought in a century of Sundays they would actually win.

Who will pay the price- not them. In fact the main losers will be the Brexiters who believed their lies- as they will be the ones losing their jobs.

So sad, so tragic, so ******************

breeze Sun 26-Jun-16 11:14:18

Figured out the reason it's so warm today. Tis the heat coming off the red faces of certain politicians. Wonderful watching Business Sec. squirming horribly on Andrew Marr earlier. Forced into a corner where he effectively had to 'kind of' in that way politicians do, confess to saying untrue things for 'campaign purposes'. Maybe lessons can be learned from this, don't treat the electorate like children. Educate, set out your stand like a manifesto, instead of screaming 'we're all going to die' (expression).

suzied Sun 26-Jun-16 11:19:02

To those who say remainers should put up and shut up - no- we can't accept a narrow result based on lies, in a referendum that Cameron shouldn't have brought in the first place. Boris Johnson will be a terrible pm- he has no eye for detail - and all the negotiations are -details. Think what happened in Europe in the 1930s and the rise of extremism and the collapse of the political and economic system. We can't allow that to happen. We want our country back - the country that is outward looking and tolerant. we really will be little Britain alone , especially if Scotland leaves and we have to have a border in Northern Ireland.

Luckygirl Sun 26-Jun-16 11:23:21

But what choice did we have? - either not vote or listen to the arguments on both sides and vote. I realised it was a fiasco from the start - a dark day for Britain when we are all played for fools, but cannot ignore the "democratic" process and sit on our hands.

The margin of the the "majority" is so small as to be meaningless - and I am not a grumpy remainer with a beef. Whichever way you voted it was a farce.

Beammeupscottie Sun 26-Jun-16 11:32:54

Re; Farage.

"will someone rid me of this turbulent priest"

daphnedill Sun 26-Jun-16 11:39:33

Beammeupscottie, That very quote came to mind just a few days ago angry

The trouble is it turned Thomas a Becket into a martyr.

Devorgilla Sun 26-Jun-16 14:36:09

We did have a third choice to remain and fight another day if we still wanted to leave. Out the window now. Despite the narrow margin I accept the result and am just now waiting for the general discussions and then the detail to emerge. Did someone say on Marr or Daily Politics that the only 2nd referendum in the near future should be when they present the negotiated exit conditions against the status quo? Then the electorate could look at the details and make a final decision. This is 'grow up' time for those elected to serve us and I want to see leadership on this key issue from the word go in every party. Let's hope they have used their time wisely over this weekend.
I think 'I, Claudius' got it right when he said, "Let all the poisons in the marsh hatch out."

HildaW Sun 26-Jun-16 14:44:30

Nonnie you pretty much sum up how I feel.

Deedaa Sun 26-Jun-16 21:17:47

The whole thing was so badly thought out in the first place. It's ended up like the Iraq invasion without the weapons, no plans at all about what would happen next. Obviously a lot of it is down to Brussels but you'd think Gove and co would have had a few ideas scribbled down.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 26-Jun-16 22:14:08

Why do you say Cameron is "throwing his toys out of the pram"? I think he is being very reasonable.

Ginny42 Sun 26-Jun-16 23:15:05

I agree with you Jinglbellsfrocks. He's possibly thinking, 'Why should I be the one to fire the silver bullet when they loaded the gun?'

Nonnie1 Sun 26-Jun-16 23:47:08

Cameron offered us the chance to decide when it was far too serious a subject. He was playing the conservative party and it backfired.

Look at what is happening now. All of them.. bloody politicians do
ing deals behind the scenes.. but Cameron is the captain of the ship and what a bad steer.

No respect for the people. Cameron never a man of the people and that is clear now.

MaizieD Mon 27-Jun-16 10:16:04

With regard to the OP's question it was blindingly obvious to a great many people that we were being irresponsibly and unavoidably involved in an internal squabble in the Conservative party.

PRINTMISS Mon 27-Jun-16 10:46:46

I always felt that the referendum was held because there were so many gripes about so many things, - right to make our own laws, control the immigrant problem, sort out our own money, spend it where we need it most, all things governed by membership of the EU. So, if there is a general grumbling and rumbling about all these things, the thing to do is let everyone(the grumblers and the non-grumblers alike) have their say. The decision has been made, a narrow decision, but it is a decision, no good grumbling and rumbling any more about that. All parties now need to put their own houses in order, and get on with making this country as good as it can be.

Synonymous Mon 27-Jun-16 11:32:12

PRINTMISS a very good post and points! I will second that! smile

Greyduster Mon 27-Jun-16 12:43:00

Me too! ?

Luckygirl Mon 27-Jun-16 13:32:12

The result is in - it has to be accepted.

The option to remain and work for change is what we have been doing for years without success, and this was clearly demonstrated immediately prior to the referendum when DC came back with a pitiful result from his negotiations.

It had to be either IN (with the flaws of the existing EU) or OUT.